38 replies to this topic

#1 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:55 AM

Not winter, but colder than I would have previously considered going out in.

Will be +3 (about 36F) and a 25 kph wind if the forecast holds. Wind nice, temp not so nice. My friend got his foil this past week so there was incentive to go out. He is chomping to fly it so I figured that if he is willing to go out and try today then I will as well. Perhaps if I can ease into winter I can extend the flying through December then skip January and February when it is the worst for cold. That will be only two months then to get through before things should start to turn around again.

I have to go buy some gloves first, though. Need to find something warm, but not bulky.

Bart

#2 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:49 AM

Not winter, but colder than I would have previously considered going out in.

Will be +3 (about 36F) and a 25 kph wind if the forecast holds. Wind nice, temp not so nice. My friend got his foil this past week so there was incentive to go out. He is chomping to fly it so I figured that if he is willing to go out and try today then I will as well. Perhaps if I can ease into winter I can extend the flying through December then skip January and February when it is the worst for cold. That will be only two months then to get through before things should start to turn around again.

I have to go buy some gloves first, though. Need to find something warm, but not bulky.

Bart

hey that sounds like fun nice breeze here today aswell lots of sun too and +5 "heat wave"
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#3 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:54 AM

One thing that will help and is not bulky, and is cheap, is long john (thermal) underwear. Get gloves that are thin, but wind proof. This will help keep the fingers warm, but will still give some feel to the handles.
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#4 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:27 AM

What cold weather fliers need is a pair of handles with batteries inside, powering a heating coil to keep the fingers warm... ^_^

#5 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:40 AM

What cold weather fliers need is a pair of handles with batteries inside, powering a heating coil to keep the fingers warm... ^_^

NEWS FLASH... Kite flyer found dead today, struck by lightning from clear blue sky. police think electric handles.

#6 Robert

Robert
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:48 AM

NEWS FLASH... Kite flyer found dead today, struck by lightning from clear blue sky. police think electric handles.

Man those conditions scare the heck out of me - anything below 16 C is freezing for me, you guys need some sunshine :)

Wish you luck and good winds :)
If you are not having fun - you are doing it worng.

I'm not going to get old - it takes too long.

#7 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:49 PM

well that sucked,one of those days everything gets tangled, comes undone finally a line snapped. grrr.

but it was still funner than work.

ps. does anyone need a big ball of string?

#8 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:40 PM

hey that sounds like fun nice breeze here today aswell lots of sun too and +5 "heat wave"

I guess it got up to about where it said it would be. Maybe +3 or 4 and the wind was about 20 kph or so. I'm finding I cannot judge the wind very well. I think it is barely moving, but the sail suggests it is moving pretty good. I guess I just don't consider that 20 kph to the kite is a good wind. To me it feels like nothing.

One thing that will help and is not bulky, and is cheap, is long john (thermal) underwear. Get gloves that are thin, but wind proof. This will help keep the fingers warm, but will still give some feel to the handles.

I have long johns. Didn't need them today. Would need better ones if I go out in the dead of winter. I bought some cloves that a co-worker suggested. He has them. Thin, light, warm good grip. They are thin, they have grip, but are useless for the "warm". I ended up wearing wool mits which I had along as spares. Quite bulk, can't use them to work with the line, but they did serve a purpose that I didn't expect...

Man those conditions scare the heck out of me - anything below 16 C is freezing for me, you guys need some sunshine :)

Wish you luck and good winds :)

Trust me, I generally feel the same way. I do not even consider flying in October never mind November and possibly December.

well that sucked,one of those days everything gets tangled, comes undone finally a line snapped. grrr.

but it was still funner than work.

ps. does anyone need a big ball of string?

Funny how it is "string" when it is a mess, but "line" the rest of the time. Sorry you had such rotten luck today. I say that as I then say...

I had a fantastic day in the less than warm weather!

First, my friend had his new foil so I helped him get that in the air then set up. He hasn't got his set of quad lines yet so occassionally I had to help with a relaunch, but generally he had a blast flying behind me. That sucker was moving.

I started out with wildcat blue and I must say the wildcat isn't as wild as he used to be. Hovers. What a strang thing they are. A month ago I was cursing their very nature and now my biggest concern is just leveling them out and holding them steady. Reverse launch then hover, turn over then hover. Move up and down in the hover. Seems to be less of a problem now then before. Still working the rocking, but even that is much improved. Can't turn it into a controlled slide yet though. I see now what you guys were telling me about light winds and inverted hovers. It was much easier to keep the kite in the air inverted when the wind slowed down.

