10 replies to this topic

#1 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:20 PM

Okay, I am practically beside myself tonight. Travelled to the next city to the west to, hopefully, meet up with other kite fliers there and get a good afternoon of flying. I brought along my new friend, Ken, from here and we ended up meeting Patrick there who flies foils and does the buggy thing. Not too great a wind for me for the first hour. I still need that optimum breeze to get things going, but it was enough to try a foil and Ken really liked the foil. After an hour he was flying quite well with it. I gave one a whirl as well and I'm not a convert, but it did have similar characteristics to the Rev.

After the first hour I was able to get my std sail with the 2 wrap rods in the air (I generally an still afraid of the 2 wraps because I still tend to put it down hard at times, but it was okay). After a bit the wind picked up to the point I felt the vented would be better so I put that on the lines. The wind was now really nice around 15 kph gusting to 21, but fairly steady and no big drops. They have an excellent area to fly there. Mostly open soccer fields. Ground was hard I could barely get the stake suck in!

With the vented up I made repeat launches and turned it over and tried to hold it. Over and over watching the wobble and letting it float as best I could - not overthinking, trying to keep the lines low and giving it time to react. If things got frustrating I took it up and just flew around doing nothing, but also tried to bo backwards horizontal during that "play time". I was impressed that I could do that fairly well and thought if I can do that and not have it flip all the time I should be able to do the same thing inverted. So, over again and to the ground. Brake, get it wanting to turn over, more forward to bring it lower, brake, correct some of the wobble. Repeat!

At the end of the time we had to fly, I was getting 2 and 3 second hovers with about half the wobble I had the other day and some of the hovers were just a foot off the ground. Needless to say, I was wanting to jump up and down when it was all over. I even managed one reverse launch up to the 20 foot mark before the roll over, but then turned it back over and had a total vertical reverse climb to the top!

I was able to verify one very important thing today. I tried an upright hover close to the ground. I can do them higher up pretty easy now, so I thought I would try it lower. It was hard to do, BUT, just like you guys have been telling me, that inverted low hover was much easier once I got some of the wobble out. I could start the inverted hover attempt at 20 feet then give some forward thrust to bring it lower, stop it and repeat until it was almost at the ground.

Did I mention I'm beside myself tonight?!

Now the bad news. My potential Rev flyer wants a foil. I'm okay with that, it is still someone to fly with and he really enjoyed himself with it. I asked him what he thought about it and he was grinning from ear to ear. He said he was getting so hooked especially when he started to get results with the foil. He said cost wise he could do a foil right now, but not a Rev. Patrick has never flown a Rev so he gave my vented a shot. It came pretty easy to him with all his foil quad experience. He was blown away with how it responded. He said it all with, "I'm getting one of these!" before handing it back off to me. Too bad he is 2 and half hours away!

So while I dive bombed the ground, Ken was learning all about flying a foil and Patrick was making circles around us on his buggy. It was an excellent day!

Thanks everyone for keeping me pumped over the last week. I can hardly wait to get out tomorrow and try to build on today.

Bart

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

Well done.

Dont loose sight of the fact that ALL kiters have to start at the beginning. By that I mean the most accomplised fliers were once where you are.

I think you are no longer at the beginning, you have started your journey.

What is fantastic is that once started it is a journey you can be on for the rest of time. Even when you are not flying, you are still a flier.

I lovve your enthusiasm, keep the posts coming. When a few weeks ago you were doubting it was for you.

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

Wonderful, keep it up Bart. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

Great news Bart. But your post's entusiasm just makes me want to be starting out all over again.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#5 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:53 PM

Great news Bart. But your post's entusiasm just makes me want to be starting out all over again.

I'm with Jeremy (no not in that sense!) ... its great re-living the experience vicariously, and believe me most of us are not that far removed from where you are now.... keep the post coming Bart ;)

#6 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:51 AM

Woo Hoo! That's great, Bart! Sounds like things are really starting to come together for you!

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#7 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

Yeah, I think I must have been on glue a few weeks ago when I was considering selling them! I'm glad you guys are enjoying the journey as I post. It is giving me reason to improve so I can have something to report!

