• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Marko_M

Marko_M
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hi everyone-
I am new REv flyer, just bought my lime/black B-Series this past weekend and flew with some of the folks
at Liberty State Stunt Kite Comp on SUnday. Scottie was teally helpful in teaching me the basics. So my
problem is today while flying my bottom left line snapped about 5-6 inches from the leader on the bridle
side. What can I do to fix it? Or do I need to buy a new line??? I'm a noob so please excuse if this is a
really basic question. Of course the wind got better after the snap mind you... :kid_cussing:

I've atatached a photo of line...

Thanks,
Marko M.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF6179.jpg
  • DSCF6181.jpg

#2 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:59 PM

Probably easiest to go back to your local kite store and have them shorten the other 3 lines. Doing it yourself isn't hard, but if you've never done it, it could be a little frustrating.
After looking at the picture on the right though it looks like some of the line is sticking out of the sleeving. That may save the day if the other 3 lines are the same. Where the blue of the line goes into the sleeving, the little end right above it. Is that in fact a piece of the original line?

Dean

#3 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

Where the white arrow is, is what I'm questioning.

Dean

#4 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

Hi Marko, no big problem. you should be able to sort it out. All you have to do is trim all the lines down to the hortest one.

You need to undo the knots in one end of the trhee lines an undo the knots in the bit that is broken. Carefully slide the, goodness mind just gone blank. The bits of tube stuff back down the lines. Try to make a note of how the knots are tied.

You need to find something like some piano wite or a guitar string that you can use to slide the leader, (that is the tube bit you have taken off the broken bit) onto. you need to fold the wire in half. Then you will find you can slide the tube bit back onto the line that was broken.

Once you have got that far it is reasonably simple to tie them all off to the same length. remember to stretch the lines a bit, and equaly of course. you might have noticed the post about line equalisers.

It is a fiddley job the first time you try it. I still find it a fiddle and I have made a few line sets now. You will find it best if you stake one end of the lines down securely with a single stake through all of them.

I am sure I have not explained it well and wish you luck. There are a couple of threads on her about line equalising and making.

I would think that your lines might not be of high quality. I have never had any break on me although it is not unheard of. You can bet I will break one next time out now. If you go for another set try to find Laser Pro Gold or similar. Once again there have been discussions on here about it.

Theresa at Thekiteshopp should be able to help you out. Or any number of other shops around. Have a look on the Kitelife web site. Lots of shops, would be happy to reccomend any of them.

#5 Marko_M

Marko_M
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

Probably easiest to go back to your local kite store and have them shorten the other 3 lines. Doing it yourself isn't hard, but if you've never done it, it could be a little frustrating.
After looking at the picture on the right though it looks like some of the line is sticking out of the sleeving. That may save the day if the other 3 lines are the same. Where the blue of the line goes into the sleeving, the little end right above it. Is that in fact a piece of the original line?

Dean

Problem is there isn't a local kite shop near me, I'm in Hoboken, NJ (any other Rev Flyers in the area???). From what your saying I gather I would untie the knots in the leaders, re-thread the cut line through its leader that snapped, then equal the line lengths to the cut line length, tie the knots back into the leaders and then I'd be back in business. Does that sound right???

also are the thicker white parts of the line that you larks-head onto the bridles and the handles called leaders?

Thanks...

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:18 PM

Oh I forgot to mention, you may need to snip a bit of the end of the lines to free them from the leaders as they are often heated to seal the ends.

Also once you have completed the task seal the ends carefully with a lighter to stop them fraying.

#7 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:24 PM

Yep you got it right about the leaders. At least that is what my stupid old brain is calling tham at the moment. Anyway I know what I am on about.

If you choose to have a go at it it can be a pesky job. you need to be able to stake out the full length otf the line. Ideally you should be looking for all lines exactly equal. In reality if the difference between the longest and shortest is half an inch you probably wont notice the difference.

#8 Marko_M

Marko_M
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:25 PM

Oh I forgot to mention, you may need to snip a bit of the end of the lines to free them from the leaders as they are often heated to seal the ends.

