24 replies to this topic

#21 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

It is my intention to go out tomorrow after work by myself if there is any wind. I would get about an hour of light before having to pack it up. I also am going to bring along an iPod to see if the music will be enough to relax my hands and mind to go with the flow of the kite. There's only about a 25% chance there will be any wind at that time of day.

I guess what I am trying to say about flying with others is that most of my other hobbies are solo ventures. I am wanting at least one to have some social element. I do not really enjoy standing out in the middle of the park by myself. I doubt I ever will.

Heard back from my potential flying partner this evening and he'd like to try for this Sunday again so so far so good. He may be reading this forum by now. If he is he should be getting a rather blunt hint by this point!

Bart

#22 tonycarl

tonycarl

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:28 PM

Bart, learning to fly a rev is a journey that is should be fun and a personal challenge. If it was too easy, everybody would get bored and stop doing it. There is always something new to learn on the rev for everybody. I assume you bought rev's because you either saw someone else fly one or saw a rev video and thought is was cool and you took the time and money and bought a couple. Don,t sell your revs, (they never go out of style). Even if you feel a little frustrated now, you can always come back to them later. I understand your feelings about "social contact" I'm in the same position. But I think social contact activities are much more difficult to find especially in kiting which is not as popular as soccer for instance. Just take it slow, enjoy the wind and being outdoors and in time you'll be as good as John Barresi. And if somebody stops by and wants to join you, fine, if not that's ok too! Or you can learn to fly 2 revs at once. :D

#23 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:25 AM

I don't put that much into the idea of it being a journey. I'm not that philosophical about it. I saw it as some recreation that I might enjoy. I bought my first when I read about them, I think in Kite Life magazine years ago, but got the B series after seeing IQuad here and talking with John at great length. When I saw, in person, what they were capable of I had more of an interest to learn. Just don't feel the joy out there by myself all the time.

They are safe for now and won't be going anywhere. If things don't take off here (no pun intended) then I have better uses for the money and I won't have the reminder that it just ended up going no where for me. So far, with a little company out in the field these couple times I've felt much more positive about flying and have everything in the truck for going out right from work today if the wind is blowing. It will be just me today which is fine on occassion, just not all the time. Have the iPod loaded too and really want to see if I can get into that same mental spot as this past Sunday.

And, yes, flying a kite isn't one of the more popular forms of socializing. I agree. But since I don't care for other sports it will have to either work for me or not. If it doesn't I could try bowling or bars!

Bart

#24 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

Bart

I think I’m with you on this one. It’s the company and common bond that makes Rev flying so appealing to me too, though there is always the exception that proves the rule.

The weekend before last I was lucky enough to be invited to go to a festival on a beach in Holland with a few members of one of the UK’s top teams and I believe I came close to finding one possible definition of Heaven on earth. I found myself alone in a practice arena on a sunny afternoon with a gentle on shore breeze and an ultra-light Rev and no sun burn, as I said Heaven on earth.

I wish you luck in your search for someone to fly with, this thing we do is great it has picked me up from what was probably the lowest point in my life but even so I don’t think I would still be doing it if I didn’t have good friends to share it with.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#25 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

Bob,

Yes, you have it EXACTLY. Thank you.

Bart