10 replies to this topic

#1 steve_hobart

steve_hobart
  • Forum Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

Hi all,

My post today is for two reasons.

1) To thank everyone for all of your advice a little while ago when I purchased my first Rev and had some basic questions. I had all of your responses printed out in my bag when flying and the assistance was invaluable and well appreciated. Thanks!!. I am really enjoying my Revs (and still also enjoying my dual lines....oops :-((...:-)

(Since my initial post, my Rev bag now contains a 1.5 SLE, Blast, Supersonic and Indoor.)

2) Another question. As much as I love the SLE frame on my 1.5 in higher winds - I have not really been happy with its low wind performance with my level of skill. So I purchased a SUL frame and use that in the 1.5 sail. I am VERY happy with the way it works - the low wind performance is now excellent. I normally swap frames around 8-10 mph.

I am wondering what the low wind performance of a 1.5 SUL (with proper SUL sail) would be compared to what I have (standard sail with SUL frame).? Does the 1.5 SUL have a significantly lighter sail?

cheers

steve

#2 kite.flyer

kite.flyer
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

Steve,

There are only minor differences between the 1.5 standard and SUL sail. One is the weight of the bridle (high tech bridle line vs spectra) and the other is perhaps the weight of the leading edge (3.9 dacron vs 1.5 dacron). I have a 1.5 SLE (standard) sail and I keep a set of both 1/4" SUL (Professional Use) sticks and the 1/4" standard (Ultra Light) sticks. The only Rev with SLE rods is my vented. I use the spare SLE rods as tomato stakes. I like the performance of the Rev with the smaller diameter sticks.

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:13 PM

There is one more difference between the SUL and the SLE. The SLE has two mylar panels. The SUL has none. Mylar is a heavier more durable material then the rip stop nylon on the rest of the sail.

There is a noticible difference in my opinion, but if you already have an SLE, you don't need the SUL sail. A set of race rods make all the difference in the world ;)

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Guest_QuadQrazy_*

Guest_QuadQrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

Spence is correct the RACE RODS Rock. I own a standard 1.5 SLE, and I use the race rods for lighter wind, and these rods give you strength while keeping the spars weight down.

I have also found that useing 90# line keeps drag down, and in heavy wind I switch to 150# line.

#5 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

I use the spare SLE rods as tomato stakes.

LOL! I've been trying to think of something useful to do with all the SLE sticks I seem to have accumulated but replaced with 1/4 inch sticks. Looks like l am going to have the most technical plant stakes in the village!

50 lb line is even better than 90 ;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#6 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:11 PM

An SLE sail and bridle weigh not quite an ounce more than an SUL sail and bridle.
The difference is only noticeable at the very bottom end of the wind range.
Using lighter lines and an efficient light wind technique/skill set will go a very long ways towards keeping a regular sail Rev flying in light winds.

#7 steve_hobart

steve_hobart
  • Forum Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:26 AM

thanks everyone. Looks like I am on the right track with Rod choice.

Now I have to concentrate on technique - that might take a little longer than the time to replace the frame!!

Interestingly my SLE sail does not have any mylar (it is the red and black 2007 version). Perhaps later SLE models had the mylar or my sail is older than I think?

Actually I am happy without the mylar as the sail remains very light and seems to cope well with a wide wind range (I've had it up towards 18-20 mph with the SLE frame and down to around 2-3 mph with the SUL frame).

Now my Blast - that NEEDS mylar with the amount of pressure in the sail !

cheers

steve

#8 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:06 AM

Mylar has its problems, besides being heavy. After a certain amount of UV exposure and use, it can disintegrate:
mylar_damage.jpg

I replaced the failed Mylar with Texlon Polyester and the kite is flying again. :)
willows_rev.jpg

#9 mcruzzer

mcruzzer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:45 AM

There is one more difference between the SUL and the SLE. The SLE has two mylar panels. The SUL has none. Mylar is a heavier more durable material then the rip stop nylon on the rest of the sail.

There is a noticible difference in my opinion, but if you already have an SLE, you don't need the SUL sail. A set of race rods make all the difference in the world ;)

The Rev 1.5M series had mylar on it. Those haven't been made for a couple of years now. All Rev 1.5 models now are made without mylar.

Current Rev I models have mylar standard but you can order them without the mylar if you'd like.

Jim
Jim Hodges

#10 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:54 AM

There is one more difference between the SUL and the SLE. The SLE has two mylar panels.

Spence, unless he has an older model, the 1.5 has no mylar in it now.

See you in 3 weeks!

#11 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:42 AM

Spence, unless he has an older model, the 1.5 has no mylar in it now.

See you in 3 weeks!

I have an older 1.5 and an older 1.5 vent. (vent is only around 2 or 3 years old) both have the mylar. I also have newer 1.5 and 1.5 vet. Each of those do not have the mylar. Not that much difference in them other than looks. I have found that if I want a vented I take out which ever is one I come to first in the bag. The older non vent is in bad shape and rarely sees action now. The screen along the leading edge is much the worse for ware. The mylar held up fine.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users