• 260 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:23 PM

Hi all
I have 90lb 80ft lines
and
90lb 120ft lines
also
150lb 80ft lines
I am thinking of trying some shorter lines and would like to know what you would recommend line weight and length wise ?
also how to go about it
can you buy the linesets you are recommending or would I have to make them up ? ---- if so what line should I buy and where from ?

All the best
Baz

Maker of the ULTRA NO SNAG HANDLES

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#2 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:42 PM

Baz,

I just went through the same thought process recently and settled on LaserPro Gold in 90# weight for all my (outdoor) line sets. I also decided to learn to build my own line sets ... if you can correctly tie your shoes, you can probably build your own line sets. I decided to learn to build line sets so I would be able to repair any sets that I break ... I live 130 miles from the closest kite store. Several shops build good line sets in any length you request ... your UK mates can put you on to which they prefer.

I bought bulk line and was able to build an assortment of lengths for not much more than the cost of a single set of long lines. Since I already had an 80 foot line set, I added a 120, 50, 30 and 15 foot set of lines. The 120 and 80 foot lengths are my favorite for flying alone when the winds are acceptable. The 50 foot set is great for low winds ... there's enough delay in my newbie brain without a delay in the handle-to-kite timing that happens with the longer line lengths. The 30 foot lines are also good for very low winds. The 15 foot lines are fun when the wind almost disappears ... might build an even shorter line set this winter.

Since you already have 120 and 80 foot lengths, a 50 foot length would be my suggestion if you're going to buy pre-built sets ... either LaserPro Gold or Shanti in 90# weight. The difference you notice going from your 120 foot set to your 80 foot set can be extrapolated to a 50 foot set ... it's almost like flying three different kites.

Cheers,
Tom

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

Hi all
I have 90lb 80ft lines
and
90lb 120ft lines
also
150lb 80ft lines
I am thinking of trying some shorter lines and would like to know what you would recommend line weight and length wise ?
also how to go about it
can you buy the linesets you are recommending or would I have to make them up ? ---- if so what line should I buy and where from ?

All the best
Baz

For short outdoor line sets, I order from The Kite Shoppe (www.thekiteshoppe.com). They are based in Vancouver, WA. The only short line set I use outdoor is 30ft, 90lb, Laser Pro Gold.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

Thanks fellas 50ft and 30ft sounds good -- what about 50lb line for low/no wind
are there any UK people that have a preference and if so what would it be
Also where to buy them from or what to make them out of ?
Is there anyone in the UK that will make them up to order ?
Baz

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#5 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:59 PM

Thanks fellas 50ft and 30ft sounds good -- what about 50lb line for low/no wind
are there any UK people that have a preference and if so what would it be
Also where to buy them from or what to make them out of ?
Is there anyone in the UK that will make them up to order ?
Baz

50LB is not necessary. There really isn't much of a difference in weight when using short lines other than strength. The Kite Shoppe makes wonderful line sets, however it is perfectly acceptable to make them your self out of 90 lb Laser Pro Gold. If you decide to make them your self, be sure to stretch out the lines as much as you can before using them.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

Laser Pro Gold in 90# x 30' Quad sets have been requested like crazy in the past few months! :)

see vids of John's examples of 'street flying' :)

Thank you to ALL for your requests and support!!!

Hugs,
T

and yes, I ship to the UK..... :)

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:25 AM

i made a 25 foot set that i think is really fun to fly with
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:45 AM

50LB is not necessary. There really isn't much of a difference in weight when using short lines other than strength. The Kite Shoppe makes wonderful line sets, however it is perfectly acceptable to make them your self out of 90 lb Laser Pro Gold. If you decide to make them your self, be sure to stretch out the lines as much as you can before using them.

I've never personally found it necessary to stretch a short line set before use; there's so little pull on the kite that it never becomes an issue.

(though, I don't remember the last time I bothered checking any set for equality, so I may be a particularly poor person to listen to on this).

As for the weight, I do prefer 50# line for short sets. While I can't imagine it would matter on a 5-8' set, for a 15-25' set, I think the line makes a difference. That said, if you've got old line lying around, by all means, just use it! I've got a set of quad 90# 80' lines that's got a snapped line; I keep carrying it around with me intending to make the 3 good lines into a quad set of 40' and a quad set of 20'!

#9 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

The really light lines can be a nuisance when 3D flying.
I have a set of 30# x 50' and the line is so fine that it tangles around every weed and snagger on the field.
Even worse, it's so thin that it's very difficult to undo the tangles, let alone see which way the snarl goes.
I love 50# in the longer lengths in light breezes, but prefer 90# if I'm doing 3D.

