Lines on a "B" Series Revolution.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FlyingFrog

FlyingFrog
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

Hi Guys, I just got my first Revolution today, a brand spanking new "B" Series in Lime and Black. The wife has seen very little of me as I have been up on my "flying field" for most of the day. I am delighted with the kite but I have a little queery about the set up. I have only had very light winds today, just about 2 - 3 MPH top whack and have had difficulties keeping the kite up in the air at times. I have had to set the "forward" lines on the knot nearest to the handles and then, to get the kite to launch I had to shorten the braided loops on the lines at the bridle end. I checked the lengths (A new set of Lazer Gold - 80 foot lines) of the lines before I set the kite up to make sure that they were all the same length, which they were. Is this normal, or is it just because the winds were so low.
P.S. (I was flying with the 2 Wrap Rods in the kite to make it lighter)
Your help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

Hi Guys, I just got my first Revolution today, a brand spanking new "B" Series in Lime and Black. The wife has seen very little of me as I have been up on my "flying field" for most of the day. I am delighted with the kite but I have a little queery about the set up. I have only had very light winds today, just about 2 - 3 MPH top whack and have had difficulties keeping the kite up in the air at times. I have had to set the "forward" lines on the knot nearest to the handles and then, to get the kite to launch I had to shorten the braided loops on the lines at the bridle end. I checked the lengths (A new set of Lazer Gold - 80 foot lines) of the lines before I set the kite up to make sure that they were all the same length, which they were. Is this normal, or is it just because the winds were so low.
P.S. (I was flying with the 2 Wrap Rods in the kite to make it lighter)
Your help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

In a very light wind, the REV will not normally just lift off the ground by tilting the handles back. You have to give it a quick snap/yank back with handles tilted back and then let off as the Rev starts to rise.
Does someone have better wording?

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:55 PM

I am assuming you have not flown quads before, but if this is wrong please excuse me. What you are describing is normal in very light winds for your first times out. Don't worry it gets easier. For you first day a 8-15mph would be ideal and would have made your life easier (much much easier in fact) but I understand your desire to try out your new toy! Light wind flying is IMHO the most difficult. With more technique under your belt you will find you are adding extra knots onto the brake lines at the kite end to give you more brakes - the exact opposite of your experience today.

We have better winds forecast for the weekend. Keep trying and experimenting. You will find you are undoing those extra knots you put into you bridle today before you know it!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#4 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

PS the most important thing is you clearly understand the dynamics of the kite as you did the right thing if you are struggling to launch - check your lines then add more forwards. You are off to a great start.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#5 FlyingFrog

FlyingFrog
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:29 PM

I am assuming you have not flown quads before, but if this is wrong please excuse me. What you are describing is normal in very light winds for your first times out. Don't worry it gets easier. For you first day a 8-15mph would be ideal and would have made your life easier (much much easier in fact) but I understand your desire to try out your new toy! Light wind flying is IMHO the most difficult. With more technique under your belt you will find you are adding extra knots onto the brake lines at the kite end to give you more brakes - the exact opposite of your experience today.

We have better winds forecast for the weekend. Keep trying and experimenting. You will find you are undoing those extra knots you put into you bridle today before you know it!

In reply to your question/ comment, I am completely new to Revolution Kites but I have quite a bit of experience with 4 line Power Kites. I do however realise that the Revolution is a completely different flying technique.

#6 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:00 PM

Light wind flying is very difficult especially for someone just starting out. When laching in light winds, you need to give it a good pull just to get it up, then keeping it up is an other thing entirely. As Sailor said, wait for day with ideal wind conditions for your first learning experience. You will find that things will become much easier in the ideal wind. Then, once you are flying well in the good wind, you can try going lower.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 FlyingFrog

FlyingFrog
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:24 PM

Thanks guys, I suspected that it was more down to wind conditions more than set up. I'll have to wait (if I can) for better winds. In the mean time I will persevere as long as it isn't bucketing down.
I appreciate the help and advice!

#8 tonycarl

tonycarl

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:28 PM

Once you get the kite off the ground in a light wind turn the kite side ways, push the low side out while pulling the high side in until the rev floats or goes up. Also, the rev likes to hang inverted better than right side up in a light wind.

#9 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:08 AM

I hate to remember how frustrated I got the first time I tried a Rev. It was on one of those Days with little gentle puffs of greeze followed by dead calm. Then a wind from a different direction. It was an exiting Day as I had just got this beast I had seen so mant folks flying so easily. I was determined not to go home until I had the thing flying.

I am afraid I failed and went home dissapointed. It was quite a few Days B4 I got the hang of it, must admit I am still not ay good. However I ENJOY my time with a Rev, it lets me centre myself if that makes sense. And I only need to fly it as well as I want to fly it.

My problem is that I do not do enough of what I advise, Practice, practice, practice. You understand 4 line FF so you have a start. I am sure you will go fine in a kinder wind.

#10 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:32 AM

I hate to remember...

<snip>

I remember that day... can't remember which year it was. (1989/90?) It was frustrating at the time but in hindsight it becomes a very special moment which should be treasured. I was 'on my own' with no mentor! (Actually Juliette was with me on Blackheath and she turned the kite over for me, time after time)

Enjoy it!

Felix

#11 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

I remember that day... can't remember which year it was. (1989/90?) It was frustrating at the time but in hindsight it becomes a very special moment which should be treasured. I was 'on my own' with no mentor! (Actually Juliette was with me on Blackheath and she turned the kite over for me, time after time)

Enjoy it!

Felix

The second day beginner was on Blackheath today. As the breeze was quite strong I suggested that the 1.5B 'not vented' would be a bit of a handful! (15 - 20 mph I guess)

I handed over the vented SLE and let the flier set it up. I went over to check it out and found that the uprights were in front of the sail... Soon corrected.

We set up loops on the top of the handles for staking. The kite was set for maximum reverse on John's pigtails so the flier had to take a step back for initial launching. Apart from a tendency to 'drag the handles back' at launch (digging the kite into the ground) the flier succeeded in getting the kite into the air and began to manipulate the handles and learn from the results!

Felix

#12 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:21 AM

The second day beginner...
<snip>

The third day beginner set up the 1.5b (Ultra light spars today, still on maximum reverse on JB pigtails) but managed to tangle the bottom bridle leg on one side with the end cap. Sod's law is that if something can go wrong - it will.

It is vital to check that all the caps and lines are set up correctly before attempting to fly the kite. A mental/visual check list is the way to go.

In the event that flying lines get tangled with wing tips walk/run quickly 'down wind' to 'ground' the kite! If you do not know the appropriate wind speed for the 'kit' that you are using do not attempt to use it.

If the kite has rotated many times it will be very difficult for a novice to control the kite in order to un-wrap the twists. Staking the handles 'properly' and walking to the kite is the safest way to proceed.

What fun!

Felix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users