#1 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:57 AM

Hi everyone

Read quite a bit on here about pancakes but can't seem to find a description. Is it the trick in which the kite goes flat on it's belly and then spins through 360 degrees as with an axel with a delta wing? Or is that an axel with a rev too and the pancake is something else entirely??
Watty does it here at 2:39

Finally could someone explain if the trick shown often on indoor vids where the kite does a dive-stop but seems to continue beyond the stop to go flat on it's belly is also variation of the above trick or is it something else?
Watty does it here at 0:35

Thanks for any semantic or technical help. . . .

Marty ;O)
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

The trick in the first video is an axel. The one in the second video is a pancake. An axel is a flat spin, and a pancake is just the kite going flat (You can do a ground pancake by flattening the kite later to make it fall flat on the ground). The pancake is actually seen better in that second video at 3:28.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

The trick in the first video is an axel. The one in the second video is a pancake. An axel is a flat spin, and a pancake is just the kite going flat (You can do a ground pancake by flattening the kite later to make it fall flat on the ground). The pancake is actually seen better in that second video at 3:28.

Thanks Watty - is the technique similar for both? I'm assuming the axel works like a regular two line axel . . . ie stall the kite by moving forward to slacken the lines and then a flick to the left or right line. . . and then the pancake is just the same without the 360?? Is this correct?

Any help appreciated

Marty

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

Thanks Watty - is the technique similar for both? I'm assuming the axel works like a regular two line axel . . . ie stall the kite by moving forward to slacken the lines and then a flick to the left or right line. . . and then the pancake is just the same without the 360?? Is this correct?

Any help appreciated

Marty

The technique is similar for the axel. For the axel, it works best while inverted and sliding across the window, step forward (loosening the lines) then pull down on one hand.

The pancake is a bit different. Slowly fly the kite straight down, then when the kite gets hear the ground, flick the bottom lines down, and step forward. Indoors, you can also add on to this by pulling on one hand and making the kite spin towards you, then catch it. It takes some practice to do that though.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#5 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

The technique is similar for the axel. For the axel, it works best while inverted and sliding across the window, step forward (loosening the lines) then pull down on one hand.

The pancake is a bit different. Slowly fly the kite straight down, then when the kite gets hear the ground, flick the bottom lines down, and step forward. Indoors, you can also add on to this by pulling on one hand and making the kite spin towards you, then catch it. It takes some practice to do that though.

Thanks - going to have fun with those! B)

#6 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:27 AM

If you're a kitelife subscriber, check out John B.'s axel tutorial in the videos section of kitelife.com

Spence "Watty" Watson

#7 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:36 PM

Hi everyone

Read quite a bit on here about pancakes but can't seem to find a description. Is it the trick in which the kite goes flat on it's belly and then spins through 360 degrees as with an axel with a delta wing? Or is that an axel with a rev too and the pancake is something else entirely??
Watty does it here at 2:39

Finally could someone explain if the trick shown often on indoor vids where the kite does a dive-stop but seems to continue beyond the stop to go flat on it's belly is also variation of the above trick or is it something else?
Watty does it here at 0:35

Thanks for any semantic or technical help. . . .

Marty ;O)

Watty- You are (more than) somethin' else!
I had to refresh this topic so us newbees, that haven't stumbled onto this, would have a chance to see you at work! (I mean play!)

Very enlightening!
Awesome! :clap2:
Jynx

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#8 deebs1596

deebs1596

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

admiration of watty's flying...one of many a hobby that occupies my time. the other is wishing i was that good at flying ;)
----Dan-----

lost in thought or lost in a field... either way send a search party

i fly what i can and stare at what i cant.

#9 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:41 PM

Awww... :kid_content: That just brightened my day a bit. Thank you.

Spence "Watty" Watson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users