Light Wind Setup Opinions Wanted

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 Revkitedancer

Revkitedancer
  • Forum Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

Someone send that girl some short lines. Then you can pracitce with what you have. You'll be amazed.

Any 1.5 w/out the SLE will work. It will take practice, but that's what we consider fun.

Next, talk Indoor for Xmas. The Indoor is good 0 -maybe 3 mph. So you can practice outside, especially around twilight.. which we call the dead zone. Seems like less wind about that time.

If you would like invitations in the future, then indoor flying is a plus, maybe even a must.

I'm inland and started with a 1.5 on short lines. It has a larger wind window then the indoor. It works in 0 to wind. lol When you get your indoor you will absolutely fall in love with it. 3-D flying feels like freedom of expression. Huh Spence?

What do I fly with? Different lengths of short lines, SUL handles, Nothing ever less then 90 lbs. I'm a drag queen and break anything under 90 lbs.

Practice long arms. Extend those arms out and that will give you more pull for lift. (We just started doing this because it looked better.)
Practice moving your body for no wind flying.
Practice pointing the bottom of your handles straight up. You'll have to create more lift if you don't give it more direction.

Yup, they've all said it; Practice, Practice, Practice.

Just Do it! from NIKE who did you know, is the Greek Winged Goddess of Victory?

BB Penny ~who looks forward to seeing you fly one day.

#22 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:13 AM

And then there is technique. Mike showed me how to do the float properly - hand that is controlling the upper wing right back . In fact it is even better if you can get that upper wing hand down low, then you can pull it back even further. Turn (your body) to be facing the opposite way to the leading edge as you float across the window. And it is sooooooo sloowwwwwwww, everything really gentle. Have a look at an iQuad/JB vid in light wind and I am sure you will see what I mean. Anyway I practiced my float like what he showed me and it really helped.

Remember a new kite costs a few bucks, but technique is free.

SAILOR: I think you are really hitting the crux of the problem here. Technique really is everything and once again I'm frustrated because I'm not learning fast enough (IMO). Admittedly, I'm my own worst critic. I have a 1.5 Std with preferred RR frames. I wasn't aware the RRs are lighter in weight than the 2wraps. I've just recently made some headway in hovering and should look into this "long arm technique".

WATTY & PENNY: Yes... I do think an indoor Rev is in my future. :? I've seen what you both can do with them indoors and out and I'm very intruigued. I pretty much agree with everyone here who has said I need to experiment with shorter lines.

Ok, so my ~Technique~ Laundry List is growing, and it looks like I should save up for some linesets in my future. I really appreciate everyone's input on this. I realize there is more than one way to do things which is why I wanted to open this topic up to the forum. Y'all have been verrrrry helpful and my virtual ears are still open!!! :sign_kitelife:

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#23 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:18 AM

Joe H did a very good video on light wind technique. I don't know if rev would have a back copy they would let you have....
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#24 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:26 AM

Joe H did a very good video on light wind technique. I don't know if rev would have a back copy they would let you have....

I've heard tale of this. I know other instructional videos have ended up on foreign versions of Youtube, I should go searching...

#25 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:34 AM

I 'think' it was called light wind technique.......
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#26 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:37 AM

I've heard tale of this. I know other instructional videos have ended up on foreign versions of Youtube, I should go searching...

The Powerblast DVD has a really good section on light wind techniques and my SUL came with a very old (but still relevant) video ....all starring Joe or "Look Dad thats the man off the TV teaching Mummy how to fly her kite" as he is known in my house now! ...

PM inbound Aerochic!

#27 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:42 AM

PM inbound Aerochic!

:) When a plan comes together :)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#28 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:35 PM

In light winds I usually go out with a B-series with Race rods in my hand and some 50# line in the other. Usually 120' because you get that nice high window and possibly wind higher up. but I've been out in about 1 mph without worries. ;)

#29 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

In light winds I usually go out with a B-series with Race rods in my hand and some 50# line in the other. Usually 120' because you get that nice high window and possibly wind higher up. but I've been out in about 1 mph without worries. ;)

Hmmmm...Ok, I'm halfway there equipment wise. I really need some more lines...

#30 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

Basically, yes you need shorter lines. 30 to 50 feet.
In the lighter wind the technique is pretty easy as long as your thinking while your learning. After a while you won't have to think. But it's a good idea for the time being to talk to your self.
Good thing to remember is that you don't need as much brake in lighter winds.
Vertical up, walk backwards. You'll get the hang of how fast you have to walk pretty quick.
Vertical down move forward with brakes on for the float. Again, you'll learn how fast or slow pretty quick.
Horizontal and angles all you have to remember is to keep the top hand in close to your body the bottom hand extended. Rotate your hands to keep your thumbs pointing in the same direction as the LE. (Horizonally.)
Sometimes you have to walk backwards horizontally, but you'll get the hang of that as you work. Just keep the top wing hand in and maybe a little thumb on the top.
When flying in reverse Vertically, slightly bounce or vibrate the brake lines to help keep the kite stable. You'll get that as you try it. Little movements.
Horizontal Reverse you'll find that you'll lock the top hand in close to the body and work the brake on the lower extended hand to keep the kite vertical and to give you backward movment.

