25 replies to this topic

#1 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:26 AM

darn school boys stole my B-series handles whilst I was out flying this arvo :kid_cussing:

I'm guessing the rev standard handles are very different to the B-series handles ???
1 of the 47.

#2 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:42 AM

If you ask nicely I can let you have a set of B handles, gratis ;)

Will bring them tomorrow.

The standard handles are a totally different beast.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#3 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:47 AM

Bstrdz, :angry: i hate theeves,

Yes choc,sle handles are the same.Just need some pigtails putting on.Benson bridle line is nice to use.I bought some new handles this morning, long uns from the uks best rev suppliers [kiteworld]
Maybe an idea to try a set if one of the guys have some.Before you buy another std length set.

Chin up old ,,,,chap

Have a good weekend,regardless

BRIAN...

#4 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

If you ask nicely I can let you have a set of B handles, gratis ;)

Will bring them tomorrow.

The standard handles are a totally different beast.

Mmmm,r u sure old chap,

I have three sets of handles not counting the carbon jobbies.

short handles[rev2]
std handles[sle and or b seris without pig tails]
long mothers[well ther long 15inch i think]

Had the conversation this morning with mr Kiteworld and he did confirm.With that,i bought some more longuns.

http://www.kiteworld...Rev_Spares.html

BRIAN...

#5 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

Doesn't the SLE have short handles? Ah well, t'was short handles I was referring to. The short ones just don't have the feeling to me, but tend to make everything a bit too mushy. Fine for Sonic and II, but not for my Bs.

Anyway, there is a certain minimum amount of equipment that a gentleman should not be seen on the field with out. You know the sort of thing - short handles, extra long handles, 4 x B handles (as the work horse), 2W rods, 3W rods, 4W rods, 4 x race rod sets, 20/40/60/85/120' lines in 50/80/150lbs weights as appropriate, bottle of claret. If choccy were in any way short of this kit list as a result of the scallywags, I think the least I can do is make up the short fall from my store cupboard don't you know. After all one wouldn't go to dinner with someone who is improperly dressed, and one wouldn't fly with someone who is improperly equipped.

;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#6 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:10 AM

The older SLE handles were 11" across the gap; the B-Series are 13".

I did a modification on a few sets of 11" handles where I added carbon extension tubes, using Sky Shark P100s and Avia .2400s inside the P100s.

I epoxied cotter pins inside the .2400s and larksheaded the pigtails to the eye of the cotter pin and covered it with an end cap:
noclips1.jpg
noclips2.jpg
noclips3.jpg

It seems to work well.

#7 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:11 AM

Doesn't the SLE have short handles? The short ones just don't have the feeling to me, but tend to make everything a bit too mushy. Fine for Sonic, but not for my Bs.

Anyway, there is a certain minimum amount of equipment that a gentleman should not be seen on the field with out. You know the sort of thing - short handles, extra long handles, 4 x B handles (as the work horse), 2W rods, 3W rods, 4W rods, 4 x race rod sets, 20/40/60/85/120' lines in 50/80/150lbs weights as appropriate, bottle of claret. If choccy were in any way short of this kit list as a result of the scallywags, I think the least I can do is make up the short fall from my store cupboard don't you know. After all one wouldn't go to dinner with someone who is improperly dressed, and one wouldn't fly with someone who is improperly equipped.

;)

Absolutely,spoken by a true Gentlemen.
Have a super weekend,im sure youve made someone weekend a little better already sir

BRIAN... :)

#8 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:19 AM

The groover from Vancoover agrees,im sure i have a pair that are 17inch also.Just to
discombobulate even further.

Cheers Steveb,hope you get the rev 1 RRs a trial this weekend.

Have a goodn mate

BRIAN...

#9 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

I bought some new handles this morning, long uns from the uks best rev suppliers [kiteworld]
Maybe an idea to try a set if one of the guys have some.Before you buy another std length set.

They are rather special, although perhaps a little too much sensitivity when the wind gets up a bit IMHO. But I am sure that part of that belief is due to being used to the mid-sized handles. When it comes to lighter wind, I believe nothing can better them. For the really light stuff I am now experimenting with attaching directly to the bottom of the verticals and to a pigtail at the top (so as to keep the brake setting reasonably high). From the first trial the other day it certainly seemed there was even more 'feel' in sub-5MPH conditions. We have very light winds forecast for the informal fly-in tomorrow, so trialing this set up with the 'sod-off' length handles is going to be interesting.......

Oh, and my Rev I race rods have arrived........... (excited)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#10 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:32 AM

I did a modification on a few sets of 11" handles where I added carbon extension tubes, using Sky Shark P100s and Avia .2400s inside the P100s.

I epoxied cotter pins inside the .2400s and larksheaded the pigtails to the eye of the cotter pin and covered it with an end cap:
noclips1.jpg
noclips2.jpg
noclips3.jpg

It seems to work well.