#10 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:37 PM

Does anyone know of a place in the UK to buy quality quad line sets
around 90lb 30ft length

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#11 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:48 PM

I don't think there is such a place. Probably the best thing to do is to make them up yourself. A number of places sell shanti line on reels, but I've not seen laser pro. You will also need a sleeveing kit which comes with instructions. And your good to go.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#12 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

I don't think there is such a place. Probably the best thing to do is to make them up yourself. A number of places sell shanti line on reels, but I've not seen laser pro. You will also need a sleeveing kit which comes with instructions. And your good to go.

Sailor

When you say shanti line -- is there a particular brand name that I should buy ?

Baz

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#13 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

This is the stuff I meant:

http://www.fractured.......at&catId=25

I am afraid this is the only 'shop' I have found selling it, but to be really frank I (and I know a number of other people have the same view) would not buy from them on principle - if they cannot keep their forum under control and free from personal abuse I don't see why they should have my financial support. I am sure there are other suppliers but I haven't done the research as I have not had the need to replace any lines.

I understand (not from personal experience) that Climax is pretty good too - see here for the Climax range - and may be more easily available

http://poolekites.co.uk/climspec.htm

There are prices on that link, but I have not used this supplier so cannot vouch for them one way or the other. I am sure googling climax will bring another supplier somewhere, although thinking about it googling "Climax kite line" may cut out a few of the unsavoury sites that "Climax" may bring up.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#14 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

Shipping even a SMALL package to the UK is crazy! $35 for a small box is the best I can do for S&H and insurance and the custom forms with tracking info supported.

I'm sorry, but you get what you pay for. :(

I custom make the line sets one by one, one at a time, custom ordered. Sleeved and stretched on a winder. Using ONLY Laser Pro Gold.

I have to say, all the feedback that I have had, they are the best out there.

Good luck!! :)

Theresa

#15 Alex R

Alex R

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:05 PM

Shanti, Laser Pro, Blueberry, Climax, etc are all brand names.
This may be a useful link also, hope it helps. :confused!: :confused!:

http://www.kites4u.eu/index1.html

Alex
Melbourne,
Australia.

Posted Image <a href="http://s253.photobuc...new_logo-6.gif" target="_blank">

#16 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:23 PM

Thanks a lot all of you
If anyone knows of any other sources for either made up or bulk line
please feel free to post a reply
Baz

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#17 Alex R

Alex R

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:37 PM

Here's another link.

http://www.kiteworks.co.uk/Lines.shtml

Alex
Melbourne,
Australia.

Posted Image <a href="http://s253.photobuc...new_logo-6.gif" target="_blank">

#18 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:07 AM

I can recommend Kites4U. I bought some stuff from them recently and their service is second to none. They even rang me up to tell me I had ordered incorrectly, and corrected the order with me which lowered the price! Then texted me when the send the stuff along with the post office reference number so I could track the delivery.

Kiteworks is fine too, but chalky (who runs it single handed I believe) is often off ill and stuff can take a while to get to you. On the other hand I understand he has been supporting UK kite flying for many years, and that has to count for something. Probably best to ring him if you decide that is your source.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#19 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:16 AM

Shipping even a SMALL package to the UK is crazy! $35 for a small box is the best I can do for S&H and insurance and the custom forms with tracking info supported.

I'm sorry, but you get what you pay for. :(

I custom make the line sets one by one, one at a time, custom ordered. Sleeved and stretched on a winder. Using ONLY Laser Pro Gold.

I have to say, all the feedback that I have had, they are the best out there.

Good luck!! :)

Theresa

T makes fantastic line sets. Just a shame she is so far away.

#20 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:39 AM

Sailor

When you say shanti line -- is there a particular brand name that I should buy ?

Baz

Shanti is the name of the company, and Speedline is the pure spectra. You don't want Zipline, which is Shanti's blended line. Very good for blended, but not pure spectra.

LPG has a coating that many flyers like - keeps the line feeling 'stiff'. Can't attest to how it's made, but the Shanti Speedline has the longest fibers in the industry, so less stretch. Plus incredibly durable. I have a set that had a fiber fray 1 year ago, and am still flying on these with confidence. And we fly in rough conditions for linesets - sand and saltwater at the beach - and fly year round.

I personally have both kinds and don't care one way or the other except that Shanti is Much more accessible! And I know it's quality and durability.

This is the line that I sell, and yes, I can send you bulk or hand make a set for you, but the shipping could be exorbitant!

Looks like you do have some fine options in the UK that would be much more 'cost-efficient' ;)

Cath :sign_kitelife:

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users