#1 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

Hi,

Quick question on converting my B-Series STD with race rods into short line/indoor flying. I'm thinking 12feet line for beginner learning. Would that be a good length to learn this style on? Would like to go longer like 15 feet or so but I want to be able to get the hang of it before attempting something more difficult.

Also I've read that for this style people typically tie the lines to the kite directly instead to the bridle. Would there be any drawback to tieing it to the bridle instead in terms of control?

Also if I tie the lines directly to the kite, where do I tie to the upper leading edge? Do I tie it to the ends of the leading edge or to the endcaps just on top of the vertical spars?

Thanks for the help!
Darryl

#2 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:38 AM

ISTBC but, based on my experimentation on bridleless outdoors, you tie the top lines to the end caps of the upright. You will probably need a long leader on the handles to get the brake tuning right. This will help in two ways - it will increase the sensitivity of the inputs you are giving and it will dispense with the weight of the bridle.

I will leave the line length bit for someone who knows a lot more about indoors than I do.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:31 AM

Hi,

Quick question on converting my B-Series STD with race rods into short line/indoor flying. I'm thinking 12feet line for beginner learning. Would that be a good length to learn this style on? Would like to go longer like 15 feet or so but I want to be able to get the hang of it before attempting something more difficult.

Also I've read that for this style people typically tie the lines to the kite directly instead to the bridle. Would there be any drawback to tying it to the bridle instead in terms of control?

Also if I tie the lines directly to the kite, where do I tie to the upper leading edge? Do I tie it to the ends of the leading edge or to the endcaps just on top of the vertical spars?

Thanks for the help!
Darryl

To mod your kite for indoors, it would be best to remove the bridal. I believe the main reason for the bridal is to spread the load of the lines across the kite. Since that isn't really an issue indoors, it is just dead weight. To connect the lines directly to the kite, make some pigtails (out of maybe 90 # or 150# Spectra line) about four inches long and tie them to the vertical spar end caps, then connect your lines to them.

As for lines, Penny and I tend to use short lines. I usually fly with five or eight feet. I don't think I've ever seen Penny fly with anything longer than ten feet (I don't think I've even seen her fly on ten feet). The longer the lines, the more weight you have to pull around, and the more you have to back up.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the advice,

As I have only 1 STD Rev (The B-Series), I feel hesitant to take out the bridle as it'll be quite a bit of work to re-tie it when I decide to go back to long line flying. I guess my question is more towards outdoor street minimal/no wind flying. Don't mind running about a bit in that case. I've made myself some short 12 feet lines and will be going to try it out.

-Darryl

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:40 PM

The Bridle just larks-heads onto the kite. Very simple to remove and then reinstall. To do it properly, just undo each end, then the upper and lower spar connections, then you will need to pull the entire bridle through the center larks head and it's off. Just leave the center loop there for when you want to reconnect the bridle. Don't untie your bridle at all anywhere, not necessary.

Hope this helps.

#6 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

As Kent said, it is not difficult to reapply the bridal. It just unties right off of each end cap, then off of the center loop. Store the bridal in a way that you can remember where each piece attaches to the kite, and you're good.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

Unless your going indoors and want to relearn to fly your Rev leave the bridle on and attach to it. I went indoors with my B std. with the 2 wrap set and 50# 15' lines. I went bridless and it's really different. If you normally fly with alot of brake you'll need about 3 inches more on the top leaders to make up for what the bridle and normal handles give you. Unless your going indoors or have a really good light wind technique don't mess with what works for you now. Shorter lines and a couple of hours experience before you go street flying.

Dean

2 Wrap frame, 12 foot lines and fly with slightly more brake than what you'd normally fly if you aren't already flying with the stock max brake on the B handles will be good. Like I said, I've gone indoors with my B std. and it will fly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users