English Summers

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dangerousdistress

dangerousdistress
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:08 PM

After a summer of howling gales which commenced at the Dunstable event, a new spar for my SLE (unvented) which has now regularly flown in winds exceeding 30 mph, i finally bought a vented B series! it arrived today (much praise to Kite Shop).

Awaiting the winter and even stronger winds with Glee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DD

#2 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

just remember when you're flying that sexy new kites. Hours will feel like minutes ;)

#3 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

Awaiting the winter and even stronger winds with Glee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Humm. And what happens the very next day after your post - gales, driving rain, ......... :kid_cussing: :kid_cussing:
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#4 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:22 AM

Humm. And what happens the very next day after your post - gales, driving rain, ......... :kid_cussing: :kid_cussing:

There's another active thread of flying in water. But we get to go it airborne too. :badmood:
Andy

#5 dangerousdistress

dangerousdistress
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:59 AM

Had to work this morning- boo. Out this afternoon - Yippee. Southdowns here I come!!!! I thought this was kind of weather Jeremy. :)

Mark M

#6 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:31 AM

Had to work this morning- boo. Out this afternoon - Yippee. Southdowns here I come!!!! I thought this was kind of weather Jeremy. :)

Mark M

yep Just checking some of the latest models and we might get a suitable break this afternoon on the South coast.... where you flying I might come and join you ;)

#7 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:53 AM

we might get a suitable break this afternoon on the South coast.

ROTFPMPL

I suggest you take along both a 4 wrap and a SLE frame set. Insert the 4 wrap into the SLE then put in leading edge. Finally fill up the leading edge with epoxy and micro-ballons. That should just about give you a frame set that is stiff enough.

Looking on the bright side, I sent my Accountants out on a corporate charter today into the Eastern Solent. Can't wait to see them on their return, if they do indeed manage to return. That'll teach them not to charge their exhorbitant rates.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#8 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:38 AM

ROTFPMPL

I suggest you take along both a 4 wrap and a SLE frame set. Insert the 4 wrap into the SLE then put in leading edge. Finally fill up the leading edge with epoxy and micro-ballons. That should just about give you a frame set that is stiff enough.

Looking on the bright side, I sent my Accountants out on a corporate charter today into the Eastern Solent. Can't wait to see them on their return, if they do indeed manage to return. That'll teach them not to charge their exhorbitant rates.

Aren't we Mr Doom and Gloom ;) Don't know what forecast your using but my 3 favourite sites/models all show it dropping to around 18 knots from the South in the Solent area ..... ok maybe a bit of precipitation but we cant be too fussy in the is country.... now grunt up and get out there!

#9 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:16 AM

Don't know what forecast your using but my 3 favourite sites/models all show it dropping to around 18 knots from the South in the Solent area

I use the most reliable model of all for short range forecasting. I go outside and look whats happening!

The first of my bunch of accountants just moored up - they couldn't take the wind/waves/rain and have come in for a stiff drinkies! They were doing 4 knots outside the harbour with no sails up. 18 knots LOL!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#10 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:59 AM

I think all the "bad" UK weather is just a rumor. I was there for 12 days and all I saw was two small sprinkles that turned into beautiful days.
:D

#11 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:18 AM

I think all the "bad" UK weather is just a rumor. I was there for 12 days and all I saw was two small sprinkles that turned into beautiful days.
:D

Yeah but you see your not British JD you wouldn't understand our obsession with the weather... we notice every little drop!

Anyway I'm at Hill head flying my vented and 3 wrap in 17 knots and Sunshine so who's laughing now ????

(Ok 3 minutes later.... and I'm now sheltering in the car during a brief shower but my kite is still outside in 18 knots and rain! but it looks like even better weather inbound..)
:bye1:

Attached Thumbnails

• GetImage.aspx.gif

#12 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:28 AM

Interesting the graph, with real time data says 22knots gusting 30, and looking at my whirly gig we are getting 28 here.

17 knots :busted2:

Oh, and it appears to be raining ............
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#13 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:41 AM

here it's sunny, blue sky, and 12 degrees C
^_^

but then again the sun just came up.

#14 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

here it's sunny, blue sky, and 12 degrees C
^_^

but then again the sun just came up.

Don't make me come over there and slap you JD.... We don't need anyone rubbing it in ;)

And you call yourself a Sailor Jeremy??? Obviously only a fair weather Sailor ;) I got an hour in before it started really raining and even considered a Mid-Vent!! Still only 15 knots now (but very wet)

Attached Thumbnails

• GetImage.aspx.gif

#15 dangerousdistress

dangerousdistress
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:51 AM

Don't make me come over there and slap you JD.... We don't need anyone rubbing it in ;)

And you call yourself a Sailor Jeremy??? Obviously only a fair weather Sailor ;) I got an hour in before it started really raining and even considered a Mid-Vent!! Still only 15 knots now (but very wet)

I managed to avoid all the rain (I think it avoided me after my earlier comments) Had bright sun most of the afternoon. Not quite T shirt weather 25 - 30 mph wind (southerly) at my flying site on Firle. Unfornuately my lines arent quite long enough to practice dipping the wing tips at Bewl Water from here.

Nice comment about the accountants. Wish I could do the same with builders, architects, politicians (whoops) etc

#16 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

I'll try and behave myself. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users