#81 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded... Great information and a lot for me to work on before the event. Here in Wisconsin, winter has already shown it's ugly face (35 degrees and snowing today):kid_cussing: so practicing will be few and far in between. But, if I'm not confident at fly time, I'll hang back, watch, and learn!

Thanks again!
Jynx :cat:

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#82 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:55 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded... Great information and a lot for me to work on before the event. Here in Wisconsin, winter has already shown it's ugly face (35 degrees and snowing today) :kid_cussing: so practicing will be few and far in between.

We were just doing some team flying in downtown Chicago last weekend in the same temperatures (1 C). If you like, check out the IKE forum and join us for some club flies before Huntington Beach. We'll be flying in the winter and several of us will be going to H.B. too.
Post on our forum and I'll bet you can get a few members to join you at the Milwaukee News Years Day fly.

And come early to HB. I'll be on the beach by Tuesday or Wednesday and I'll be doing team flying with anyone who wants to join in.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#83 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded... Great information and a lot for me to work on before the event. Here in Wisconsin, winter has already shown it's ugly face (35 degrees and snowing today):kid_cussing: so practicing will be few and far in between. But, if I'm not confident at fly time, I'll hang back, watch, and learn!

Thanks again!

Jynx, as Mike says, we may have at least a couple of us flying on New Years day in Milwaukee. I'm planning on it. As long as the wind chill isn't below zero, I should be there. ;)

I'd be glad to work with you on team flying if the opportunity arises. Check in with us on our forum for local club fly and festival info.
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#84 lummas

lummas

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

All good info and thx to all who responded. Really don't think there is anything to add on skill level right now. I will be chatting with Dave shortly to get a better handle on precisely what we are going for at KP7 and then we can iron out what is involved, as there have been many suggestions here.

For instance there is a big difference between "lets get the most revs in the air at once as we can" vs "lets put up a very ;arge group of revs and make them do any kind of recognizable formations"

Thanks,

Mark.

#85 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:31 PM

Thanks again!

Jynx

One thing I did to get the hang of flying with other kites in your space is to put up a single line kite and use it as a "target". Fly up to it, back away, fly around it (being careful not to cut your lines on the SLK's line).

Doing this will really help you control your hover, which is so very important in flying with others.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#86 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:40 PM

Would be great to get a chance to bounce my kite off you guys IF you make it up here for the Cool Fool Festival. One way or the other, I'll be there! Thanks for the offer to work with me. Hopin' I have a few opportunities to fly (practice/practice/practice) before then. Winter came way too quickly!

I HATE WINTER! Huntington is just an excuse to defrost my bones.

Thanks again,
Jynx

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#87 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:29 PM

Hi Jynx... (that sounds like fun :kid_smartass: )
Just want to welcome you to the forum and the dark side; although I think Revs are the sunny side, personally.
The only thing I can add to your practice sessions it to always have fun; that's the most important thing.
Read the threads on the forum; including the ones from way back when. The info does "stick" in your brain and when you're out there by yourself and you get "stuck" you'll be pleasantly surprised on how you can handle certain things just by recalling what you've learned.

Good luck; see you in H.B.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#88 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

Love2Fly-

Thanks for your response!

Been looking back on quite a few threads, and took-in quite a bit here and on the KiteLife site.

Began flying quads this June, and I'm still trying to get-up-to-speed. One thing I must mention is that for a pure beginner (newbee as I am) it's often difficult to understand some of the veteran lingo and advice. I think that, as we improve, we sometimes forget where we came from (I come from the ditches with little but the DVD, Rev pamphet, and one patient local Rev'r. for encouragement).

I am currently emailing back and forth with a UK newbee that complained about the same basic problem.

When I initially purchased my 1st Rev, I was told to watch the DVD, and read the Rev pamphlet, that it would explain everything and instruct me on "how to get started". WRONG! The DVD, though very interesting as to what I may someday be able to do, was no help. Nor was the pamphlet because it's written by (and seems written for) veteran flyers. Now when I watch the DVD and look at the pamphlet, (with some flying time under my belt) it all sounds so simple and makes perfect sense. But at the beginning, I thought I was the only one on earth that was too stupid to ever learn how to keep the dang thing in the air! Same for the Brit that I have kept in contact with. He asked a rather simple question as to a suggested first time Rev. I read the answers he received and felt his pain. I responded and told him, as a newbee, what I experienced, what I suggested and why, and gave him a little "it'll be allright" outlook. We have been (Kitelife) buddies since.

I'm afraid that many newbees give up too soon, thinking as I did. I have taught (showed) my two sons and daughter how to fly (kind-of). I told them that it's like first learning how to ride a bike. If you think about it too much, you crash. Relax and just go with your natural feelings, and ride (fly) off! So far it has worked for us (less some more difficult movements, which I have yet to accomplish).

