38 replies to this topic

#1 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:48 AM

Probably been done a few times,but a new pilot like me :innocent: may find the info helpfull.

Ok,Two Questions if i may my freinds,

1,has anyone ever tried 50lb lines and 90lb lines as a quad set together.I have mixed 150lb and 90lb for a while,but HEZZ[yr fault again darling :) but shows im thinking about ya ;) ]made a few experianced, very valid points about KIT.I realised once i thought about it.That i was flying on 150lb line[just plain lazy to change um],when actually 50lb lines MAY have been better,and i say may because a few gusts i had,would get ya twitching/nervous on such lite lines.
So anyone mix 50lb & 90lb and found them usefull .

2,clips on handles,should they be stiff,loose,fixed,whats the Bobby Moore[score].How does it benefit technic or inhibit the kite and flier.

Ther,jobs a goodn.

BRIAN...

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:01 AM

the triangles are a personal preference, . . .
probably more influenced by the type of quad-flying you do routinely.
I'm a "yank & spank-type" of low-wind flier on short lines generally, so i'd prefer no triangles (but i'm also VERY LAZY, so I've only switched 'em out on a couple of handle sets). One set is 17 inches of throw and the other is probably 12 inches.

For team-flying or precision figures this triangular tangle point (particularly on the "tops") isn't an issue at all.

Mixing flying line weights is more important on a foil or traction engine, since the top lines take almost of the stress.

I'd be more afraid of the 50/90 mix then of 150/90 mix. The diameter of the fifty pound line is so thin it's more likely to bind-up with a huge dose of slack thrown in or high moisture levels.

#3 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:08 AM

I have a few short 50' sets of Berry Blue that I use in higher winds that are 140# tops and 100# bottoms that I use for my Vented Sonic they work great.

Most power kites use an alternate line weights with the heavier being on the top being that takes most of the stress while the bottoms are mostly for steering.

Anytime I would use 50# lines outside would be for the lightest conditions and most likely would be all 4 but they do snap easy so be careful.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#4 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

Hi Bri,

Not a fan of the 50lbs. I mainly use 80lbs Shanti and have for 20 years. Used 50lbs a couple of time indoors only

For a 1.5 I've not used anthing heavier for several years, just go more vented.

I do have some old lines from my competition days that are 500lbs :blue-confused:

Cant think of a reason to mix top and bottom on a Rev. The lines creep so I would want even creep.

Simon //X

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#5 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:50 AM

1. No. First off, the lines would stretch differently. Also, There is really no point. I never use anything under 90# outdoors. I only use 50# indoors, and I could do perfectly fine with 90#.

2. Donno. I just don't worry about them because they have never caused me any problems, and I am too lazy to take them off and try new things.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:53 AM

I don't think you will see much benefit at all from going with a mixed set of lines. With power kites, you will usually go with a lighter set of lines on the brakes because you hardly ever have that much tension on them and usually always fly off the front lines. The lighter set on the brakes gives you less line drag which results in better performance from the foil. With power kites the faster the kite flies the more power it can create (apparent wind). If your brake lines are dragging behind it can actually affect your angle of attack and cause the foil to slow down and lower performance.

With the Rev, you will apply just as much pressure on the brake lines as you do on the leading edge lines so flying with a lighter set of lines for your brakes can cause the line to break if it is overstressed. Also because the Rev is a flat skinned, framed kite the angle of attack can be adjusted through your wrists and is less effected by line drag. Because a Rev doesn't really produce that much power (with the exception of the power series), you are usually flying your Rev on lines that are much smaller than that of power kites. As an example, I fly most of my power kites on 400# top lines, 200# brake lines. I fly nearly all my Rev's on 90# line. Line drag from 90# to 50# is barely noticeable at all and IMO, not worth the extra fuss and chance of breaking the 50# line to make it worth the problems. Indoor flying would be the only time I would consider 50# line.

The nice thing about flying all four lines the same weight is that you can switch your tops and bottoms to help equalize the line creep (stretch). With mixed sets they lines will stretch out differently.

Just some thoughts...hope it helps.

#7 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

Well Bri, since you asked :kid_smartass:

TFS generally use 150# and 80# lines, all four lines are the same type, not much point mixing them up, like the people up there said, it's more useful with power kites than Revs.

On the light wind days we'll have ultra light sails, rods, and 80# lines. On the windy days we'll be on 150# lines, SLE rods and vented or teabag sails!

As for the triangles, your choice really, but if you do remove them, be sure to do something to remove the 'burrs' from inside the handle holes before you run some sleeving through it.. otherwise it will fray within about half an hours use... I leave the triangles in for that reason, although if you're doing a lot of arm-waving type tricks you might find it annoying when the triangles flip over... but not half as annoying as the line fraying at an inopportune moment!

