95 replies to this topic

#21 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:16 PM

I do not see any reason why there could not be a variety of events around the world but.....

Very true Felix. Divided resources and all that. Having said that, Dave has stood up to be counted and is working with his city for support. So that is in the favour of KP. And it is Close-ish to the greatest number of Rev fliers. And most importantly there is a doughnut shop close to the beach:)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#22 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

Very true Felix. Divided resources and all that. Having said that, Dave has stood up to be counted and is working with his city for support. So that is in the favour of KP. And it is Close-ish to the greatest number of Rev fliers. And most importantly there is a doughnut shop close to the beach:)

All very true but numbers and capability in the 'grid' context count for something as well.

Doughnuts may be an angle... or another geometric consideration.

Felix

#23 kitepilot

kitepilot
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:41 PM

Practicing for a 100 Rev mega fly sounds like a good activity for the San Diego Kite Club’s general meetings. The Nov meeting is already about a miniature kite making class. Dec, Jan, Feb for group mega fly practice. I’ll present this idea to the club. Jim, Lynn, your red/white/blue would look great stuck in the middle of those practice grids!
Will someone link me to mega fly group calls and details of the grid system?

Thanks, kitepilot B)

#24 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:41 PM

Ah yes, I had identified a tubular configuration some time back. I wonder if we could really get into defining 3D objects and transitions...

Felix

#25 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

All very true but numbers and capability in the 'grid' context count for something as well.

Felix

As well as wind conditions of course. So we have numbers in the US. And we have the beach wind. And we have doughnuts. And we arguably have a greater depth and width of experience. Grid knowledge as well world be a boon, although some of the US fliers have of course done the grid a few times.

A doughnut with angles world be surrealist I assume?
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#26 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

Practicing for a 100 Rev mega fly sounds like a good activity for the San Diego Kite Club's general meetings. The Nov meeting is already about a miniature kite making class. Dec, Jan, Feb for group mega fly practice. I'll present this idea to the club. Jim, Lynn, your red/white/blue would look great stuck in the middle of those practice grids!

Thanks, kitepilot B)

Hi Kitepilot,

I sketched a routine which Stephen Hoath adapted for Portsmouth/Bristol. It is in the thread over there ---->

I have uploaded it again here.

Felix

Attached Files

#27 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:01 PM

As well as wind conditions of course. So we have numbers in the US. And we have the beach wind. And we have doughnuts. And we arguably have a greater depth and width of experience. Grid knowledge as well world be a boon, although some of the US fliers have of course done the grid a few times.

A doughnut with angles world be surrealist I assume?

But 'someone' suggested that there may not be the numbers...

Who will start the count?

The 'Tube' took the concentric circles into 3 dimensions. The Doughnut would just add to the precise angles required to realise the 'object'.

Eight fliers can generate a 'cube'. Take it from there....

Felix

#28 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:11 PM

Who will start the count?

I have to refer you to the original post. Mike was saying lets take a headcount. I was merely saying perhaps us Europeans could land our support. Its a pretty easy thing-either people want to go or they don't. And they can either afford to or they can't.

A cylinder that is doughnut shaped is presumably a tube of Polos.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#29 REVGOD

REVGOD
  • Forum Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:29 PM

Hi,
Just an off my head response to a couple things. While OF COURSE I'd love to have a bunch of European/International guests, I think we could easily assemble enough domestic flyers to reach 100 kites flown. But that is a moot point anyway, since I know of at least 3 or so from the UK that ARE planning on attending. I'm still waiting to hear from the Centennial Chairman (he's also the GM of DUKES restaraunt, so he's busy!). Stay tuned, I'm on it. Thanks.

#30 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:39 PM

We also need to define what we want to do. Do we want to push the grid concept and do new and trickier things with it?
Or do we want to put 100 kites in the air, do some cool stuff, pat ourselves on the back, and buy a t-shirt?

