47 replies to this topic

#1 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:11 PM

This is a fairly self indulgent post, for which i apologise, but i kind of felt the desire to share how much my Rev has helped me through a tricky summer . . .

I started flying kites about 8 years ago over a few classic weekends in North Devon with a bunch of mates. I'd bought a cheap two line parafoil and a mate had a couple of flexifoil stackers and we ended up enjoying our first experiences of being dragged up the beach that weekend. We also started salivating over the big four lines power kites like the Flexi Blade and the Viper.

It was that same weekend i saw someone flying a Rev for the first time on Saunton Sands. As a juggler, there was something about stunt kites that appealed, learning tricks and super neat moves, over the pure power of traction kites.

About 6 months later i bought a 1.5 exp - a kite i flew to destruction last summer having finally moved from land locked Nottingham to the Breezy North Wales Coast. I got pretty happy with forward and reverse flight, hovers, slides, tip landings but had never really nailed inverted moves or slow rotations.

In May of this year I was diagnosed as having Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma - a cancer of the lymphatic system. I'm 33 and generally healthy so it came as a major shock. I like to keep active and be outdoors whenever possible and i live about 3 minutes from the beach so was convinced cancer wasn't going keep me restricted to the couch!

I decided to upgrade my rev and bought a supersonic speed series which is great fun to fly and about 4 weeks later got a vented rev 1.5 sle off ebay.

These two kites have been instrumental in me feeling 'normal' while adjusting to a new regime of blood tests, chemotherapy, random tiredness and general uncertainty. On the days when i feel rough and want to be outside, flying my revs allows me a couple of hours on the beach without being so physically active that i knacker myself out. Fresh air and above all, clearing my head, is SO valuable to my general well-being that i actually can't think of a better way of being outside that could have worked for me and still left me feeling relatively energised. Even juggling, which is a usual relaxation for me, is often too much physically and kite buggying has been out of the question.

My employers have been great and i've continued to work when possible. However on the days i'm at home, and as shite as cancer is, and as difficult for my family as it has been, flying my Revs has been incredibly cathartic, and this summer i feel my flying has progressed hugely. Inverted flight and slides are now easy, as are clock turns, slow 360's and i'm now even working one axel's - all these things have become accessible from what has essentially been the worst year of my life!.....

I guess what i'm getting at is that sometimes flying kites, or juggling, or music or any hobby for that matter can sometimes really be a life saver and that, even when things look totally grey and it's difficult to see the positives in a situation, having something to focus on that takes you away from that negativitiy is worth its weight in gold......this year flying my rev has been that thing.

I love my Rev!!! (indoor kite next for use at juggling conventions. . .)

Marty
fly kites 'cos you love it....otherwise - what's the point?
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

That is real cool Marty.

I am so glad that kites can be a comfort to you.

My Father has recently been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin, he is over 70 though and although he gets tired quickly is currently not undergoing treatment as he is non symptomatic.

I am afraid that as an ex paramedic I often find myself seeing death and illness in a vastly different way to folks that have not been involved in the emergency services.

I am afraid it is a hard and simple fact of life.

The main thing is that you should enjoy what you enjoy for as long as you can possibly keep doing it. I know I intend to. Life has given me personaly a similar knock to you. I know I intend to fly when I can. And when aint flying have as much fun in any other way I can.

At the end of the day my friend, life is what you make it. For me flying is my way of forgetting everything else. It gives me wings. Dont matter how good or bad I am at it. As long as it is good enough for me.

All the best.

#3 lummas

lummas

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

Marty,

That is fantastic to hear and I so much agree. In December 2006, my (then 5 year old) son was diagnosed with Ewings Sarcoma (bone cancer) in his right radius. Needless to say it has been a harrowing time for him and for us as a family, but our kite flying and our extended kite family has been a great support for us and a way for us to relax and try to forget some of the worries of life for just a little while.

Right now he is in remission and has been for some time, so we have our fingers crossed for the future.

I do wish you the best and lets all continue enjoying this hobby of ours!

Best wishes,

Mark Lummas
Team Too Much Fun
Pair Bi Dance

#4 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

Hugs to all of you..

I will send good thoughts for you all.. and I have seen evidence of the same sort of benefits. My son has epilepsy and has since he was 4. While he has gone through periods of time with no seizures (4 years, and 5 years) he recently began having them again.
Just about that time, he decided he wanted to learn to fly.

He has told me, and I quote * It's the one thing I can do that takes away all my worries and anxiety about having another seizure". He can just relax...and forget it for a while.

