Photo

what to do about winter?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_QuadQrazy_*

Guest_QuadQrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:55 AM

Hello Bart I enjoyed reading your thread, and I HATE COLD WEATHER FLYING.

I have been flying for over 10 years, and never ever fly in cold weather, I'm a spring/summer guy.

I have found a few things to keep kites in my winter world ready for defrost to fly in spring/summer.
I have a bunch of kite wallpapers for my computer to look at to keep my mind on kiteing.
I put my kite together and hang it on a wall so I can keep it alive in winter.
I try to buy a new kite just before the new season of flying so I'm interested in going out to fly it.

Everyone in my kite club wants me to at least try to fly this winter, but I hate the cold so I'm haveing trouble understanding why would you want to fly when its cold outside.

Good luck with winter, and rember the kite will still be there ready to fly, and feel the sun.

#42 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

Hi Bart,
I think I may have an idea.

Meet some great woman that is into kiting as well... cuddle up for the winter and fly kite sticks together. ( sticks with small paper kites on the ends used to plan out routines while sitting in the comfort of the warm living room by the fire with a glass of wine, beer, hot cocoa.. ).. you get the drift.

ok..that was my two cents..

hugs
mousie

#43 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

Hi Bart,

Meet some great woman that is into kiting as well... cuddle up for the winter and fly kite sticks together. ( sticks with small paper kites on the ends used to plan out routines while sitting in the comfort of the warm living room by the fire with a glass of wine, beer, hot cocoa.. ).. you get the drift.

hugs
mousie

Mousie

Sounds like this will not be your first winter in Oregon. :innocent:
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#44 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

I am with bartman on the windchill factor. If you have never experienced temperatures that cold it is hard to imagine. I drove big truck at one time and had a load to Saskatoon SK in January of 2003. During the day it warmed up to zero Fahrenheit, and at night it dropped to - 20 Fahrenheit or colder. At those temps untreated diesel turns into a gel, any exposed skin will feel numb in seconds, you can feel the hair in your nose begin to freeze. If the block heater on your car gets unplugged while it is parked, you are stuck, the oil in the crankcase will be so thick it will not let the engine turn over. Now add a breeze and the apparent temps can make it feel so much worse. At zero degrees Fahrenheit with a light 5 MPH breeze it will feel like -10 Fahrenheit, at 15 mph it will feel like -19 Fahrenheit, BRRRRR!!!!!!!
I gave all the temps in Fahrenheit, for those of us in the USA that are not used to metric tables and formulas. Zero degrees Fahrenheit is about -20 Celsius.

On the flip side of this coin is heat. Over 120 Fahrenheit in Coachella, California in June of 2001. The sun actually hurt when it shined on the skin, the air conditioning on the truck only worked if the truck was moving....................
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#45 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

I am with bartman on the windchill factor.

<snip>

The first time we did Kites on Ice at Madison, Wisconsin it was quite cold.

I do not have the figures. We were wearing gloves, that is for sure!!!

Felix

#46 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:24 PM

Hello Bart I enjoyed reading your thread, and I HATE COLD WEATHER FLYING.

I have been flying for over 10 years, and never ever fly in cold weather, I'm a spring/summer guy.

I have found a few things to keep kites in my winter world ready for defrost to fly in spring/summer.
I have a bunch of kite wallpapers for my computer to look at to keep my mind on kiteing.
I put my kite together and hang it on a wall so I can keep it alive in winter.
I try to buy a new kite just before the new season of flying so I'm interested in going out to fly it.

Everyone in my kite club wants me to at least try to fly this winter, but I hate the cold so I'm haveing trouble understanding why would you want to fly when its cold outside.

Good luck with winter, and rember the kite will still be there ready to fly, and feel the sun.

I wonder if there is a screen saver out there someplace? I already have the kites assembled indoors. I'm still hoping for more nice days to use them. Unfortunately today was yet another bust with the howling wind that never did slow down like forecast.

Hi Bart,

hugs
mousie

This is the best idea yet! Might be too good. Could lead to less flying and more of somethin else. I filled in my eHarmony profile just in case and it said I had no matches :( . Oh well.

I am with bartman on the windchill factor. If you have never experienced temperatures that cold it is hard to imagine. I drove big truck at one time and had a load to Saskatoon SK in January of 2003. During the day it warmed up to zero Fahrenheit, and at night it dropped to - 20 Fahrenheit or colder. At those temps untreated diesel turns into a gel, any exposed skin will feel numb in seconds, you can feel the hair in your nose begin to freeze. If the block heater on your car gets unplugged while it is parked, you are stuck, the oil in the crankcase will be so thick it will not let the engine turn over. Now add a breeze and the apparent temps can make it feel so much worse. At zero degrees Fahrenheit with a light 5 MPH breeze it will feel like -10 Fahrenheit, at 15 mph it will feel like -19 Fahrenheit, BRRRRR!!!!!!!
I gave all the temps in Fahrenheit, for those of us in the USA that are not used to metric tables and formulas. Zero degrees Fahrenheit is about -20 Celsius.