Then the wind picked up so I went back to the tamer vented. I switched the race rods into it from the std sail. It probably was a bit too light for a full vented, but I am finding that even in lighter winds I am now able to keep some air time and control with what I have picked up on here. Ideally, I think a mid-vent would have been perfect for today. I can't believe I even considered that as I flew today.

The vented did proportionally better in the hovers as I expected. I timed my hovers today. I hovered between my friend crashing his foil and there were a lot of times he kept it up in the air for a good long time. I rocked and wobbled during that time working on that control. He even took notice of the extended hover times.

Now, the big wool mits. What the bulk did was keep me from getting much of a death grip on the handles and boy does that every make a difference in how the kite feels.

I also tried the idea presented to me here to walk towards the kite when working on reversing it up the window. This did seem backwards to me, but it really did work good. Certainly that kite was not on a rail going up, but I did get a few backups to about 75% which is a big improvement on the 15 or 20 feet I was getting.

Also did a few dive/stops. Those are coming along better as well.

I noticed that horizontal flight low to the ground was more difficult to maintain a straight line, but about 20 feet up I could do that better.

I also noticed how much I do not notice anymore when the lines are twisted up and I am doing inverted launches almost exclusively where before I always had to roll the kite over or be hopelessly screwed up.

Another field to fly in as well today. I thought of it last night. Not as nice a park, but pretty open to the SE which is where the wind was from today. Not too many holes or ruts. Not a very busy area for people either, but today we had vehicles actually stopped to watch which was kinda cool.

Also good to try this while the weather is still "warmer" as a dry run for when it is quite a bit colder. Need to bring a thermos of hot liquid and still need better gloves.

I can't believe having this much fun can be legal.

Bart

#9 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

Sounds like a good day Bart. I had two sessions down at the beach today, the first cut short because of rain and then the second i seemed to get everything from 0 -25 mph winds today and then they were as bumpy as hell - a SW wind for me means it's coming off mountain and then the sand dunes. . . . still nailed some axels which are starting to feel more controlled....sweeeet!

Also watched some bloody idots with a doberman merrily stand back and watch their dog chase some kid down the beach and then it ran straight through my lines!!!

All the fun of kiting!

:sly:
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#10 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

One nice thing about Winter flying is no bugs. :D

I flew today in a light rain and a 12-20 knot (about 22-37 kmh) wind and temps around 12 C.
It's too bad that it gets dark so early or I'd still be flying.

#11 Guest_QuadQrazy_*

Guest_QuadQrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

their dog ran straight through my lines!!!

All the fun of kiting!

:sly:

I went to a near by beach a few months ago, and set up in a field far away form others, but had noticed that I was in the area where the dogs go (poo) :kid_brooding: . Eveyone was leting there dogs run over to me, and before I knew what was going on not only where there dogs in my lines but (poo) all over my shoes, and lines.

I tryed to move , but it was to late for that, so after I untied the dogs.
(the owners looking at me like I'm stupid, and not helping).
I packed up, and left, and have not been back since.

I was the only kite flyer there, and now I think I know why.

#12 boomzilla

boomzilla

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

learned with gloves, a second set of liners makes a great deal of difference in keeping the fingers warm...also, the liners are thin enough to use when doing kite assembly & line play out & attachment...g
glenn pickard
http://rifleart.com/

#13 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

Sounds like a good day Bart. I had two sessions down at the beach today, the first cut short because of rain and then the second i seemed to get everything from 0 -25 mph winds today and then they were as bumpy as hell - a SW wind for me means it's coming off mountain and then the sand dunes. . . . still nailed some axels which are starting to feel more controlled....sweeeet!

Also watched some bloody idots with a doberman merrily stand back and watch their dog chase some kid down the beach and then it ran straight through my lines!!!

All the fun of kiting!

No dog problems here yet. This "new" field has quite a bit of broken glass though. I think most of it has been crushed enough not to cause a problem. It is actually at the exhibition grounds so there could be all manner of nasty there if a guy actually went looking.

One nice thing about Winter flying is no bugs. :D

I flew today in a light rain and a 12-20 knot (about 22-37 kmh) wind and temps around 12 C.
It's too bad that it gets dark so early or I'd still be flying.