I have to give Benny a special hug... because when he saw that Connor was the least bit interested, he encouraged and supported his flying in many ways.. thanks Benny.

Mark and Jeanette,
We cannot wait to see you again. Santa Cruz was great and it's always a pleasure to see how supportive you are with Ben and also with newer members of the kite family.. hugs
Marty,
I hope that your treatment goes well and you get plenty of air time ... big hugs,
Mousie

#5 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

Nice story and really it puts things into perspective. I hope everything goes well for you!

Bart

#6 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

We are lucky not to have to grapple with some of these problems in our little family at the moment, but perhaps we will have to one day. I certainly agree that having a passion and occupation must be better than moping around at home.

Best wishes to all for a rapid recovery to full health.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#7 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

Marty

Best of everything with your treatment. We have two friends with the same thing. They are both doing well with the treatment they are getting. What the future holds, no one knows, but then none of us know that do we.

Do you fly to music? If not, you might want to get yourself an mp3 player and fly to your favorite music. You will really "get yourself lost" in your flying.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#8 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in '93 and did 6 months of chemotherapy. The Dr. gave me 6-8 years to live, but I'm still here.
I credit kite flying for keeping me symptom free ever since. I made an all-white kite and visualized it as a T-cell killing the Cancer cells as it flew around the sky. It may be wishful thinking, but I'm not going to take chances and stop flying. It's too much fun!
Best wishes to you! Pob lwc!

#9 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

Thank everyone. . . . Jim, I always fly to music 'cos as you say i can get really lost that way! The forecast is pretty good today and we seem to have a fairly consistent 8-10mph wind this morning so i'll be getting out there - once it's light!!

I have chemo number 7 (of 8) on Friday and should finish on November 7th. According to my last scan, what was a 10cm+ tumour is now practically gone so i'm very hopeful i will hear the words 'remission' before the year is out!

Thanks for you positive thoughts - i'm a great believer in love and good vibes . . .

Marty :blue_wink:

#10 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

This is a fairly self indulgent post, for which i apologise, but i kind of felt the desire to share how much my Rev has helped me through a tricky summer . . .

I started flying kites about 8 years ago over a few classic weekends in North Devon with a bunch of mates. I'd bought a cheap two line parafoil and a mate had a couple of flexifoil stackers and we ended up enjoying our first experiences of being dragged up the beach that weekend. We also started salivating over the big four lines power kites like the Flexi Blade and the Viper.

It was that same weekend i saw someone flying a Rev for the first time on Saunton Sands. As a juggler, there was something about stunt kites that appealed, learning tricks and super neat moves, over the pure power of traction kites.

About 6 months later i bought a 1.5 exp - a kite i flew to destruction last summer having finally moved from land locked Nottingham to the Breezy North Wales Coast. I got pretty happy with forward and reverse flight, hovers, slides, tip landings but had never really nailed inverted moves or slow rotations.

In May of this year I was diagnosed as having Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma - a cancer of the lymphatic system. I'm 33 and generally healthy so it came as a major shock. I like to keep active and be outdoors whenever possible and i live about 3 minutes from the beach so was convinced cancer wasn't going keep me restricted to the couch!

I decided to upgrade my rev and bought a supersonic speed series which is great fun to fly and about 4 weeks later got a vented rev 1.5 sle off ebay.

These two kites have been instrumental in me feeling 'normal' while adjusting to a new regime of blood tests, chemotherapy, random tiredness and general uncertainty. On the days when i feel rough and want to be outside, flying my revs allows me a couple of hours on the beach without being so physically active that i knacker myself out. Fresh air and above all, clearing my head, is SO valuable to my general well-being that i actually can't think of a better way of being outside that could have worked for me and still left me feeling relatively energised. Even juggling, which is a usual relaxation for me, is often too much physically and kite buggying has been out of the question.

My employers have been great and i've continued to work when possible. However on the days i'm at home, and as shite as cancer is, and as difficult for my family as it has been, flying my Revs has been incredibly cathartic, and this summer i feel my flying has progressed hugely. Inverted flight and slides are now easy, as are clock turns, slow 360's and i'm now even working one axel's - all these things have become accessible from what has essentially been the worst year of my life!.....

I guess what i'm getting at is that sometimes flying kites, or juggling, or music or any hobby for that matter can sometimes really be a life saver and that, even when things look totally grey and it's difficult to see the positives in a situation, having something to focus on that takes you away from that negativitiy is worth its weight in gold......this year flying my rev has been that thing.

I love my Rev!!! (indoor kite next for use at juggling conventions. . .)