It would be great to have a forum for newbees, answered to/by newbees who, by luck, made it through the first stage/s of crashes and made it on to better things! I've been lucky, especially for an elder flyer! I fear that there are many out there that have just given up, for lack of those needed "it'll be allright!" word/s.

Kiting (especially Quading) has been, without a doubt, one of the most fasinating and exciting sports I have ever taken up (and I ride my Harley, have sky-dived, Scuba dived, bungeed, etc.). I can't fully explain it, it's just obsessive! As, I'm sure, I didn't have to tell you or anyone else that holds much more experience than I. Thank goodness I never gave up!

I want to thank you, and those who I've had the pleasure of contacting, for their patience, understanding, and help, to a newbee/s like me! As in motorcycling, It's a family affair I already feel a part of.

Sincerely,

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#89 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

Love2Fly-

Thanks for your response!

Been looking back on quite a few threads, and took-in quite a bit here and on the KiteLife site.

Began flying quads this June, and I'm still trying to get-up-to-speed. One thing I must mention is that for a pure beginner (newbee as I am) it's often difficult to understand some of the veteran lingo and advice. I think that, as we improve, we sometimes forget where we came from (I come from the ditches with little but the DVD, Rev pamphet, and one patient local Rev'r. for encouragement).

I am currently emailing back and forth with a UK newbee that complained about the same basic problem.

He asked a rather simple question as to a suggested first time Rev. I read the answers he received and felt his pain. I responded and told him, as a newbee, what I experienced, what I suggested and why, and gave him a little "it'll be allright" outlook. We have been (KiteLife) buddies since.

Jynx,

Yes, it probably slips our minds from time to time that not everyone in the audience has the same experience or background. If there's ever something that doesn't make sense, please ask. One thing about kite flyers... we LOVE to help others learn. It's as rewarding to see someone get better as a result of your tutoring as it is to learn something new yourself.

A lot of us aren't all that far ahead of you, really. I'm less than 2 years into this myself. It will come fast, once the bug bites you.

It's a blast. Welcome to the obsession. :kid_smartass:
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#90 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

"Hi Jynx" (again.... sounds like fun :kid_devlish: :kid_smartass: )

I'm only flying since the end of March, so I do understand the language barrier and other issues. If you can fly with anyone with experience, (the guys that already have offered to fly with you, for example) I guarantee it will speed up the learning curve! If you have a chance to get to a Rev Clinic... there have been a few around... do it! There's so much to gain from them.
Keep asking questions. Oh, you might want to watch the videos on You Tube...you really pick up little nuances that you might not even realize at that moment, but they do seem to carry over for you to apply to your flying sessions. I know it did for me.

Personally, I don't think it would be beneficial to ask a newbee too many questions as they might not be doing it in the best manner, though it might work for them. I think it's important to learn it the right way first, otherwise, if you find out later that something was way off base, it will take you a lot longer to retrain/relearn it the right
way; imho.

What a healthy addiction rev flying is :P !!

Have fun and keep on it... It will get there. Soon enough you'll be seeing noticable improvements almost every time out!
Laura

Posted Image

#91 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

Thanks again... Great advise! You're so right, it's a whole lot easier/smarter to learn the right-way from the get-go, than to have to un-learn and re-learn all over!

Bad habits are hard to break! I wish I could say that for spars!

Jynx

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#92 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:29 PM

The 100-kite mega-fly wont be happening:
http://www.revkites....h...ic=1831&hl=

I'm sure there will still be a mega fly with whomever shows up though. There's been one every year for the last few years. Just not 100 fliers!

Kite Party has always been one of my favorite festivals, it's great hanging out with all the fliers. I'm still gonna be there early and leave late ;)
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#93 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

I have to admit that the news is a disappointment. I was looking forward to flying/meeting/working with everyone to achieve that goal. Bummer....
Laura

Posted Image

#94 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:51 PM

I may not make it this time around, time and money are tight this coming year. :(

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#95 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:06 AM

Sorry it doesn't look like you can make it John.

Of course it is disappointing that the 100 kites thing is probably not a goer. However, there will still be fun, sun and doughnuts, so all is not lost! In fact, with out the pressure of a mega fly and all the varying expectations that it brings (remember some poor sole has to organise it, balancing the diverse and contradictory wants of all those people) there will be more room and time to enjoy good company and great flying.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#96 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:11 AM

<snip>

(remember some poor sole has to organise it, balancing the diverse and contradictory wants of all those people)

<snip>

Ah yes, I remember something about that. Not something to be taken lightly!

Felix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users