#1 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hi,

I've a question regarding the type of alternate framing you can have for a STD Rev 1. I've just ordered a custom Rev 1 from Ben that comes with race rods. I think this is going to be a real asset in really light winds but thinking of ordering a 2nd set of full framing for me to fly it in higher winds (Don't really want to chance the race rods there)

Any advice? I'm hoping to be covered well down from 1mph to probably around 10 - 15mph. I'm already familiar with the 2wrap, 3wrap and 4wraps on both my STD and VTD B-Series.

How high do you think I can take my Rev 1 with race rods until? 8mph or so? Also like the B-Series, is it possible and practical to slip in 2 leading edges for higher wind? I'm thinking maybe getting a 3wrap and using both race rods and the 3 wrap when the wind starts really blowing pretty hard.

Thanks for the advice.
Darryl

#2 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:03 AM

the race rods will cover the same upper range at 3 wrap so 15mph is not a problem. You may want 4 wrap then with doubling the leading edge you have the wind covered to a silly speed when you wouldn't want to fly a I anyway.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#3 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

I'm curious to see how the race frame works in the much larger sail of the Rev 1, All my 1's are older ones that have the 4 wrap with metal external ferrules and those fly pretty decent in the 4-6 mph range while the 2 wraps from what I've seen in video's would be only for the extreme low wind due to the limpness of them in that big a sail.

Even with the 4 wraps i do have I've i tend to put it away after 15 mph as i don't have the vented model so if your looking for a 10-20 frame i think the 4 wrap would be a safe route and there would be no need for doubling up.

Let us know how that race frame works for you i personally want to get a light wind frame for mine as the only time I'll use my rev 1 is in the lightest winds.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#4 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:00 AM

I've got a set of Rev I Race Rods in the pipeline, but would be cautious using them in more than a light, smooth wind.
The Rev I's leading edge is 9' long and that's a considerable amount of sail to support.
I'd recommend a 4 Wrap Equipped for gusty or medium+ winds. There's room in the leading edge pocket to double up, but it's a tight fit.

#5 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:07 PM

Thanks guys. I've my mind more or less made up with the 4wrap spars now. However I've another question since my kite hasn't arrived yet. The verticals, Does the 4Wrap go into them? Or its either the 2 wrap or 3 wrap?

Also I'm assuming all 5 spars for hte Rev1 are of identical length, like the 1.5 and B series right?

Thanks
Darryl

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:48 PM

Darryl,
If you live in an area where the winds are in general light, like in San Diego, you will be fine with the Race rods, 2 or 3 wrap rods. With 4 wrap rods you will have to work a little bit more to keep the REV flying a lot of the time.
The 2 wrap rods are amazingly tough as long as the REV is in the air and they have not been damaged previously. They are sensitive to physical damage, so always pack them towards the center of your kite bag. Also on the ground they are a bit sensitive to being stepped on. In 17 years of flying REV I's I have sustained 2 broken 2-wraps rods, 1 broken 3 wrap rod and one split end on a 6 wrap Stiff rod. I never damaged a 4 wrap rod. The first 2 wrap rod I broke was in a wind of around 20MPH in which the rod exploded into 5 pieces. I exceeded excessively the limits of the rod. The other two wrap was stepped on. The 3 wrap sustained physical damage in transport and popped at one point in a mild wind. The 6 wrap, I don't know why it split on the end. It could have been the ferrule was not properly inserted.
For the REV 1.5 it is a similar story, but only 12 years.

For an all around frame I would suggest the Race frame despite the fact I never tried it on a REV I. I have quite a bit of time on the REV 1.5 using the race frame.

For the vertical rods, in general use the same as the horizontal rods, however with time you might start mixing pending your personal preference.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#7 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

Agree with John that the rods are tougher than one thinks. I was lucky enough to be lent a set of 2,3 & 4 wraps for my I recently to try out. I found the 2 wraps would take me over quite a good range of wind speeds. About 8 mph the kite became a bit frisky, but I never had any doubts about the rods.

If you are working to a budget, getting the leading edge right is the most important thing. It is from the bend of the LE that you develop the power and control. You can, for example, go for a 2 wrap LE with 4 wrap (what is normally supplied with the I) verticals. It is not ideal, but it is also not too far off IMHO.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#8 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

I have only 2 Rev 1's. I also only have 4 wrap 1/4" rods.
For anything past the Race Rods, the 4 wrap 1/4" rods are the answer. I have flown in 20mph winds stacked and have seen 30 mph winds as a single and have never broken a 4 wrap rod.
Between the Race set and the 4 wrap set you'll have all the rods you'll ever need for the Rev 1. I fly mine in under 4 mph up past 20 mph on a regular basis. With the 4 wrap rods. I only have 4 wraps. I'd love a 2 wrap set.

Dean

#9 Revkitedancer

Revkitedancer
  • Forum Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:38 AM

My advice would be to be careful in high winds w/ a Rev. I. To much wind and it can hurt or even kill someone, and has. The handles were pulled out of someone's hands. This has happened without incidence more then once, so be aware.

That sail has a lot of pull. I've seen men brake a 4 wrap while the kite was flying in the air in about 20 mph. However, I'll bet this was before we had adjustments on our handles to slow it down. So you be the judge.

The Rev I is impressive, but so are the right kites for the right wind.

BB Penny ~who loves Rev I's and Super Blast too.

#10 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

I have flown a Rev 1 in some silly winds, got away with it however, more by luck. The highest wind was probably gusting to 25mph or so, with the old fashioned metal ferrule rods.

I now have 2, 3, 4 wrap and the old rods, presume they are 4 wrap (not marked) also have a vented, (Sedgwick) I will fly my 1 alongside a 1.5 most of the time. Love the laid back-ness of it.

I just LOVE flying any and all of my Revs.

My favourite Rev / rod combination? The one I am flying at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users