• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikeb

mikeb
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:19 PM

Hi - the name is Mike.
I fly various Revs as well as buggy useing Flexifoil Rages, Bullets, Blurrs etc. I crash quite a lot when flying the Fexi's and my kitekillers have been invaluable on more than one occasion. I want to try buggying with a Rev Blast and PowerBlasts 2-4 and 4-8. Has anybody attached kitekillers to these revs and if so do they work, what make of killer has been used and how and where do you attach them? Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to lose any kites.

regards - Mike

#2 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

The thing with Rev's are YOU contol the power and speed being its a different animal than a foil, you want to release the power just release the 2 bottom lines 1" the more you release the more it just sits there and hovers.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#3 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

their is no need for killers on a rev.. they are needed for foils .. foils are strictly powerkites and thats it.. revs have some power like the blast and super blast but the regular revs are made for tricks and precision.. the killers are in the brakes
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#4 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:47 AM

the killers are in the brakes

not sure I'd see it that way being a featherweight :lol:

More brake how ??
1 of the 47.

#5 steve_hobart

steve_hobart
  • Forum Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:06 AM

Hi Mike,

I am pretty new to Rev's (a few months), but do a lot of power kiting (landboarding and buggying and general scudding) using a PKD Buster II with kite killers.

With foils , while they are quad line, the brake lines don't get used as much as the top lines, therefore I tend to run them more on full power.

With my Rev Blast and (soon to be received 2-4) I fly them with tension on all lines all the time - so there is more immediate control and precision.

I find that I can "tip" the power out of my Blast pretty quickly and haven't thus felt the need for killers (mind you the Blast doesn't have as much power as my 3 m Buster).

I'll see how I feel with my 2-4 - but I am guessing that similarly because of the control I wont be needing killers on that either...........it's big, but still very precise......

A 4-8 - that may be another story!!!!!!!!!!!!

Killers are essential on foils though - for the safety of yourself and others around you !

Thinking about it - with foils if you let go of the handles, the killers pull the brake lines and the kite deflates falling to the ground.

But with a Rev, if you let go of the handles and the killers pulled the brake line it may well scream down to earth at top speed and both destroy the kite and injure someone - you would be better off controlling the kite to a safe steady landing.....

cheers and good luck

steve

#6 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:37 AM

I imagine you could use killers if you want, and just attach them to the top lines instead of the brake lines. But as others have said, I'm not sure you'd need to. Revs seem to depower themselves entirely if you just release all tension on the bottom lines. The other day, I was flying my 1.5 standard in moderate winds, and some ridiculously strong gusts suddenly came along. Eventually, even the edges of the window seemed to be overexerting the kite and I just let the bottom lines go slack, holding the handles loosely at the very top. The kite instantly depowered and gently floated down to the ground, with all four lines nice and slack, even as the winds were positively howling and dust was getting kicked up everywhere. I was quite impressed by this, as I've had very little time on revs and had no idea if this approach would work.

I'd recommend giving this approach a try before hassling with kite killers.
kairusan

#7 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

The problem you are going to run into with kite killers on the larger Rev's (Power Blast Series) is that in order for the killers to work you will need to attach them far enough up on the brake line (or leading edge line) so that when activated the kite will be able to flag out enough to work. At that point you will lose all control of the kite and the kite will be at the mercy of the ground and gravity. If done high in the window the kite has the possibility of slamming into the ground and you will probably break something. The Rev's really don't need kite killers because of the reasons listed above. The depower on them is better than any other fixed bridle foil kite on the market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users