Jim Dingsdale

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:06 PM

Anybody do this?
Have used lines as short as ten feet.
Like to take kite overhead, pull on top lines and catch kite on the way down.
Also when kite is in upright launch position, tug on top lines and kite should sail towards you to catch.
Have taped a coathanger on the end of a leading edge spars to pick up items .
Use lightweight items to pick up and move around.
Great fun.

#2 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:22 PM

also 360s are kind of fun and a bit more achieveable on short lines. Personally I use 25 or 35 feet lines, but I have seen someone manage the catch and toss on 80s!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#3 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:10 PM

Its good fun ok.Great for the reaction speeds also.After the short lines, i flew streight after on 200ft lines.You have time to make a cupa between moves :).Done a catch and throw with 80ft.Never tried further.I dont do tricks realy with a rev i sorta dont see the point to it.I get my Deep Space or Sea Devils out if i wana trick and flick.

On a slightly diffrent note,i flew my prog stack in a nice 8/10mph.The stack pulls like a train,but nice to fly.I then got my B std out,WAW,i could do anything with it.It felt like i have nothing on the lines,great way to fly.

BRIAN... :)

#4 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

I found that after getting to know how to fly a Rev where I fly at times required shorter lines so I have a few 50' sets and some shorter for quick lunchtime flying, The benefits to that have been the more I flew on shorter lined the more I learned how to control it.

Once you get back to 85's you vastly have improved because of the shorter response time then you go to 120's and it's holy crap I can try out for iQuad.

Flying on short lines for an extended period greatly has its benefits and I would suggest it to anyone that wants to hone their skills in the control and precision factor, cause hey if you can do it on shorts you'll be a master on longs :kid_smartass:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#5 Revkitedancer

Revkitedancer
  • Forum Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:58 AM

I keep short lines under 10 ft. and have to use them quite often. Often enough, I've actually become partial to them. I can't jump rope a rev and fly it out on long lines.. at least not yet.

Short lines are quicker, and people who pick up my kite have trouble controlling it. It takes practice.

Yes, people have used hooks and created demo's. David Brittan, (sp) Had a whole little olympic show.

There have been a few others too. They picked items up, made baskets, blew bubbles, painted and more.

But there are still lots of things to think up and try. that's why we love our Revs.

Hot Tricks last heat w/ Lam Hoac Video.

http://video.google....485866837776506

BB Penny

#6 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:02 AM

On could tape one of these on the LE:
http://www.massagela...ger-ml00052.asp
and offer the crowd a pleasing back massage without any of that rather embarrassing close contact with someone you don't know.

I reckon 10 for a half hour
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#7 Jim Dingsdale

Jim Dingsdale

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

I keep short lines under 10 ft. and have to use them quite often. Often enough, I've actually become partial to them. I can't jump rope a rev and fly it out on long lines.. at least not yet.

Short lines are quicker, and people who pick up my kite have trouble controlling it. It takes practice.

Yes, people have used hooks and created demo's. David Brittan, (sp) Had a whole little olympic show.

There have been a few others too. They picked items up, made baskets, blew bubbles, painted and more.

But there are still lots of things to think up and try. that's why we love our Revs.

Hot Tricks last heat w/ Lam Hoac Video.

http://video.google....485866837776506

BB Penny

Looks like a great way to lose weight.

#8 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:14 AM

BB Penny

Nice flying Penny !

and heres David... At World Cup 3 at Berkley Ca. 1994. He also did some very nice indoor flying in the Hotel, and its not true he didn't clip the little glass bits of the chandelier. Nope no way wasnt us mister....

Berkley_DB_Rev_2.jpg

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#9 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

I fly on short lines quite often. Indoors and out.

Every one of these videos have me flying with lines that are 30ft or less. ;)

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 Revkitedancer

Revkitedancer
  • Forum Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:24 PM

Nice flying Penny !

and heres David... At World Cup 3 at Berkley Ca. 1994. He also did some very nice indoor flying in the Hotel, and its not true he didn't clip the little glass bits of the chandelier. Nope no way wasnt us mister....

Berkley_DB_Rev_2.jpg

Wow Simon, I hasdn't seen that pic in a while. Hadn't heard what Davids up to in a couple of years too. He hurt our brains with so much information. :)

Jim, . yup.. indoor is great exercise, or just a little.. It depends on what you put into it. You don't have to work it that hard at all and long lines and slow flying is beautiful. It works like every muscle in your body.. except your stomach. lol

Spence! I was just reading your short line post from March of 07 asking how to fly an indoor kite. Wow.. Wonderful improvement. I'm so excited about being able to see you and Wen and hopefully other young people... and old.. at the Long Beach INdoor Fly. 16 more days till WSIKF!

John's reply to your post was, "Keep your hands closer together indoors" It brought back a memory of a Judge in Brookings who told me he gave me less points in the competition because Ron Despojado taught him how to fly a rev..and Ron said, "your hands are suppose to stay close together." hmmm. (Judges arer not suppose to watch your hands)

Keeping your hands close helps, but you'll grow past that. I just hope future judges keep in mind that people will have different styles and body language, and hand postion should not be judged.

Usually I tell people, "Later you will throw my lesson out the window and develop your own fly style." So people, do remember you will develop your own style, and you will do what ever it takes to make it fly how you want it too.

BB Penny ~ who wil be flying at PCKA's Kite and Bluegrass Festival this weekend in Orting, WA. Come on out if your in the neighborhood., Rev ON.

#11 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

John's reply to your post was, "Keep your hands closer together indoors" It brought back a memory of a Judge in Brookings who told me he gave me less points in the competition because Ron Despojado taught him how to fly a rev..and Ron said, "your hands are suppose to stay close together." hmmm. (Judges arer not suppose to watch your hands)

Keeping your hands close helps, but you'll grow past that. I just hope future judges keep in mind that people will have different styles and body language, and hand postion should not be judged.

I think it's useful for NEW indoor pilots to keep their hands together, but once a flier get the drift, the arms start moving and displaying more of your style. ;)

When did they have competition in Brookings?

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#12 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

i do enjoy short lines mostly for my solo flying .. i just got in from a nice night fly with a couple of dualies i have light kits for .. the winds were light so i started with 100 foot lines and ended with 40 footers .. a little walking and the lightshow went on .. ive yet to perfect a rev light kit .. but as of now i have the clip on LED lights for my dualies.. 50 foot lines are the best for both light winds and for an area that is really small .. like a beach where the tide is fully in and their is only 10 feet of sand to fly on..
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#13 Revkitedancer

Revkitedancer
  • Forum Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:34 AM

I think it's useful for NEW indoor pilots to keep their hands together, but once a flier get the drift, the arms start moving and displaying more of your style. ;)

When did they have competition in Brookings?

Awwww.. I see the error of my ways.. I had Brookings on my mind... with good reason... what a great event.

My bad.. I meant Berkley... Berkley....

Hey John,

Thank you for clarifying that. I know you didn't do it on purpose and can't help it if people think you guys are wind gods. lol

I competed in..let me go see what I can find. Well, I can only find 1996 and 2000. There should be a 2nd place somewhere, too. Steve, said yup, you took a 2nd place. There were a Dz. Rev flies and how exhausting for the judges!

It's been a while since I've been and I head it's more show now.
I think it sounds great with show and competition.

BB, Penny who will fly for Sharon Torres today who passed away in her sleep Thursday. Rev flier, Wild Buggy Angel and Camping Queen. We'll miss her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users