29 replies to this topic

#21 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:54 PM

This may be :offtopic: so please forgive.

I flew a Sedgwick for the first time a couple of days ago, and I was supprised how heavy the kite was in the air compaired to my 1.5 SLE, and I still use the SLE spars for heavy wind, but for light wind dont even think of trying to fly the Sedgwick.

Not puting the kite down, but could not believe the weight.

Just my one sent worth.

Not off Topic realy :) ,but a sedgewick heavy :confused!: .They are quite a bigger sail which would generate a pull in less wind.With that they fly completley diffrent to a 1.5.
Ther slower,less of a trickster/speedster.More of a big easy precision machine.

What wind did ya fly it in i wonder?
What frame did ya use in her?
What lines are you flying on?
Curious thats all.Ive only ever flown a sedgewick with 3wrap[thinner 1/4 spars]and now Race Rods.Along with 120ft lines and no more than a 9or10 mph wind[MAX].Dont like her in anything above.Usually flown in around a 3or4 mph breeze.Thats when shes at her best.

BRIAN... :)

#22 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:34 AM

I have to say my first encounter with a Rev 1 wasn't encouraging either ... flew my standard (off my progressive) in about 15knots and found it really 'grabby' ..... then flew it in less wind with 3 wrap and it was much better, but still way different to a 1.5 ....... figured it was bridle or set up issue so had a go on Sailors and it felt the same....

Bottom line is its a different experience .. and having persisted and learned how fly it I would now totally agree with Bri ... in light airs, doing precision flying with the right music loaded its awesome...

Guess that's why we end up with a bag full of kites .... different moods, different weather, different company always something that suits ;)

Sedgwick in Hot colours for me please ...

#23 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:48 AM

I'll just chip in on the Sedgwick. I fly it with either 2wrap or 4wrap rods. Much prefer mine with 15" extended handles. The kites feels more connected, esp the brake lines. I tried with the std B-series handles but din like it as much. I have got abt 8" top leaders on both sets of handles.

It's got an elegance that's different from the 1.5. Sail area/weight ratio is definitely much better, making it easier in low winds compared to a 1.5. I'm glad I persisted with it :lol:

#24 Guest_QuadQrazy_*

Guest_QuadQrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:00 AM

What wind did ya fly it in i wonder?
What frame did ya use in her?
What lines are you flying on?

BRIAN... :)

The wind was around 7-9 MPH
The frame was the Advantage
The lines were 90# 85'

I had trouble keeping the kite aloft, maybe I'm just not used to flying it since it was my first time, and I'm spoiled by my 1.5, but it felt like I was trying to fly a rock. I guess I need more practice, and I'm not saying one kite is better, just different, and maybe there is a learning curve.

#25 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

Certainly worth the effort on the lines.Once the head dials in.Im sure it would be a fav to fly in the correct setup and conditions.

PRACTICE,thers the key myfreind.I Luv Practice,its a tough job,but someone has to doit.

Keep at it mate.
BRIAN...

#26 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

The wind was around 7-9 MPH
The frame was the Advantage
The lines were 90# 85'

I had trouble keeping the kite aloft, maybe I'm just not used to flying it since it was my first time, and I'm spoiled by my 1.5, but it felt like I was trying to fly a rock. I guess I need more practice, and I'm not saying one kite is better, just different, and maybe there is a learning curve.

Advantage is the name Revolution sometimes labels their rods. They are all made on the same machine at the Revolution factory in Poway CA.
The question is which Advantage frame was it.

The type of rods used will make a world of difference depending on the wind flown in.
The SLE(Revolution Equipped) 4 wrap frame is the heaviest standard frame. There is/was a special order frame of 6wrap(STIFF) 1/4" rods that is heavier. I have heard of even heavier frames used on long trains of REV Is.
Next in line going down in weight would be the 1/4"(Revolution Equipped) 4wrap frame.
I don't know if an SLE(UltraLight) frame was ever made for the REV I.
Next in line comes the 1/4"(UltraLight) 3wrap frame.
Then comes the 1/4"(Race) 2wrap frame.
Then the lightest, by probably a couple grams, would be the 1/4"(Professional Only) 2wrap frame. It is also the fragilest.

With the lightest frame and the standard REV I sail, you can fly in zero wind with a bit of body movement. Standing still you might be able to keep it up in 2MPH wind, depending on your skills.
On the upper end, the rods will handle any wind you can handle. The sail most likely would hold up but may get some permanent stretching or possibly other damage, being still flyable. This is considering that the rods are in excellent condition and have not sustained any physical damage such as a car door slammed on it.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#27 Guest_QuadQrazy_*

Guest_QuadQrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

Advantage is the name Revolution sometimes labels their rods. They are all made on the same machine at
The question is which Advantage frame was it.

I'm not shure what kind of rods were in the kite, since it was a loner from a friend, and not my personal kite, but I can say thay were NOT the 1/4" rods the end caps fit on the inside of the rods, and used the rubber washers, and I would suggest it is the rods the kite came with when purched, but the rods were stiff, and heavy.

#28 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:58 PM

Maybe they were fishing rods.

Sorry, it just popped into my mind and I started typing B4 I could do anything about it.

Come to think of it that is how all my posts happen.

SEDGWICKS RULE, ane all the other Revs of course.

Dont give up on Rev 1's just cuz this one felt heavy. With the right rods they are a joy. Not as fast as the smaller Revs, and they do feel different. Once you get used to them it is a wonderful relaxing way to fly.

#29 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

I'm not shure what kind of rods were in the kite, since it was a loner from a friend, and not my personal kite, but I can say thay were NOT the 1/4" rods the end caps fit on the inside of the rods, and used the rubber washers, and I would suggest it is the rods the kite came with when purched, but the rods were stiff, and heavy.

Odds are that they were the "Revolution Equipped" 4wrap rods, including the SLE. Those are very strong wind rods and almost unbreakable at that. I would guess that you could fly easily in lower winds, say around 8MPH.
I have 360'd a REV I with 4wrap 1/4" rods on 100 ft lines, but that was in my younger years. It was a bit of running.
That is the type of REV, I learned to fly on, just like John B and a few others who have been at it for a while.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#30 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:17 PM

@ john

I think the Races are just slightly lighter than the 2Ws, or at least that was how it was for one of my sets. Agree?
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users