I think I may be looking for lights sooner than later. Perhaps not to much for winter, but so I can have them ready to go for early spring. Now that my friend has been good and hooked with flying we discussed possible winter flights and what we could do. We decided that into December may be possible and a day here and there come March, but don't hold out much hope for January and February which are usually our months of prolonged -30 and-40 temps. I think rain would be worse here than winter. Usually the rain is quite cold even in summer so it gets uncomfortable quickly to be wet.

I went to a near by beach a few months ago, and set up in a field far away form others, but had noticed that I was in the area where the dogs go (poo) :kid_brooding: . Eveyone was leting there dogs run over to me, and before I knew what was going on not only where there dogs in my lines but (poo) all over my shoes, and lines.

I tryed to move , but it was to late for that, so after I untied the dogs.
(the owners looking at me like I'm stupid, and not helping).
I packed up, and left, and have not been back since.

I was the only kite flyer there, and now I think I know why.

Okay, so that had to be beyond gross. I don't even think I could keep the lines after that. Yuck!

learned with gloves, a second set of liners makes a great deal of difference in keeping the fingers warm...also, the liners are thin enough to use when doing kite assembly & line play out & attachment...g

I'm going to dig deeper into the glove issue. I am also going to look at some heated ones that work on a set of batteries. I was okay with the mits today, but even they will not be enough when it gets to about -10. I also couldn't wind up the line so had to do that bare handed and that was not fun.

Bart

#14 Ant-

Ant-

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:50 AM

Or maybe some of these http://www.maplin.co...?moduleno=47714 ? I keep meaning to spash out on a pair. Probably too bulky but worth a try...

Ant

#15 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:44 AM

http://www.mec.ca

I'm going to contact these guys I think and see what they recomend. They have quite a few choices and I'm sure if I give them a good idea as to what I plan to use them for they can match a pair.

Bart

#16 Jim Dingsdale

Jim Dingsdale

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:02 PM

Bart.

Look into a pair of neoprene full fingered gloves.
Try a fishing tackle store or a scubadiving shop.
Have used wool fingerless gloves while fishing.
Fingertips get really cold, so put on neoprenes and in a minute my hands are warm.

#17 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:36 PM

This tip is probably so obvious that everyone knows it, but just in case it helps someone, I'll post it:

1. tie a half-hitch or figure 8 knot at the ends of your line:
half_hitch_loop.jpg

2. The half-hitch acts like a 'handle' on the end of your lines
half_hitch2.jpg

3. Instead of having to pick at a tight knot with your gloves off, you can easily grasp the 'handle'; even with gloves on
half_hitch3.jpg

#18 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

This tip is probably so obvious that everyone knows it, but just in case it helps someone, I'll post it:

1. tie a half-hitch or figure 8 knot at the ends of your line:
half_hitch_loop.jpg

2. The half-hitch acts like a 'handle' on the end of your lines
half_hitch2.jpg

3. Instead of having to pick at a tight knot with your gloves off, you can easily grasp the 'handle'; even with gloves on
half_hitch3.jpg

Actually, I would not have thought of that so thank you! I was already considering undoing those knots in the cold with gloves and wondering how I could speed up that process. My bare hands were quite cold even with it being +3 so at -10 it would be very uncomfortable.

Bart

#19 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:15 PM

I forgot to mention one other very cool thing (no pun intended) that happened yesterday. One of those moments where something happened and it wasn't until later that I realized what.

As I was playing around with the hovers I was upright about five feet up. I never can seem to do a clean transition from upright hover to a vertical hover so I try to practice that along with everything else. Yesterday I turned it to the right an it was pretty good for not wandering around so I decided I would see what would happen if I turned inverted at that height and that transitioned pretty good too. I figured I would try to go from inverted hover to another vertical hover so I turned right again and again made a nice turn. I turned right one more time then flew off.

A few minutes later I realized I had just done 4 clockwork points not even knowing that it what I had done. :doh:

It will probably be next year before I can duplicate that on purpose!

Bart

#20 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

Ok Bart ,

I am truly impressed...

First off, you are getting this hover thing down fast.. good for you and congrats!

Secondly... YOU ARE ACTUALLY FLYING IN THE COLD???? !!!

Seems to me I read and heard from you that you would *NEVER EVER FLY IN COLD WEATHER!!*

when the bug hits... it hits hard huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users