On the flip side of this coin is heat. Over 120 Fahrenheit in Coachella, California in June of 2001. The sun actually hurt when it shined on the skin, the air conditioning on the truck only worked if the truck was moving....................

We've had many trucks where I work frozen up when those southern boys think they are going to drive through here on regular diesel in the dead of winter. I appreciate that you understand the situation!

...Kites on Ice...

That sounds really cool - literally as well.

Bart

#47 Guest_QuadQrazy_*

Guest_QuadQrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

I wonder if there is a screen saver out there someplace?

Bart

This is the best I could find, hope it helps.

http://www.screensav...ne.com/kite.htm

You can also take wallpapers, and put them in a folder for sideshow, and set up as a screen saver.

#48 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

I wish I could find that video of Iquad flying on the ice. It's here someplace. That's the way to take advantage of a bad situation. When I first saw that one I almost wanted to leave Florida in the middle of the winter just to try it out..

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#49 KYT ADIK

KYT ADIK

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:10 PM

<snip>

I'll need to find kite related things that I can do indoors at my house to hold my interest like drawing them with crayons or something, but it won't involve going outside in the snow, ice and cold to do it.

Bart

<snip>

Dude... Mini Kites are the way to go... It's by no means REV Flying but they are super cool, you can get crafty and create what ever... it's great! I've only ever made one... but I would sure consider making a whole bunch of different ones if it was that cold out side here in sunny Florida! :kid_smartass:

Starna*

Kiting Tampa Bay

Treasure Island Kite Festival & Sport Kite Competition<br style="background-color: rgb(238, 243, 248);">January 19-20 2013

#50 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:13 PM

Dude... Mini Kites are the way to go... It's by no means REV Flying but they are super cool, you can get crafty and create what ever... it's great! I've only ever made one... but I would sure consider making a whole bunch of different ones if it was that cold out side here in sunny Florida! :kid_smartass:

It actually flies?

Bart

#51 KYT ADIK

KYT ADIK

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:17 PM

Heck Yeah it flies!! on sewing thread on the end of 2ft " wand" otherwise known as a stick! I took mine to work.. and when works gets stressing.. i take out my kite, kept in a nifty tupperware and fly around the office for a few minutes.. it's awesome... very fun! the building of it was fun too if you like that sort of crafty thing.

Starna*

Kiting Tampa Bay

Treasure Island Kite Festival & Sport Kite Competition<br style="background-color: rgb(238, 243, 248);">January 19-20 2013

#52 Guest_QuadQrazy_*

Guest_QuadQrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

Miniature Kites

http://www.8ung.at/s...current_us.html

http://miniatures.ki...m/mini_kits.htm

Yes it flys, hade made quality kite, fits in a tube, and fits in your pocket.

Verry cool kite.

Another link

http://stores.ebay.c...2QQftidZ2QQtZkm

#53 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:26 PM

I can picture the reactions I would get at work. It would probably be a target for someone else's stress!

Bart

#54 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

Seriously, now that I have had some breakthroughs and want to get out and fly every chance I get now, what is going to keep me going through our winters here? It is not practical to be outside flying when we have a wind chill of -30 or -40C.

Each passing day now, while warm enough, has had only howling winds on the weekends which are unusable. More howling winds forecast for tomorrow which was my only possibly day this week. It will only get worse from here on in.

Now, a vacation to someplace warm is not in the cards so how do you guys get through the winter and still keep your interest level up there? I'm getting worried that I'm going to lose what I gained before next spring.

Bart

I spent a winter once in Grand Prarie, Alberta with my ex-wife. I have never lived through such a cold winter(-35c once) and wouldn't even think about flying kites. I was more into snow skiing at the time. It was even too cold for that, because it was always windy there. Every time you drove anywhere to get something you had a parking meter with an power connection for heating the water, oil and battery in the car. If you didn't pay, your car wouldn't start. There wasn't that much snow, but plenty of snow drifts covering the road. As you get near them with your car the air pressure of the car would clear it away. I bought a christmas tree at some market. When I got it home and it thawed out the needles dropped off. I just went in the woods and cut a fresh one and brought it home, no problem.
I would suggest finding a young lovely and cuddle up for the winter. Maybe she will teach you to sew. Then you can make some kites.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#55 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:28 PM

I'm convinced you guys do not know what a -30 or -40 wind chill is. You do not want to be outside. Winter is cold here. Colder than Colorado or the west coast by far. Even -20 wind chill is not fun. Wear whatever you want and it still won't be fun. I bounced the idea of flying in the winter off my friend tonight. He looked at me like I was insane. He said, "People actually do this with the wind chill?"

