5 replies to this topic

#1 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hey everybody, been trying to do this since i got my progressive stack, and no matter what I try it just seems to fail. I don't know if I'm just doing it wrong, or just got one thing out of whack. I'll start it out like a regular axel, and over exaggerate the movements, because in most cases more drag = need for more movement. it just kinda goes lopsided and is way over angeled. Not like i expect it to go perfectly flat, just too many dissimular shapes. would 85' lines be too short? Any hints would be nice.

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

Hey everybody, been trying to do this since i got my progressive stack, and no matter what I try it just seems to fail. I don't know if I'm just doing it wrong, or just got one thing out of whack. I'll start it out like a regular axel, and over exaggerate the movements, because in most cases more drag = need for more movement. it just kinda goes lopsided and is way over angeled. Not like i expect it to go perfectly flat, just too many dissimular shapes. would 85' lines be too short? Any hints would be nice.

After many failed attempts I kind of cracked that one (I think Choccy posted a picture/video as proof) .... the key for me was just the right amount of wind (about 6-8 mph) and plenty of fast walking/running forward to put enough slack into the lines for all three kites to rotate fully.... also as has been stated elsewhere about stacks in general... concentrating on the back kite (Rev 1) is important so axel that and the others follow....other then that not that different to a single kite axel ...

I would add that I only really get any success sliding from the left of the window, inverted but with the 'nose' lifted at about 20 degrees and with the right hand lines crossed on top ... just cant seem to get any joy coming from the right (Right handed bias I suppose)

good luck .. looks so cool when it works!

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

I first axeled a Rev progressive stack about 12 years ago. I found it was easier, say about 5 meters or so up, instead of close to the ground. As with Jonesy I am also right-handed when axeling, in particular a REV stack. I start leading edge down to the left and tilt the left most tip up first about 20 or so degrees. I know I pull the left and push the right, but from there on , I can't explain it. I just do it.
You definitely should have a smooth constant wind to learn on.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:31 AM

Okay guys, I will try this out, hopefully i'll get a steady day soon for it too. And thanks for the pointers.

#5 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

Okay, when I saw this topic I thought to myself, "this guy should ask nobodyspecial because he's the master at axels"....but then I realized that the question was actually coming from nobodyspecial. haha. Anyway, good luck with getting it down. I'll look forward to a demonstration of your new skill at our next meet up.
~AdventureAng
Happy flying to everybody. Now get off the computer and get a kite out! hehe

#6 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:38 PM

After many failed attempts I kind of cracked that one (I think Choccy posted a picture/video as proof) ....

If I remember right, the link was in the "Jolly Up 2" thread.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users