:kid_content:

Hezz

#8 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

i have tried 90# over 50# and it works nice but i really didnt see a big diffrence compaired to 90,s all around
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#9 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

Food for thought on question #2: John B has the triangles on his handles. Don't know if it is personal preference, but I took notice when I flew his kite.
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#10 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

My "triangles" (aka bull rings) are generally not loose, but will reposition given some line tension.

I'd avoid (or tighten) loose rings for the simple reason they have been known to flip back, essentially pulling that line without intent.

Seems I never really thought about it before. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#11 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:33 PM

The thing is,i dont think anyone has realy thought about it.The clips are just taken for granted as an extention of the handle.Ther just ther,doin the,,, tie a pig tail to me bit.

Ive used handle with no clip and didnt find any benefit personally for my style of flying.I have my clips well loose now.Ive made sure ther all quite free.

As for line,Mmm,the jury definately favors a none mix of line, for good reason.Stretch being the main one.I will have to try a set mixed for myself[50lb and 90lb x 120ft].Just to try it.

BRIAN...

#12 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:10 AM

I've never tried mixing line strengths, but for 1.5 individual flying, 50lb line has always worked fine for me up to "it's time for a vented now" wind. The connection to the kite is more direct. Worth playing with.

#13 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:40 AM

I too would like to put in a favorable word for 50s - really great when nothing else will keep it up - a sort of blue pill for kites.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#14 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:57 AM

I often have trouble keeping it up. Must try 50's have some Climax black line somewhere. :D

#15 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:49 AM

I'm from the land of no-wind and I've tried all of the fifty pound varieties of flying lines. There's no equal in my experience to the LaserPro Gold 50#.
I can use 120 foot team length lines in about a dead calm w/o any extra effort.

For throws & catches though, the 90 pound LPG works significantly better. It's got a tighter braid and higher modulus (compared to other brands), so it's like flying on wires,... the stuff just refuses to tangle or pick-up foreign matter from the ground!

If you remove the triangle, don't just larks-head your leader line thru the existing holes, instead attach 'em to a "cut-down" nail that has been passed thru the holes. Slip the leader line thru a tiny opening pressed into the vinyl end-cap and then slide back down into position. I hold the nail in place with a little wrap of vinyl electrical tape, covered over by the end-cap, after assembly for a nice clean look. Now nothing can cut the leaders and the process has also lengthened your throw ever so slightly (by moving the attachment points further out from the center).

#16 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:56 AM

I'm from the land of no-wind and I've tried all of the fifty pound varieties of flying lines. There's no equal in my experience to the LaserPro Gold 50#.
I can use 120 foot team length lines in about a dead calm w/o any extra effort.

For throws & catches though, the 90 pound LPG works significantly better. It's got a tighter braid and higher modulus (compared to other brands), so it's like flying on wires,... the stuff just refuses to tangle or pick-up foreign matter from the ground!

If you remove the triangle, don't just larks-head your leader line thru the existing holes, instead attach 'em to a "cut-down" nail that has been passed thru the holes. Slip the leader line thru a tiny opening pressed into the vinyl end-cap and then slide back down into position. I hold the nail in place with a little wrap of vinyl electrical tape, covered over by the end-cap, after assembly for a nice clean look. Now nothing can cut the leaders and the process has also lengthened your throw ever so slightly (by moving the attachment points further out from the center).

Can you provide pix to show this method? I'd be interested in trying something like that.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#17 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:33 AM

I guess I could take some photos, but this isn't some new fangled thing I just dreamed up.
These modifications to the handles are older than the internet or almost! I was introduced to the clip-less handles by Jeff Burka, probably about '93.

Somewhere on the web is a more complete explanation which I followed.
-paul

PS: I'm not the handiest guy to have around. One time the wife told me the lamp was out in the living room so I bought a new one. She then advised me,.... "Nope you dope, you can just buy a replacement light bulb next time!" I felt pretty dumb that day I can tell ya'. The moral of the story is,... if I can figure it out by myself then I'm certain you can do it too!

#18 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:51 AM

Can you provide pix to show this method? I'd be interested in trying something like that.

Try this thread ... is this what you're looking for?

http://www.revkites....h...5&hl=handle

#19 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:23 AM

Or, if you really like the rings, visit your local farm store :blue_wink:
pig_ring.jpg

I believe they ring the pig's nose to discourage it from digging its way out of the pen.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#20 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

Wonder if that is the same reason why they put rings in Bull's noses.

Just imagine the size of a hole if a Bull was to dig its way out of a pen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users