So, got out again today. Totally different wind conditions and terrain compared to yesterday. More sheltered and light wind. The kind of extremes I don't do well in. I thought I would give it a go anyway with the std sail and the scary two wraps. Much to my delight I kept it in the air the whole 2 hours. I do not recall having to walk back to it because of a stall or other disaster. This could be my lower wind training day which should open up the available window of usable weather for me in the future. I did need to walk backwards a number of times and pump the handles to get altitude, but it flew.

I'm really starting to see the differences now between the standard sail and the vented. Very different beasts on the end of the line. The standard is a wild cat and subject to sudden movements. The vented is more mellow and predictable. Just like they have their own personailities. As I mentioned, most of the time I flew with the wild cat today.

The name of the game today was to improve on yesterday so no big breakthroughs. Things were harder with the std sail by at least a factor of four. No really great inverted hovers, but I did get hovers from it, just more wobble again that I didn't want to see, but I considered any hover a "good hover" if it was fairly low and the kite didn't touch the ground before turning over. I could get a couple seconds here and there. I'm still losing track of right and left to make tip adjustments for the wobble.

When the wind seemed to pick up I used the vented for the last 20 minutes. As I have come to expect with it, the hovers were easier. Easier doesn't mean rock solid on command, but I seemed to be able to feel, or "get" the float better. The glory moment with this one today was a nice lower hover, fairly solid, for a good four seconds while I walked backwards slowly.

Today I also worked on keeping my hands lower and releasing the "death grip" on the handles so I can get better feedback. Things went better when I accomplished these two things, but both will be bad habits to break as I found myself gripping too hard and flying at my ears more than once.

Tomorrows forecast is rather dreary. I hope it improves or I will be out of luck for any kind of flying. 50 kph winds and 70kph gust which will be too much for me. If tomorrow is missed it will be the weekend again before I can practice again. I can't believe how I am now chomping at the bit looking for flying time. I feel I'm on a countdown to the day when it will be too cold here to do anything until next spring and it will be a long winter!

The other thing I noticed today was the number of cars going by that slowed right down as they went. There are always a few, but today just about every other car creeped past. At those times I tried harder to "put on a show" which for me meant not letting it touch the ground!

Bart

#8 Windbag

Windbag

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

[quote name='bartman' date='Oct 19 2008, 06:29 PM' post='32200']
Yeah, I think I must have been on glue a few weeks ago when I was considering selling them! I'm glad you guys are enjoying the journey as I post. It is giving me reason to improve so I can have something to report!

WOW! Bartman the tone of your posts have changed considerably. It's amazing how a little success can change your attitude.

You can do this and you are.

The other thing I noticed today was the number of cars going by that slowed right down as they went. There are always a few, but today just about every other car creeped past. At those times I tried harder to "put on a show" which for me meant not letting it touch the ground!

It's definitely fun to have people watch & be entertained by your flying.

Congratulations.
Have fun, Ray.

#9 deebs1596

deebs1596

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

hey bartman,
just remember to keep your eye on the prize and to remember the most important thing... TO HAVE FUN!! :D
every time you go you will find that things will become easier over time. it takes time and practice; i find the fun i have worth the effort. good winds to all and the best of luck bartman-we could all use a distraction from the current economic situation here in North america....but thats waaayyyy off topic and im not going there. dont know enough to argue B)
----Dan-----

lost in thought or lost in a field... either way send a search party

i fly what i can and stare at what i cant.

#10 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:21 AM

Bartman hang onto your thrill as you venture on your journey.. maybe write a blog ?
a lot of us are hankering after these first flushes of joy and wonderment.

(7 months and counting, and no I have not learnt everything yet.... but the curve is less steep these days).
1 of the 47.

#11 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

Sadly, nothing will be learned today. The wind is crazy even in the sheltered areas. I briefly toyed with the idea of using the 2 and 3 wraps in the LE, but decided I was not ready for that kind of attempt and even with that I think the wind is far beyond a safe limit. I fear the kite would be destroyed. Real pity since I took this day off work to get a bunch of chores out of the way and finished hours earlier than planned. I could have had a good two hours off flying. Drat!

So probably nothing until this weekend and with each passing day now the weather could decide for me when the season is over. Hopefully a few more flying days yet I hope.

Bart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users