21 replies to this topic

#21 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

Have one, used it for several years until it decided that gale force winds are 8 mph. Washing the rotor hasn't helped yet. :angry:

For direction and some force clues, I use some tassels on a stick.

For basic wind speed - when I walk down-wind to layout my lines, if I cannot feel the wind, then I know it is about the speed of an old-man-walking (say 5 mph max).
If the wind seems cut in half, then estimate 8-10 mph.
I fly almost exclusively at the beach, since our local winds rate zero on a goodness scale of 1 to 10. So, I look at the sand.
Dry sand is noticeably moving on the surface around 12 to 15 mph.
Dry sand looks like the entire surface in moving around 20 mph and up.
Wet sand means go home - any wind would have dried the surface within 30 minutes. :kid_cussing:

Like other commentators, I found the wind gauge to be a valuable learning tool. It helps calibrate your senses. It explained to me why my dual line kites became unmanageable when the whole surface of the beach was moving faster than I could run. (Oh yeah - kite flies in 8 to 20 mph winds. In 21 mph winds, it either breaks or pull your arms off. :kid_smartass:)

If within your budget, a $50-$60 gauge will certainly help you grow in your hobby. But necessary? Not.

Just one opinion - please weigh with other opinions.

P.S. Just wait until those young whipper-snappers that claim they use their ear-hair reach my age! :kid_devlish: Then they will have to shave the darn stuff to become publicly presentable.

Fair winds.
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#22 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:58 AM

I have one .... but it very rarely changes what I actually take out the bag.

It gets used for 2 real purposes these days...

Its primary use is to see what the wind RANGE is where I'm flying if I feel there are fluctuations that have me between 2 revs. Normally this would have me averageing between over powered and under powered. If the meter seems to support theis then I just go for the appropriate B2 and I don't have to care beyond that.

It's seconday use is when the wind is hauling a** and I want to quantify to my friends just how awesome a time I'm going to have ... LOL

Beyond that, it's just been used to calibrate my feel for the wind over time. I've found in both the power kite circles as well as rev people I know that a wind meter is used when you're new for calibrating the hairs on the back of your neck and for findoing out just how strong the wind REALLY was ... but not much beyond that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users