Surely at least some of you, even lurkers, must have problems with getting through winter and not wanting to be outside flying. It's YOU that I want to hear from the most. How others who dislike winter and being outside can keep yourself focused on flying again in the spring.

Ever hear of "Seasonal Affective Disorder"? I suffer with this to some extent. Not a major bout of it, but enough that by January/February I am crawling up the walls. I have to keep my mind active on as much as possible to get through it. Coupled with my general dislike for the cold and you see that while all the suggestions about just getting out there and flying are entertaining I am really serious when I say I am just looking for indoor ways to keep my new found interest alive through a long winter. I'm not being difficult, just truely interested in ways I can manage the interest without losing interest during months of winter. I have the videos to watch, the forum to read just need a bit more.

Bart

Hi Bart...
I do feel for you. Exposed skin can become frost bitten within 15 minutes with wind chills around 10-15 degrees F below zero. So, 30-40 below (F) is insane to be out there for any extended period of time unless absolutely necessary. In your case, I'd imagine a wind chill of zero degrees F would feel balmy and you'd probably fly.
Indoor is more uplifting than you think. I don't know if you've ever tried it or had a lesson, but it's wild to feel the kite load up like it does knowing that no forces other than what you made it do are involved.
I guess if you truly can't fly, watch the videos and read the forum... there are tons of pointers to pick up.
Good luck.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#56 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

Miniature Kites

http://www.8ung.at/s...current_us.html

http://miniatures.ki...m/mini_kits.htm

Yes it flys, hade made quality kite, fits in a tube, and fits in your pocket.

Verry cool kite.

Another link

http://stores.ebay.c...2QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Those little dual lines look pretty cool for outdoors, but I must not spend any more money on kite stuff this year. Already have about $300.00 worth of stuff either in transit to me or waiting to order. Too easy to go over budget!

Bart

#57 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:57 AM

There's no such thing as bad weather, only a poorly outfitted kite flyer.

If you wear enough layers you'll be both dry and comfortable. Maybe you need goggles, but for me, most of the time I've got my back to the wind. Maybe you need a face mask, but I just snug the hoods down a little tighter.

Start with a wicking layer (I prefer silk), then add an insulating layer (polartech is sufficient) then a wind-proof layer (Gortex rain-suit is my choice, with armpit zippers and a stout hood.)

If it's really tough outside buy a high quality snowmobile suit and wear that OVER everything else.

You can acquire boot covers called Neos, wear these over a pair of Gortex hiking boots, with both a wicking and another insulating sock.

Gloves or mittens complete the winter package, maybe a warm knit hat and excellent quality sunglasses which are required regardless of the weather.

If you don't own all this stuff now
you will eventually!

Warm and dry is only a VisaCard away. Try Cabelas, LandsEnd, or LL Bean for the perfect size in any of these garments. I am a Medium Tall, so I only shop by direct mail. It has taken my probably fifteen years to assemble my all-weather recommendations and I'm never cold or wet anymore!

#58 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:06 AM

When you fly in winter the wind is at your back

Where is the wind during other times of the year???
Melanie in Tennessee
Melanie in Tennessee

#59 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

That is 31mph gusting to 43mph,

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like a LOT of fun no matter how cold it is!!!!!
Brealk out the teabag supervent!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!
Melanie in Tennessee

#60 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

There's no such thing as bad weather, only a poorly outfitted kite flyer.

If you wear enough layers you'll be both dry and comfortable. Maybe you need goggles, but for me, most of the time I've got my back to the wind. Maybe you need a face mask, but I just snug the hoods down a little tighter.

Start with a wicking layer (I prefer silk), then add an insulating layer (polartech is sufficient) then a wind-proof layer (Gortex rain-suit is my choice, with armpit zippers and a stout hood.)

If it's really tough outside buy a high quality snowmobile suit and wear that OVER everything else.

You can acquire boot covers called Neos, wear these over a pair of Gortex hiking boots, with both a wicking and another insulating sock.

Gloves or mittens complete the winter package, maybe a warm knit hat and excellent quality sunglasses which are required regardless of the weather.

If you don't own all this stuff now
you will eventually!

Warm and dry is only a VisaCard away. Try Cabelas, LandsEnd, or LL Bean for the perfect size in any of these garments. I am a Medium Tall, so I only shop by direct mail. It has taken my probably fifteen years to assemble my all-weather recommendations and I'm never cold or wet anymore!

I see visions of the Michelin Tire Man standing out in the snow, but it won't be me. Just because you can dress up for that kind of weather doesn't mean you want to! The only chance I would go out in the winter to fly would be if the temp got above freezing and there was a warm wind blowing. That would be about April!

Bart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users