#1 sammy

sammy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:31 PM

Hey guys

I have a EXP and i was wondering what is the main differnce between EXP and the 1.5 SLE. ?

thx sammy
RABBI שמואל aka SAMMY

TEAM REV RIDERS! LETS RIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#2 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

Sail material is the biggest difference aside from the SLE.

The EXP is made with a polyester sail its a little heavier and durable which is great for the beginner. It's also a little more forgiving with the 3 wrap frame which softens over control a bit.

Mine has lasted through myself my 2 son's and many first time flyer's that I've talked into trying it.

Only thing they don't seem to hold up to well is water, polyester absorbs way too easy so damp or water flying isn't suggested with it.

Even with all the Rev's I have it still comes out quite often and takes a thrashing just because I know it can handle it.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

Sail material is the biggest difference aside from the SLE.

The EXP is made with a polyester sail its a little heavier and durable which is great for the beginner. It's also a little more forgiving with the 3 wrap frame which softens over control a bit.

Mine has lasted through myself my 2 son's and many first time flyer's that I've talked into trying it.

Only thing they don't seem to hold up to well is water, polyester absorbs way too easy so damp or water flying isn't suggested with it.

Even with all the Rev's I have it still comes out quite often and takes a thrashing just because I know it can handle it.

I do believe you are referring to nylon, not polyester.

The EXP past and if I am not mistaking the present are all made with ripstop nylon.
All SLE's past and present are definitely made of ripstop polyester including the JB.
Nylon will absorb water rather easily where polyester retards it more.
Nylon stretches very easily where polyester does not stretch easily.
Nylon has the characteristic that when stretched it will mostly return where polyester when stretched will not return.
Nylon has a much softer control where in comparison the polyester is quick thus being somewhat radical.
Nylon looses in general its color much quicker then polyester.

From 1988 through 1997 all REV kites where made using ripstop nylon.
The original REV 1.5(made from 1995 through 1997) had a ripstop nylon sail.
In 1998 the REV 1.5 was changed to two versions, the less expensive being the EXP made with ripstop nylon using 1/4"rods only and the 1.5 SLE made with ripstop polyester with the Super Leading Edge(SLE) and 1/4" down rods. The SLE rods where made in two versions, the "Revolution Equipped" and the "UltraLight". I would assume these had 4 and 3 wraps respectively.
During the time the REV 1.5 SLE was made in a lighter version known as the SUL despite the sail being labeled SLE. The sail material, leading material and the bridle were much lighter. All of the rods where changed to the "For Professional Use Only" 2 wrap 1/4"(ID) rods.
Of all the REV 1.5's made(excluding the No-Wind), the true SUL still has the lightest sail.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:38 PM

Yes quite correct, sorry got that backwards. :blushing:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#5 Yippiee

Yippiee

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:11 PM

I do believe you are referring to nylon, not polyester.

The EXP past and if I am not mistaking the present are all made with ripstop nylon.
All SLE's past and present are definitely made of ripstop polyester including the JB.
Nylon will absorb water rather easily where polyester retards it more.
Nylon stretches very easily where polyester does not stretch easily.
Nylon has the characteristic that when stretched it will mostly return where polyester when stretched will not return.
Nylon has a much softer control where in comparison the polyester is quick thus being somewhat radical.
Nylon looses in general its color much quicker then polyester.

From 1988 through 1997 all REV kites where made using ripstop nylon.
The original REV 1.5(made from 1995 through 1997) had a ripstop nylon sail.
In 1998 the REV 1.5 was changed to two versions, the less expensive being the EXP made with ripstop nylon using 1/4"rods only and the 1.5 SLE made with ripstop polyester with the Super Leading Edge(SLE) and 1/4" down rods. The SLE rods where made in two versions, the "Revolution Equipped" and the "UltraLight". I would assume these had 4 and 3 wraps respectively.
During the time the REV 1.5 SLE was made in a lighter version known as the SUL despite the sail being labeled SLE. The sail material, leading material and the bridle were much lighter. All of the rods where changed to the "For Professional Use Only" 2 wrap 1/4"(ID) rods.
Of all the REV 1.5's made(excluding the No-Wind), the true SUL still has the lightest sail.

Wow - What a great explaination John. Being new to Revs, I have often wondered what the differences were.

*****This post along with the differences between all of the other Revs should be posted somewhere easy to find.*****
It would be a great help to anyone needing a (one-stop) resource of information in matching a kite to their needs.

It really would be nice to have one page that listed everything (all the Revs) and compared all the differences. (THE FACTS) material, stiffness of rods, weights, recommended uses, etc. (then the subjective commentary about flying characteristics could come later)

I think that would be an invaluable tool - in the world of Revs! (Not only to the newbie - but the seasoned flyer as well !!!

Thanks for reading - Mike
"I've never met a person that doesn't enjoy a kite dancin on a breeze" Yippiee - Mike

My Photo Gallery

#6 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:50 AM

It would probably be best to have this type of information listed on the main Rev website as well as a sticky on the forum. JMO.

#7 Yippiee

Yippiee

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:47 AM

It would probably be best to have this type of information listed on the main Rev website as well as a sticky on the forum. JMO.

I totally agree Kent - a "one stop" page would be great for everyone. (see earlier posts) especially on the Rev website and here as well.

I would be happy to do it - but I don't have the knowledge or expertise. Sorry

Maybe some of the orginal Rev flyers will step up to the plate on this one. After reading past post for days - seems it is the "number one" topic in some form or fashion; and it echos throught all the posts.

A true "Comparison" chart or page of all the differences between models would save a lot of time for everyone. IMHO
"I've never met a person that doesn't enjoy a kite dancin on a breeze" Yippiee - Mike

My Photo Gallery

#8 sammy

sammy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

HEy guys

Thx for the info , but would you say one flys better then the other.

thx sammy
RABBI שמואל aka SAMMY

TEAM REV RIDERS! LETS RIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#9 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:54 AM

If the SLE has the SLE rod in the edge then it is (IMHO) a dog until it is blowing like stink (25MPH+) so the EXP would be better. But if you changed the leading edge in an SLE to 1/4 inch then it probably has a good edge over the EXP.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#10 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:13 AM

a good edge over the EXP.

pun alert :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users