Marty

Hey Marty,sounds like your doing that rev Justice mate.Would be good to get a few guys to come and have a day out and fly with ya.
WILL WE NEED A PASSPORT TO WALES :kid_devlish:

Keep flying and smileing fella.P.M.A

God Bless

BRIAN...

#11 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:33 PM

Hey Marty,sounds like your doing that rev Justice mate.Would be good to get a few guys to come and have a day out and fly with ya.
WILL WE NEED A PASSPORT TO WALES :kid_devlish:

Keep flying and smileing fella.P.M.A

God Bless

BRIAN...

Well, you'd be welcome here anytime and being as i've never flown with other rev flyers I would love to. We have pretty consistent westerly winds, in fact often he problem is too much wind rather than too little - hence the choice of a vented 1.5!!!

Don't think you need a passport - in fact in this corner of Wales you'd be better of putting on a scouse accent if you want to fit in ;o)

Cheers

Marty

#12 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:06 AM

Great to read this thread Marty, and not self indulgent in the least. Kites are a great way to connect with the good stuff.

Best of luck to you

#13 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:37 AM

Marty it sounds to me like you have absolutely the right attitude to be dealing with this! I have no doubt that you'll beat this disease! I am constantly amazed by the power we have to heal ourselves whether it be with music, juggling, kite flying or any other activity that we enjoy. I was just discussing with someone last night what a destresser flying is and if more people had some kind of outlet like this maybe there'd be less uptight folk and stress related illnesses in the world. I wish you ALL the Best in your fight!

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#14 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:11 AM

Dear Marty This is Ben and as I was sitting at my deck reading your post I was brought back to so many
reasons why I fly this kite once again....... I have had many battles during my kite flying experience and this
this silly little kite has given me the ability to get out of myself when things get to much and thats what I read
into your post and because of this I felt what you are feeling...... What I want you to know is that your not alone
and even though miles are between us in me you have a friend and if you will a Family member and I'd like you
to know this, with that being said Marty I would like for you to contact me at beachbeach13@yahoo.com because
I want to do something for you and I'd like to keep it off a public forum......

Family that is what this forum and all is about people sharing what's going on with them and then others reaching
out to one another for both support and ideas, what we have here is in the truest sense of Family...... I am so very
proud of each and every one of you and all that you do and I am truly grateful to be a part of the Revolution Family,
I believe in my own small way that I have given Joe Hadzicki what he was looking for so many years ago when he
invented this kite and thats a place for people to come and do what they love fly kites and just be with there friends....
Okay, okay, before I go off the deep end and the whole world knows I'm just a cream puff I'm going back to work,
Marty please get hold of me...........Ben

#15 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:57 PM

Well, you'd be welcome here anytime and being as i've never flown with other rev flyers I would love to. We have pretty consistent westerly winds, in fact often he problem is too much wind rather than too little - hence the choice of a vented 1.5!!!

Don't think you need a passport - in fact in this corner of Wales you'd be better of putting on a scouse accent if you want to fit in ;o)

Cheers

Marty

Cheers Marty,im sure we shall get together pritty soon.I know the place you fly at btw.Been on Hols ther as a nipper.My Grandad and i used to spend all summer almost down in Abergele,just up the coast.He had a static Caravan ther...Happy Days

Anyway,lets see if we cant get ya Wrapped with a few more guys in the sky.Then you will be realy hooked :sign_kitelife:

Have a great weekend Marty

BRIAN...

Dont know about the scouce accent though.Im a pritty broad Lancastrian.

#16 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:18 AM

Im pritty broad

Well now I guess you are Broad !! dunno about the Pritty bit tho :lol: :lol: :devil:
GARY

Posted Image

#17 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:30 AM

Im a pritty broad...

Ohhhh there's another joke here, but I just can't because I like you Bri. :kid_smartass:

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#18 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:38 AM

I once won a sexy legs comp at Butlins.The Donkey wouldnt stay still and the other contender was 93.

I asked the 93 yr old[who was 3rd in the contest].
Do they call you tresure.
Why,she replied, because of my sexy chest,
No i replied,you look like youve just been dug up

Bum,Bum

BRIAN...

#19 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:06 AM

I once won a sexy legs comp at Butlins.The Donkey wouldnt stay still and the other contender was 93.

I asked the 93 yr old[who was 3rd in the contest].
Do they call you tresure.
Why,she replied, because of my sexy chest,
No i replied,you look like youve just been dug up

Bum,Bum

BRIAN...

:kid_smartass: . . . well it made ME laugh!

#20 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:11 PM

Bum,Bum

Giggles!!! :lol: