16 replies to this topic

#1 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:38 AM

I've seen a few of these in videos online and am curious. To me it looks like a controlled over control. Does that read right? Controlled over control... LOL
I would assume the more brake you have the better chance you have of learning this. Not a problem here. Just wanna make sure that if I'm going to learn something I have a good idea as to why I'm walking in shame. Although this seems like one of those that you probably shouldn't have to walk out to the kite if you have a failed attempt. Unlike the axle. :kid_brooding: Finally got the timing down on one of those and then failed repeatedly (probably a miles worth of walking on 50' lines) and spun a double off one pull and no further input. Then MORE walking. :kid_cussing: So I wanna have another trick to work on when I don't feel like walking and am taking a break from precision and grace.

Thanks
Dean

#2 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:27 AM

They are also much easier to do with a vented kite.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#3 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:55 AM

Long handles help too.

#4 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:48 AM

well, I have neither the vented or the long handles. LOL, any other suggestions?

Dean :sign_kitelife:

#5 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

well, I have neither the vented or the long handles. LOL, any other suggestions?

Dean :sign_kitelife:

Quad sticks, dont use them myself but have seen them used to good effect for this.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#6 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

flic flacs are not hard to pick up .. the best kite to do them with is the supersonic.. that thing does them clean and fast .. the 1.5 is a good kite for them too .. to do them you have to do a quick snap of the wrist with the bottom part of the handles practice it in a good wind they are eazier to do when the winds are blowing
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#7 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:33 PM

Here is my break down of the Flic-Flac.

This manouver works best with a vented kite, in wind conditions that are in the upper side of the kite's wind range. What you want to do is first, face the kite in one direction and hover (I find that inverted is easiest). Then, I wouldn't say snap your wrists, but sort of quickly point your thumbs forward and pull down away from the kite a bit. You just want to overcontroll it enough to flip in-side-out. As soon as the kite flics, bring your thumbs back to your forward flight position. If the wind is ideal, the kite should just flac on it's own. If the wind is light, you will need to give a bit of a pull.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:40 PM

Thats what I was looking for Watty, Thank you. I only have the Rev 1 but will keep trying. If I can occasionally pull the axle I'm sure I can overcontrol it. Guess when you think about it, anyone who has ever over controlled in vertical reverse and had the tips pointed strait at ya and the wind snap the sail back upright has flic flaked.

Dean :ani_punk:

#9 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:47 PM

It also helps if you have knotless endcaps Dean. Otherwise you will find that sometimes your lines get caught and then it is either a lot of very sharp tugs on one handle or the other to un-hook them, or (more likely) the walk of shame.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#10 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:43 PM

I'll have to keep that in mind Jeremy, thank you. Not sure how I'd go knotless on the end caps. Would that be like replacing the lower bungees with a...... how would I go knotless? My thought, I'd still have one knot.

Dean

#11 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:20 PM

there's a thread about it hereabouts. You bury the knot in the endcaps.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#12 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:47 AM

Found the article you were talking about Jeremy, thank you. That is something that will be done soon.

Dean

#13 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:18 AM

covers over the knots on the bottom of the kite prevent entanglement, or magic sticks as an option

long throws handles, or at least tons of "down" in your tuning

step towards the kite and powerfully flick your thumbs to practice, eventually much less "action" is necessary

It's easier to learn with the kite up-right

Speed series Revs do this trick almost effortlessly

once you get the hang of it try "quarter turn Flick-flaks" to really impress the witnesses

#14 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:42 AM

In my Cabo video it shows a clock-work flic-flac.

The way I learned to flic flac was to just ease the kite to over controll. Don't snap your thumbs forward, but just go in reverse harder and harder until it flics.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:28 PM

I apparently don't have enough throw in the handles or something. Right side up kinda works. I can get it to go flat, but not get it to pop back out like it's supposed to. On a side note though, I could get it to back spin kinda. On it's back, lower tips toward me lines on the inside of the V. A little thumb one way or the other causes the kite to barrel roll and then pop up and fly off. I can do a take off from the same position too. Got tired of walking out to right the Rev and learned how to flip it up and fly off.

My Rev 1 will take some work to figure this one out.

Dean

#16 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

With the Rev 1, I would suggest getting the extra long 15" handles or longer. This will allow you to actually flic the kite easier. Shorter handles just don't have enough throw to really get the Rev 1 to flic. It can be done but it takes a very sharp snap and a little work.

One of the main things that helped me with my flic-flac was to move my feet. :) When you get ready to do your flic, snap your wrists firmly and at the exact same time, take a good sized step towards the kite. What this will do is give your top lines enough sudden slack that the wing tips can flip over. Without stepping forward the kite will kinda flip up horizontal like and then either snap back down or just plain go wacko.

Think of it like trying to do a flic flac on a dually without giving any slack. :)

#17 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

I really feel stupid now. :kid_devlish: I trick duallies so not stepping forward could be the problem other than too short of handles.

Dean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users