Personally, I prefer the second option. I'd rather not spend hours practicing the grid. I'd like time to socialize with 100 fliers from all over the US and the world. I'd like to fly in small ad-hoc teams, trade hints and just goof around. I like just looking around and seeing tons of Rev flying on the beach. I propose setting aside an hour each day for setting the record.

As far as skill level, pretty much anyone can fly in an unstructured mega-fly. For a huge mega-fly, flying in a grid, I propose a 2-strikes rule: If you crash and bring down a bunch of Revs--everyone laughs and it's strike 1. If you do it a second time, we all laugh, but we also respectfully ask that you step out of the group. Then go off and practice your hover and try again the next day if you'd like.

No matter what happens or how many fliers show up, we will do a mega-fly at Kite Party. The style may depend on how many fliers are there, but we'll do one.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#31 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:13 PM

Practicing for a 100 Rev mega fly sounds like a good activity for the San Diego Kite Club’s general meetings. The Nov meeting is already about a miniature kite making class. Dec, Jan, Feb for group mega fly practice. I’ll present this idea to the club. Jim, Lynn, your red/white/blue would look great stuck in the middle of those practice grids!

Thanks, kitepilot B)

We'll certainly see you all at the New Years Day fly, if not before.

You coming this year Mike?
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#32 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:30 PM

Thanks, kitepilot B)

Dave, How many could we round up in San Diego? 10, 15 or more? Iris needs to work on the training so she can fly!
We also need to break out the book on quad team flying which is on this web site.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#33 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:54 PM

You coming this year Mike?

I'm not coming for New Years this year. I'm saving my frequent flier miles to bring Rose with me to Kite Party.
(Rose is my 20 year old daughter and a rev flier)
Mike Kory:

#34 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:01 PM

We also need to define what we want to do. Do we want to push the grid concept and do new and trickier things with it?
Or do we want to put 100 kites in the air, do some cool stuff, pat ourselves on the back, and buy a t-shirt?

Personally, I prefer the second option. I'd rather not spend hours practicing the grid. I'd like time to socialize with 100 fliers from all over the US and the world. I'd like to fly in small ad-hoc teams, trade hints and just goof around. I like just looking around and seeing tons of Rev flying on the beach. I propose setting aside an hour each day for setting the record.

As far as skill level, pretty much anyone can fly in an unstructured mega-fly. For a huge mega-fly, flying in a grid, I propose a 2-strikes rule: If you crash and bring down a bunch of Revs--everyone laughs and it's strike 1. If you do it a second time, we all laugh, but we also respectfully ask that you step out of the group. Then go off and practice your hover and try again the next day if you'd like.

No matter what happens or how many fliers show up, we will do a mega-fly at Kite Party. The style may depend on how many fliers are there, but we'll do one.

All sounds good to me. I'm not keen on practicing either!

Felix

#35 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:05 PM

I'm not coming for New Years this year. I'm saving my frequent flier miles to bring Rose with me to Kite Party.
(Rose is my 20 year old daughter and a rev flier)

Sorry you won't be here for New Years, but glad Rose will be with you for KP.

This "100 Rev" thing sounds like it may be taking on a life of it's own. Might just happen. That would be wild.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#36 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:26 PM

Your right, wild it would be! I really hope you guys and gals do it. It certainly sounds like you are well on your way.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#37 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:18 AM

Jeremy and the rest of you Brits, come join the fun!
Mike Kory:

#38 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:19 AM

We are trying to ...... all donations welcome ;)

#39 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:19 AM

Could we have the dollar back to 2 to the pound, pretty please?
I guess I'll have to defer to those with more frequent flyer miles to spend, but please include a video camera operator in the core team so we can all watch the carnage fun. :kid_smartass:
Andy

#40 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:40 AM

Here's what flying (only) 47 kites in a mega-fly looks like.
Pretty awesome, eh?

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=IlxE85l7_xo
Mike Kory:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users