8 replies to this topic

#1 Heino

Heino

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:14 AM

Hey i just got my sedgwick standart today, i have order is with the normal frame no sle topedge. But unlucky me i got the SLE frame

I was Looking after getting a slow pressision kite to normal / low wind.

Can you tell how much difference there is

Heino Poulsen
Aarre, Denmark

Have a look at my kite website: http://www.blackart.dk

#2 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:28 AM

Big difference in my opinion. I'd see if you can change it to a small diameter leading edge - perhaps one of the elusive Race Rods for the Rev 1

#3 Heino

Heino

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:31 AM

Big difference in my opinion. I'd see if you can change it to a small diameter leading edge - perhaps one of the elusive Race Rods for the Rev 1

I dont have another leading edge. I will have to ordre one, i just want to get the right one

Heino Poulsen
Aarre, Denmark

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

Hey i just got my sedgwick standart today, i have order is with the normal frame no sle topedge. But unlucky me i got the SLE frame

I was Looking after getting a slow pressision kite to normal / low wind.

Can you tell how much difference there is

I think you need to have a talk with the dealer you ordered your REV from. Make some kind of deal with them as they did send you the wrong LE.

The SLE frame on a REV I is quite good for those strong winds, in particular what you find in Fano and Romo. It keeps the sail flatter thus there is less pull. The stiffer the rod, the less billow you will get in the sail, thus the SLE standard and the STIFF 6-wrap(which are rare and available only on special oder) would be an ideal choice in strong winds. Of course a vented REV would be a better choice, but if you don't have one go for stiffer rods if you have them in strong winds.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 Heino

Heino

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

I think you need to have a talk with the dealer you ordered your REV from. Make some kind of deal with them as they did send you the wrong LE.

The SLE frame on a REV I is quite good for those strong winds, in particular what you find in Fano and Romo. It keeps the sail flatter thus there is less pull. The stiffer the rod, the less billow you will get in the sail, thus the SLE standard and the STIFF 6-wrap(which are rare and available only on special oder) would be an ideal choice in strong winds. Of course a vented REV would be a better choice, but if you don't have one go for stiffer rods if you have them in strong winds.

i have a vented b-series..

I want to fly the rev one in low wind, as i have read somethere, the rev 1 good for this and i slow and pressise

Heino Poulsen
Aarre, Denmark

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

I have not flown a Rev 1 much with a SL, I love Rev 1's with the 1/4" spars though.

I would suggest as above that you contact the shop you bought it from and try to come to some sort of a deal.

Highly possible there is someone out there who ordered a SLE rod and has a 1/4".

I have the full set of rods for mine, 2, 3, 4 wrap and the set that comes in the old old kites with the metal ferrules.

#7 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

It all depends on how low is termed low. You have 5 different types of frames from Race, 2wrap, 3wrap, 4wrap and SLE in order of weight. I believe the Race weighs a little less than 2wrap but is more flexible.

If $$ is not an issue, than get the Race frame set for low wind flying with the Rev 1. Otherwise, it's either 2 or 3wrap.

#8 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:09 AM

I believe the Race weighs a little less than 2wrap but is more flexible.

Strictly speaking, more springy rather than more flexible. They spring back to shape faster than a 2 wrap so they feel less 'soggy' but are about the same weight (marginally lighter) and still the same strength as a 3 wrap (or thereabouts).

While it is true that RR are more expensive than 1 set of 'normal' rods, another way of looking at it is that you effectively replace two normal sets, the 2 and 3 wraps, and as such they are great value for money. Also remember you only really need to buy the RR leading edge and can still use normal rods for the uprights. So a perfectly serviceable frame set covering a very wide wind range would be a 4 wrap complete frame set combined with a RR leading edge. This would be improved by adding 2 x 2wrap uprights, but this is IMHO operating at the margin of performance improvement.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#9 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:57 PM

Strictly speaking, more springy rather than more flexible. They spring back to shape faster than a 2 wrap so they feel less 'soggy' but are about the same weight (marginally lighter) and still the same strength as a 3 wrap (or thereabouts).

While it is true that RR are more expensive than 1 set of 'normal' rods, another way of looking at it is that you effectively replace two normal sets, the 2 and 3 wraps, and as such they are great value for money. Also remember you only really need to buy the RR leading edge and can still use normal rods for the uprights. So a perfectly serviceable frame set covering a very wide wind range would be a 4 wrap complete frame set combined with a RR leading edge. This would be improved by adding 2 x 2wrap uprights, but this is IMHO operating at the margin of performance improvement.

Thanks Jeremy! Your description is much more correct :blue-grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users