• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NickParidon

NickParidon
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

I need some advice

I've been having a lot of wind issues lately. It's been harder to find enough wind to keep my 1.5 SLE up in the air and I've been considering buying a new kite for the days with lighter winds. Right now I'm thinking either a B series or a rev indoor. Im curious about whether or not a b series with the SUL frame would stay up on those light wind days or do I need to go with an indoor.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks Nick

#2 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

And what about this solution ???? :w00t:

http://i36.photobuck...05BigFan_lg.jpg

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#3 NickParidon

NickParidon
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

And what about this solution ???? :w00t:

http://i36.photobuck...05BigFan_lg.jpg

hahahahahha, its a thought

#4 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:50 AM

Here's my recommendation based on being a no-wind preference flier based outside of Washington DC.

buy a B-series with the SUL leading edge and a set of Race tubes

That will be significantly lighter in weight than your SLE standard kite and still durable enough to share with newbies who will marvel at your newfound no-wind flight skills!

Get a shorter line set & possibly longer throw handles also, then you can overcome any sudden slack as the winds shift or lull completely.

#5 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

buy a B-series with the SUL leading edge and a set of Race tubes

I haven't noticed any real ware and tear on the leading edge fabric other than a little end fraying. Is there any disadvantage to getting the SUL fabric for every day flying?

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#6 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:07 PM

I need some advice

I've been having a lot of wind issues lately. It's been harder to find enough wind to keep my 1.5 SLE up in the air and I've been considering buying a new kite for the days with lighter winds. Right now I'm thinking either a B series or a rev indoor. Im curious about whether or not a b series with the SUL frame would stay up on those light wind days or do I need to go with an indoor.

Thanks Nick

Hi Nick, this is a good question and one that crops up with most fliers. As we want to fly more and more, we have to fly in more challenging conditions but don't worry, the solution is out there.

As mentioned already the B series or an SUL 1.5 are great choices, however, if the money supply isn't endless i would suggest simply investing in a set of "Proffesional Use" rods or "Race Rods" (see the main Rev site or your local stockist for details) and use them in your existing sail. This will give you a significantly improved lower end wind range at a lower cost.

Line sets of less than 80 feet will also help as there is less drag and going down to 50lb lines can also help (although not everyone likes 50lb lines) but unfortunately there is no substitute for practice, practice and more practice! (I once saw Lam Hoac fly an indoor routine with a standard Rev 1.5 with what looked like ease)

There are plenty of good tips on the forum for light wind traininig ideas and the various DVD's also have good help. Better still find some local fliers who will be able to fast track your learning curve. This is another good way of seeing the various options first and maybe trying them to see what works best for you. You may have noticed that there are as many solutions and opinions as there are Rev fliers and they all work for the person suggesting them. What works for me does not necessarily work for the next flier though so don't be afraid to experiment.

Let us know how you get on.

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#7 NickParidon

NickParidon
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

Okay maybe someone can explain to me what exactly race rods are, is it only the leading edge or does it include the veritcal spars? And if the b series already comes with a SUL frame do i need a race rods as well?

Thanks Nick

#8 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

You can get a full set of race rods. Or just the 3 to make up the leading edge. Of course to have full advantage for lightness you would need to replace your standard verticals with lighter rods. 2 wrap, 3 wrap or Race.

I am presuming that you understand that the Race rods are about the weight of 2 wraps, but with the strength / durability / springyness (not sure how to describe it) of a 3 wrap.

As far as the B series is concerned it comes with the Professional Use Only 2 Wrap frame and the 3 Wrap frame, the Race rods sort of give you the advantage of a combination of the 2, thus extending the flying range between frame swaps, as well as being more springy, or snappy in action. Also the sail on the B is well designed to maximise performance compared to a SLE sail.

I like the B personaly, however as Stephen said you could get near to it more cheaply with buying a 2 Wrap or Race set. I say near to it as the sail on a SLE is made differently from a B.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

#9 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

Here's a Post about the Race Rods that might answer some questions...
http://www.revkites....h...507&hl=race

I swear by the RRs! :ani_punk:

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.com/LeshockArts
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#10 NickParidon

NickParidon
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

Awesome guys, i appreciate all of your advice, as of now im thinking the birthday package will include the following:

-Laser Pro Gold 50# x 30 ft Quad line set
-Barresi Signature Series (Standard)
-Revolution Quad Handles 15"
-Revolution 1.5 Race Frame Set

Anyone have any suggestions or objections?

#11 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

Here's a Post about the Race Rods that might answer some questions...
http://www.revkites....h...507&hl=race

I swear by the RRs! :ani_punk:

I agree totally, ever since using race rods I unfortunately have 7 sets of 2 wraps sitting in the closet that will end up being used to make SLK's.

Get a full set for your 1.5 for now, you'll have them anyway and if you decide to get a b-series (which has replaced my sul kite) you'll already have a set ready to go for whatever you decide on for a light wind kite.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#12 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:17 PM

SUL leading edge

Paul, when you say SUL LE, are you talking about the 2 wraps as in SUL, or the LE material without dacron as in SUL? Just to clarify.....cuz we know it can go either way.... :)

http://www.thekitesh...-/prod_128.html

T

#13 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:20 PM

Awesome guys, i appreciate all of your advice, as of now im thinking the birthday package will include the following:

Since you ask, remove your bridle, and make yourself a set of 30' lines, don't use sleeving. I use the berry blue, it is thinner, but watch out for tangles.

#14 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:55 PM

No objections at all. my only suggestion would be to post it to my house express mail! :kid_smartass: :kid_smartass: :kid_smartass:

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#15 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

I made myself a set of light weight titanium handles that are 15 inches and anlther 13 inch set that ive had for 3 years now.. i also use 40 foot 50# lines for the next to nothing winds while i use 90#60foot for the light stuff.. im oppisite of rev flier as i always have winds here .. i tell him this and i get the look :rolleyes: but nevertheless i am spoiled with the wildwood winds.. paul i love you man!!!!!i still love that mini 1.6 by the way..as for the kite i use race rods for the light stuff .. when the winds drop to nothing i use an extra cut down indoor frame that i have fitted to a 1.5.. its the best frame to use and i swear by that ...
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#16 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

I need some advice

Thanks Nick

From my own experience, I would not suggest getting the rev indoor for light wind flying. You would be sorely disappointed. I first bought the rev indoor thinking it would be great for light wind days. The indoor becomes quite uncontrollable when even a small breeze hits it. It is specially designed for Indoor flying, or outdoor with 0 wind or gusts up to 2 mph.

The Std. B-series with some race rods will do you good. It will fly well and controllable in the lowest of winds and even up to about 10mph.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users