51 replies to this topic

#41 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:53 PM

Hello Pete,get over to Bolton le sands if ya can.I will let ya try a spare rev.Im sure i have a spare.

BRIAN...

#42 FlyingFrog

FlyingFrog
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:12 AM

Hello Pete,get over to Bolton le sands if ya can.I will let ya try a spare rev.Im sure i have a spare.

BRIAN...

Hi Bri, I have a new 1.5 SLE on order which I hope will arrive mid-week. Is it the BLS meet this week-end please

#43 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

Sure is Pete.

BRIAN...

#44 FlyingFrog

FlyingFrog
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:22 AM

Sure is Pete.

BRIAN...

Hi Bri, I will try to get there but we have a bit of a "Family Crisis" going on at the moment so I'm not sure if it will be possible as I might have to travel down to Bristol at very short notice. Thanks for the invite and the offer of help!

#45 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:26 AM

. . . . . .
I might have to travel down to Bristol at very short notice. . . .

If you have family in Bristol, any chance we will see you there an the end of the month?

If you do manage it and you see a short fat middle aged bloke with a Rev and a limp, please come over and say "Hi".
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#46 FlyingFrog

FlyingFrog
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:04 AM

If you have family in Bristol, any chance we will see you there an the end of the month?

If you do manage it and you see a short fat middle aged bloke with a Rev and a limp, please come over and say "Hi".

Hi Bob, Thanks for the offer but due to the nature of the "Crisis" I don't think that it would be advisable as I might not be very good company. Hopefully another time.

#47 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:54 AM

Point taken. There's no such thing as a good crises is there.

I will be thinking of you.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#48 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:49 AM

I would read the post of Fortflyer again. I read it as the RR are not as noodley,but snap back much quicker,which is a great discription i think.
Race rods are stronger than a 3 wrap and liter than a 2 wrap.The spring back is the big thing on them.Ther worth the money once you get them working.

Have a good Holiday btw :blue_wink:

BRIAN...

No, I haven't been on vacation during all of August ... just cogitating on the entire thread before getting back into the discussion. First let me tell you that I bought an SUL kite and a RR frame set ... used to get in trouble as a kid 'cuz I had to try stuff for myself ... looks like that hasn't changed. The kite and RR set arrived yesterday along with an all day rain ... damn. I've now got all of the variables covered except experience ... will be working on that.

However, I really changed my mind on the equipment thought process last Saturday during the IKE club fly. It was a perfect day for practicing light wind flying ... about two or three mile per hour winds gusting to zero. When the winds would start to disappear, I would end up slowly sink to the ground in frustration ... after a little more drop in the wind the more experienced members would join me on the ground. But it seemed like no matter how light the winds would get Papa Smurf from iQuad would be flying like he was standing in the only breeze in Illinois. And yes, he could do it with my kite also.

My conclusion from a month of thinking and a hour of watching Papa Smurf is that equipment will help, but technique is the over riding difference. It's either that or magic!

#49 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

Smurfs are rumored to have magical powers :kid_brooding:

Yes you are correct technique plays the biggest part but the right equipment does make it much easier, SUL with RR's your going to love that set up for under 10 mph.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#50 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

Think you have hit the nail on the head. What all the "pro" fliers hve is a bit of magic in thier fingers.

And a lot of the semi pro, and yet to become semi folks too of course.

Sadly, my fingers lack magic. I am told however all is not lost.

Practice, practice, practice. Then when it all comes together just practice some more.

#51 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:16 AM

Think you have hit the nail on the head. What all the "pro" fliers hve is a bit of magic in thier fingers.

And a lot of the semi pro, and yet to become semi folks too of course.

Sadly, my fingers lack magic. I am told however all is not lost.

Practice, practice, practice. Then when it all comes together just practice some more.

Try flying with your 'finger tips' (and thumb tips of course); that is possibly where the 'magic' lies! <grins> No gripping the handles here.

I am sure that it will not be an easy transition but in conjunction with long arms and smooth movement on the ground all will be revealed. Not something to be learned in an afternoon, of course.

The 180 degree upward turn can, with a long arm pull, inject a height gain that can be used in zero wind conditions to gain ground advantage. I have mentioned getting the kite to the top of the window and then facing down with maximum reverse and moving forwards as fast as is sustainable. This is another way of gaining ground advantage.

In low winds the effective air movement may actually be upwards and so the best place to 'fly' may be at the top of the wind window where you may have the opportunity to 'ride the thermal' just like the seagulls do.... Circle around and 'sense the pull'. The critical thing is to keep the sail 'fully inflated' at all times.

The SUL frames in the REV I kites flex too much IMHO and I would usually use a standard centre with Ultra Light ends and verticals. I look forward to trying the Race Rods in the Rev I. Weight and 'gravity' may also assist so I have an open mind.

Felix

#52 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

Or you could just move to the UK and forget all about light wind flying :angry:

Sorry non productive comment I know ... Dont know anybody else but I'm getting so grumpy with this weather...

Anyway back on topic ...... what Felix said ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users