WAW Steve b,looks like a great inovation.
P100 is quite thin though,Have you had no issues ther with brittleness.

Hope ya dont mind the [groover....thing btw]

BRIAN...

#11 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:58 AM

WAW Steve b,looks like a great inovation.
P100 is quite thin though,Have you had no issues ther with brittleness.

Hope ya dont mind the [groover....thing btw]

BRIAN...

There are Avia .2400s glued inside the P-100s, for reinforcement.

#12 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:35 AM

Awwww, that so sucks Choccy!!! :cat_censored:

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#13 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

Steve,

Joe did not do well in labeling the handles by the dimension between the d-clip holes (pin-to-pin) via the curved handle ... i.e. the prior to bending distance between pin holes. My B-series is 13 inches ... but that's from pin-to-pin via the curve of the handle. The pin-to-pin distance for those handles is 11 3/4 inches.

I would suspect that the 11 inch handles measure about 10 inches and the 15 inch handles measure about 13 1/2 inches.

Since all I've got are B-series handles, the other handle dimensions are guesses. Maybe someone could double check those dimensions ... please.

Cheers,
Tom

#14 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:35 AM

Not to trivialise Choccy's loss but I felt it neccessary to point out that to choccy they all look like long handles :lol:

Oh and I also have a few spares so if your around tomorrow you can take your pick of us gallant gentlemen's handles

(not sure that sounded quite as I meant it??)

#15 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:38 AM

Steve,

Joe did not do well in labeling the handles by the dimension between the d-clip holes (pin-to-pin) via the curved handle ... i.e. the prior to bending distance between pin holes. My B-series is 13 inches ... but that's from pin-to-pin via the curve of the handle. The pin-to-pin distance for those handles is 11 3/4 inches.

I would suspect that the 11 inch handles measure about 10 inches and the 15 inch handles measure about 13 1/2 inches.

Since all I've got are B-series handles, the other handle dimensions are guesses. Maybe someone could double check those dimensions ... please.

Cheers,
Tom

My B-Series measure 11 3/8" clip hole to clip hole and the ones from my old '01 SLE are 9 13/16"

#16 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:20 PM

My B-Series measure 11 3/8" clip hole to clip hole and the SLEs are 9 13/16"

Curious .... The handles that came with my SLE are identical to my B handles except for the pigtails...... either way there are just three standard handle sizes (non carbon wrapped) of which only the 13" and 15" are still listed on the Rev site so I assume the short ones are no longer available?

Haven't tried the long handles so might borrow a set for tomorrow.....

#17 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

My B-Series measure 11 3/8" clip hole to clip hole and the SLEs are 9 13/16"

Steve,

Thanks ... now I understand why there are so many slightly different numbers floating around. And, I understand why Joe labeled the handles by the nominal dimensions prior to bending. Start with some manufacturing tolerances in the pre bent rod, then add in some tolerance on both the bend radius and bend angle and you easily end up with a pin-to-pin variation of 3/8 inches ... probably more than that if we checked more handle sets. Still, that's less than a 5% deviation. The only critical item is that both handles match ... easy if they came from the same manufacturing run.

That would be an interesting experiment. Mix-n-match until you have a pair that deviate by a half inch. Set up your kite and ask someone to test fly it. First, see if they notice any difference; second, see if they can identify what's wrong.

Thus, with all measurements along the handle:

SLE ... 11 inches

B-series ... 13 inches

Extended ... 15 inches

Cheers,
Tom

#18 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

darn school boys stole my B-series handles whilst I was out flying this arvo :kid_cussing:

I'm guessing the rev standard handles are very different to the B-series handles ???

My condolences ...

Tom

#19 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

Errr.... howTF does someone steal your *handles* .. were they not attached to your lines?

B*stard scally chavsters.. had enough of the pikeys at Stopsley.. trying to 'steal' our Revs during a lunch break.. most amusing to see them not able to fly off with the Revs cos they were useless at flying kites, not surprisingly... much better at driving illegal motorbikes across the field pursued by the local police car at 15mph... duh!

Lesson learned... don't leave any kit unattended on fields.

Why handles though?!?

Annoying... :bones: ,my sympathies!
Hezz

#20 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

Curious .... The handles that came with my SLE are identical to my B handles except for the pigtails...... either way there are just three standard handle sizes (non carbon wrapped) of which only the 13" and 15" are still listed on the Rev site so I assume the short ones are no longer available?

I met up with a Rev flyer earlier this week who had an older SLE kite ... his (kite) handles were the 11 inch long set. All I've used are the B-series handles, so the short handles immediately felt like a bad choice to use in light winds. When are the short handles an advantage? With high winds and a Rev II?

Interesting that they seem to be no longer avaiable.

What's the "pin-to-pin" distance on a set of indoor handles? Since they don't have the D-rings, it would seem like they would be cleaner to fly with. Wonder if a set could be cut down and modified to match the B-series size. Anybody have any experience?

Cheers,
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users