You'll get it. Like all other aspects of Rev's it's practice. Shorter lines would help though.

Dean :sign_kitelife:

#31 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

Hmmmm...Ok, I'm halfway there equipment wise. I really need some more lines...

Line length shouldn't make too much of a difference. but there is a huge difference from a set of 90# and 50#

#32 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

Good thing to remember is that you don't need as much brake in lighter winds.

just a personal taste, I use nearly the same about of break in most all winds. assuming we're talking about leaders. I'm almost always at 9" on top.

#33 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

just a personal taste, I use nearly the same about of break in most all winds. assuming we're talking about leaders. I'm almost always at 9" on top.

We're typoing about someone just learning. Lift helps with frustration when learning JD. LOL

#34 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

^_^ point well taken.

if i take the breaks off i have more trouble flying in the light stuff. It's just not what I'm used too.

#35 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

I'm flying with about 9" on the top leader and as close to the handle as I can get too. (about 1/2") I have the technique from flying duallies indoors so that helped me. But even still I go for at least a little lift. You don't have to work quite as hard. Beginning in light wind is predominitly forward flight, hence the lift.

Aerochic, you'll get it quick. Like I said, talk to yourself. It'll help. Unless you got someone next to you that can make the calls for you. Keep the top hand in, the bottom hand out (top wing in, bottom wing out) to allow the kite to float. Up vertically is for short amounts of time. I'm sure you'll find yourself inverted alot of the time at first. If you feel like your loosing control, turn the kite inverted (LE down) and hit full brakes and take a step or what ever it takes to get your bearings back.

Dean :kid_frustrated: :kid_devlish:

#36 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

In addition to what Dean has already stated..

when you're heading up. Pull with long smooth motions as opposed to fast quick pulls which typically will make the kite move up a few feet then stall.

#37 Revkitedancer

Revkitedancer
  • Forum Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

Line length shouldn't make too much of a difference. but there is a huge difference from a set of 90# and 50#

Difference? Which do you fly on JD?

I think length makes a huge difference in how the kite flies. The longer the lines, the slower the kite=the more reaction time you have.

In the beginning line weight seems to matter, but after you learn, it doesn't really matter. (in my mind) except that the weight should be strong enough Not to break. If your gentle with the kite a 50 lb line might do. If you are jerking and kicking the kite (I've got a strange style) the strength does matter. Most quad fliers I know use heavier then 50 lbs.

So Dean~ a hover?.. hold your arms in place at body and extention points (just like your holding the kite Your arms are laid out)

Holding the handles horizontal leading just a little with your forward motion if you want to float forward, or handles with a little forward up.. pointing the bottom of the handles slightly up if you want to go up..and stepping back to give lift while you are stable and balancing the kite in place as needed. hmmm Dean.. doesn't seem like much to do for one move. :) You make it sound so easy.

I call it "a summer of fun".. learning to float and invert your kite in any direction.

Is this Dean that I will see in Kentucky in a few weeks?

BB Penny

#38 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

What I mean to say is that in light winds (under 4mph) 50# is the way to go. Any more wind then by all means use a 90# set of line.

By the length not being an issue I was referring to a delay between hand and kite movement.

Yes longer line will help you because the kite will appear to be moving slower because it can travel so much farther through the sky

#39 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

No Penny, unfortunatly I'm stuck in Oregon. You gave me some advice on KiteLife a while ago. Broke my MEFM and met RescueRev and have been on the Rev kick since.
I have a Rev 1 with the stock 4 wrap 1/4" rods. The stock 150# 100' lines and a 50-60' set of 90# that I fly on. I've seen ALOT of light to no wind, and well if ya wanna fly you better learn how. Fortunatly I have the indoor dual line experience that is transferable in keeping the kite in the air. So far about the only difference between dual line and quad is the inputs to make the kite turn.
Although when you move to fast forward while floating to gain ground with a duallie you get out of it with a flat spin, with the Rev you axle. With either kite that specific trick nuetralizes the kite again.

Dean :matrix:

#40 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:13 AM

OK after reading a few of these posts it's quite obvious everyone has their own preferences and styles when it comes to light wind.

Before you can get your own style I think one needs to gain the understanding on how the kite works in a aerodynamic way in low wind conditions, examples : maximizing kinetic energy and utilizing both aerodynamics and gravity.

In the Power Blast 2-4 and other speed series DVD's Joe H. demonstrates maximizing the float characteristics and minimizing energy loss via LE turns down instead of up going across the window with the top of the leading edge slightly fwd to help propel the kite fwd and the long arm bow and arrow method.

He not only shows but pretty much explains very well how the design of the kite utilizes even the lightest winds in a very basic manner which are the first steps into finding what comfortably works for you through practice and experimentation.

If its possible for you to get a hold of 1 of these DVD's I think the tutorial in them would give you a great head start into understanding what you want to accomplish.

They say a picture can show a thousand words, video can make it a reality I'm sure someone in Jersey would be more then happy to lend you a DVD I myself will try and convert a copy to PC friendly and send it to you.

P.S. standard b-series with race rods outperforms my SUL's all day so you already have the equipment needed.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users