19 replies to this topic

#1 stevepigeon

stevepigeon

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

In this time of economic distress it is important that we support our local kite shops. Although many of us do not have the extra cash to spend at this time, where we choose to shop for kites makes a difference. If your looking for a kite or an accessory, do you look online or do you call your local kite shop and ask if they can get what it is that you want?

So many small kite shops have closed this year due to the condition of our country as well as the lack of local support. Here’s what happens when we lose that little shop near the beach where we bought our first kite. There is nowhere to go to get the parts we need to build or repair our kites. New fliers start to decrease and festivals seem far and few between in the area. The gathering place for fliers to come and just hang around and share their kiting stories is lost.

As we closed the doors to Kitesville today, I stood and cried in the empty building. I lost something that I loved so much and poured my heart and soul into. I remembered the faces that passed through the doors, Ben.. who took the time to come in the shop and visit last January, Dodd… who was amazed at the display of his kites, the Shooks.. who came and shared lunch with us in the office. Steve and Mara.. who worked a weekend at the shop so we could have some time off. All the people that walked through the door and their first words were “wow this is a cool store”

To Revolution Enterprises... The best days at the shop was when we took a new Rev flier accross the street and watched with excitement when they "got it" and were flying on their own, grinning from ear to ear.

To all of you that supported Kitesville…. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
Steve & Sherri

#2 jimfielder

jimfielder

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

Steve and Sherri,
Sorry to hear of your loss. Steve it was always great talking and working with you. Best to you both for what lies ahead.

Jim

#3 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:48 PM

i read your thread with a great saddness.... i wish you good fortune in your future endeavors
terry w
Posted Image

#4 browndude3649

browndude3649
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

I'm lucky to have 3 kite shops within an hour and always give them first dibs on a sale. Cash is king!

Sorry to hear about a great shop becoming history

#5 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

Steve and Sherri,
So sad to hear you have closed your doors. I could tell you enjoyed it. I only wish I had a local kite shop to go to around here. Especially if it had nice folks like you running it.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#6 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:38 PM

A Very,very, sad story. :(
Bricks and mortare kite shops are getting few and far between everywher.This dam resession is hurting good people the world over.
With the weather getting wetter,money getting tighter,the internet,open global markets,cheep imports,and the list goes on.

All the best in whatever it is you decide to do.I hope its makes ya smile again.

BRIAN...

#7 choz06

choz06
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:00 AM

Dear Steve & Sherri,
Im so sad to see you close. You were always there for me and all my kite need and questions. The kiting world has lost a truely great shop.
Adam
Posted Image
Thou shall fly a REV (11th Commandment)

#8 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:15 AM

Steve and Sherri, I am saddened to hear of your news!

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#9 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:41 AM

Sheri and Steve,

Saw this last nite, knew it was coming, and it still brought a tear to my eye. ...

Best of luck in the future, know you'll stay involved with festivals and Revs/Revolettes, and who knows what may yet come of this sad situation. But hope it will be great!

Cath

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

#10 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:44 AM

Awwww Steve & Sherri I am Soooooo Sorry to read this news! I'm sure this was an incredibly difficult decision to make. I am always saddened to see a kite shop close and businesses run by good folk go away. I sincerely wish you all the best and hope that things turn around for all of us sooooooon.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#11 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:29 AM

OMG! I'm so sorry to read this. I feel for you and the empty feeling of closing the doors. It had to have been a very very difficult decision.
Yes, these are very bad economic times. I wish you well in whatever it is that you decide to do next. Good luck to you both!
Theresa

#12 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:29 AM

So sorry to hear we lost such a cool kite shop. Never been there, but I sure would have stopped to shop if I were in the area. I am always looking for kite shops when I go on vacation, since there are none I know of within 100 miles of where I live. Seems like just as many kite fliers too, so opening a kite shop where I live would not work. At least you have some great memories of cool people coming to see you. Things will turn around and I hope you will be running another kite shop real soon.

#13 KYT ADIK

KYT ADIK

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:40 AM

Sherri & Steve...
Thank you so much for all you've done for me since I first got into kites!!
If it hadn't been for Kitesville, I may have never gotten into it in the first place!
I' am soooo terribly sorry to hear you've had to close the doors :sq-cry:
I wish you both the best! ((Big Hugs))

Starna*

Kiting Tampa Bay

Treasure Island Kite Festival & Sport Kite Competition<br style="background-color: rgb(238, 243, 248);">January 19-20 2013

#14 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:23 AM

Another valuable asset to the kiting community bites the dust. Very sad indeed. You're not the first and won't be the last to fall victim to the bricks and mortar debacle or the economic pressures of owning a real "mom & pop" shop. That said, if there is a bright side, you'll hopefully get to spend more time flying.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#15 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:31 AM

Another valuable asset to the kiting community bites the dust. Very sad indeed. You're not the first and won't be the last to fall victim to the bricks and mortar debacle or the economic pressures of owning a real "mom & pop" shop. That said, if there is a bright side, you'll hopefully get to spend more time flying.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Steve and Sherri, good luck in whatever it is you decide to do from here. I know the loss to the kiting community will be felt in your area.

Always heard good things about you guys although never the pleasure of getting to that area myself.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#16 beach

beach

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

Steve and Sherri this is far from over and things will always work out for you guys and as you know my door, my
phone, and my heart are always open for you both cause it's not just kites it's Family.....Ben

#17 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

Big hugs to you both.

I think Benny is right, it's not over, it's only changing.. And the revelettes live on!! Take some time to fly more, enjoy more.. and know we are all here for you.
Mousie

#18 f86sabjf

f86sabjf

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:09 PM

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Steve & Sherri. I hope I get to fly with you sometime soon. Keep your heads up . This to shall pass.

#19 stevepigeon

stevepigeon

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:48 AM

Thank you all for showing us some much needed love at this time...

We will be out flying this weekend at TI.

Thanks again for all the emails of support.
Steve & Sherri

#20 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:15 AM

We were so sorry to hear that Kitesville closed and of your own loss.

I just wanted to record our debt to Kitesville over the years - and of course the last year since you were running it - for much of the content of our kite bag was bought from the store and the hints and guidance we gained was a bonus. The Internet isn't necessarily the big bad bear, but it cannot replace the personal contact, the advice and conversations that come from a shop manned by knowledgeable flyers. Did I mention the fitting of cissy sticks to my wife's Rev, etc.?

At least all the friendships built will survive this loss and we'll look forward to meeting up and flying with you both again.
Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users