51 replies to this topic

#41 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:49 AM

And of course, I envy those of you who have already figured this all out!

You think any of us have figured it out?

No, we are all looking for answers too, but hay if it was easy everyone would be doing it, and where’s the fun in that?
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#42 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:46 AM

You are looking in the wrong place to see JB's wobble.

Look at the kite, it looks still as a rock.

Look at his hands they are all over the place.

<snip>

Very well put.

<edit> I should also mention that some of the 'feedback' comes through the feel of the relative tension of the lines.

In lighter breezes I find myself holding the handles with finger tips, the better to sense what is happening to the kite.

Felix

#43 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

Bart...

I was thinking about you this afternoon when I was flying my 2~4 .... inverted take off's and hovers with that thing really exaggerate the wobbles... and I haven't flown it for a few weeks so there were definitely a few to be seen... anyway my phone rang (had my headphones on listening to music so no need to stop flying) and while I was talking away sorting out some typical Friday afternoon tech support question I noticed the kite was just sat there hovering inverted rock solid :) .... Doesn't always pay to over think it ;)

#44 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

I know my moment of clarity came the first time while I was talking to the new guy beside me and listening to his questions and answering. Things were flying much better so I understand about over thinking it. That said, I do like to understand what it is I am trying to achieve and understand the required controls to do it. I understand better where the wobble is coming in now so that will help me to se through that... I hope. I've been listening to music now which I do find helps the flow.

Maybe after this weekend I can post one of those "Eureka!" moments!

Bart

#45 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:42 AM

Maybe after this weekend I can post one of those "Eureka!" moments!

First the bad news, for me there was no "Eureka!" moment.

Now the good news, from what you say it sounds like you have already had the big break through you think you still need. That realisation that you can hold your kite stable whilst concentrating on something else suggests that things have started to move into that “walking and chewing gum” part of the brain. Congratulations, I recon you are way further down the road than you are giving your self credit for.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#46 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:17 AM

Oh, there better be a Eureka moment! It will be too anti-climactic otherwise.

I appreciate your encouragement. Perhaps I am further along than I feel, just not a lot of first hand data to compare with.

Bart

#47 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

Oh, there better be a Eureka moment! It will be too anti-climactic otherwise.

Well actually yes but not like the one you are looking for. You won’t go to bed a complete novice and wake up the next morning a Rev Guru. There are loads of little breakthroughs like the one you have just had when you were chatting then realised it seemed like the kite had apparently been flying it’s self, all these little breakthroughs add up almost without you noticing then one day, probably when you are least expecting it, they will all gang up and hit you square in the face and you just won’t know what hit you. It happened to me a while back and trust me it took three days for my mates to wipe the smile of my face. :D

Stick with it.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#48 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

Posted Image
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#49 Robert

Robert
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:39 AM

Hi all - I had a morning yesterday with a eureka session. I could not understand the talk about changing the length of the pig tails (as far as I could see all that will do is change the angle of the handle). But then I moved my hands down the handle until it becomes almost impossible to fly forwards. Then I took the kite to about five degrees from inverted - and eureka, I can now fly inverted. The wobbles are gone, only the mind fails to tell the difference between clockwise and anti every now and again.

By taking the hands down as far as possible I have reduced the movement of the bottom of the sail with each hand movement. Now I have to force the kite to go forward, and it wants to go backward.

After getting this into my head (with large hammer :kid_cussing: ) I spent the rest of the morning throwing the kite around like a maniac. Loud music and good wind and BIG smile.

Today we have rain and no wind, and I'm scared that yesterdays lesson did not stick.Hopeing for better winds tomorrow - never mind the rain.
If you are not having fun - you are doing it worng.

I'm not going to get old - it takes too long.

#50 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:57 AM

Hi all - I had a morning yesterday with a eureka session. I could not understand the talk about changing the length of the pig tails (as far as I could see all that will do is change the angle of the handle). But then I moved my hands down the handle until it becomes almost impossible to fly forwards. Then I took the kite to about five degrees from inverted - and eureka, I can now fly inverted. The wobbles are gone, only the mind fails to tell the difference between clockwise and anti every now and again.

By taking the hands down as far as possible I have reduced the movement of the bottom of the sail with each hand movement. Now I have to force the kite to go forward, and it wants to go backward.

After getting this into my head (with large hammer :kid_cussing: ) I spent the rest of the morning throwing the kite around like a maniac. Loud music and good wind and BIG smile.

Today we have rain and no wind, and I'm scared that yesterdays lesson did not stick.Hopeing for better winds tomorrow - never mind the rain.

Cool. Congrats.

I'm going out over lunch. Looks like it will be a nice wind by then and nice temperature. It's been pretty much two weeks since the weather has been decent so hopefully it has all sunk in and works out good for me.

Bart

#51 Robert

Robert
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:33 AM

Cool. Congrats.

I'm going out over lunch. Looks like it will be a nice wind by then and nice temperature. It's been pretty much two weeks since the weather has been decent so hopefully it has all sunk in and works out good for me.

Bart

Over here we are in between seasons - our August winds are still blowing, most of the time we are getting fresh to strong :( which makes learning to fly a Rev very frustrating. Summer should have got here a month ago.

Could you try my moving the hands down on the handle and let me know if i am kidding myself :)

Thanks.

Rob
If you are not having fun - you are doing it worng.

I'm not going to get old - it takes too long.

#52 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:45 PM

Over here we are in between seasons - our August winds are still blowing, most of the time we are getting fresh to strong :( which makes learning to fly a Rev very frustrating. Summer should have got here a month ago.

Could you try my moving the hands down on the handle and let me know if i am kidding myself :)

Thanks.

Rob

If I can remember I will try. I've been using thumbs on the tops mostly now which is feeling more natural the more I do it. Initially I had my hands further down the handles.

Bart

Okay, tried this and have to say I did not like it. I can see where you are going with it, but since I have been keeping my hands to the top of the handles all this time it felt too alien to me to get any kind of control or feel for things as I moved my hands down. I guess it really is a matter of finding what works for you and going with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users