Also once you have completed the task seal the ends carefully with a lighter to stop them fraying.

I just checked and the line set is a Laser Pro set... I am going out to try and fix them now...
I will post my success or demise. I think I can do this!!!

#9 Guest_QuadQrazy_*

Guest_QuadQrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:29 PM

You could re-sleeve the line, but you would have to re-adjust the other three lines to match your new line.

This process can be used to shorten a existing set of flying lines, equalise a set of lines that came with stitched ends, or repairing a set of lines. The start of the process is to stake out one end of the lines and cut the other end of lines to the same length, removing the old sleeved section.

1/ Start with the shortest line and slide one length of sleeveing onto the "fid" (very thin wire loop - Piano wire or Guitar string)

2a/ The looped end of the fid should appear from the end of the sleeveing. There are two options, I prefer this way
Posted Image

2b/ However some people prefer going through the side, so the hardened end does not wear the line.
Posted Image
3/ Insert the line through the loop of the Fid so the minimim pokes through.

4/ Push the sleeveing onto the line. It helps to "fluff up" the end of the line, and rotate the sleeveing while pushing
Posted Image
5/ Once the sleeving is on the line, pull the fid out of the end of the sleeving so a few cm of line protrude from the sleeving
Posted Image
6/ Tie a simple overhand knot near the end of the sleeving. Pull the knot tight
Posted Image
7/ Hold the knot then "walk" the sleeving up the line, using a milking action. Its important the sleeving is tight
Posted Image
8/ Repeat for the second (third and forth) lines. Pulling the lines tight ensure the end of the sleeve on the next line is level with the first. This is the easiest way to equal lines and relies on equal sleeves.
Posted Image
9/ Double the taut sleeve back double, so the ends of the sleeving are together. Form a flat loop for the double sleeve
10/ Tie a simple overhand knot, take care to ensure there are no twists in the knot
Posted Image
11/ One line tied, repeat for all other lines. Because the untied ends of the sleeving were equal, assuming you tie accurately the lines will be equal length.
12/ Use a flame to seal the tails of the lines
13/ Job done, a tidy knot that wont let you down.
Posted Image

#10 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

I am surprised that a LPG set failed so soon. There may be a fault with that bit of line. I suggest you inspect all the lines for problem areas.

Anyway if you try to get a new set sorted out from wherever you got it from it might take a while.

I am with you on trying to adjust the set. You will only loose a small amount of line.

Also you will have to learn how to do it some time. might as well be now.

I normaly try to do my line maintainance on no wind days. And although as I said I have not had a problem I always have half a dozen varying line sets with me so never have to give up on a good flying day.

Now you have started with Rev I am sure it will not be long B4 you are sending off for another.

You need at least a solid, vented and mid vent B.
Standard and vented Sedgwick Rev 1
Solid and vented Rev 2
Ditto Supersonic
Blast
Couple of customs, and the list go's on.

#11 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:45 PM

Well done QuadQrazy, pictures often say it better.

#12 Guest_QuadQrazy_*

Guest_QuadQrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

Well done QuadQrazy, pictures often say it better.

I do what I can, and try to help. :sign_kitelife:

#13 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:51 PM

Problem is there isn't a local kite shop near me, I'm in Hoboken, NJ (any other Rev Flyers in the area???). From what your saying I gather I would untie the knots in the leaders, re-thread the cut line through its leader that snapped, then equal the line lengths to the cut line length, tie the knots back into the leaders and then I'd be back in business. Does that sound right???

also are the thicker white parts of the line that you larks-head onto the bridles and the handles called leaders?

Thanks...

The thicker white parts around the line itself that you larks head onto the handles and bridle is called sleeving. The leaders are what you larks head your lines to on the handles.

If you can, untie the knots on one of the good lines and see if you can slide the sleeving down the line. If you can then this might get easier yet. If the end is melted together use a razor blade and CARFULLY try to cut just below that little nub being careful not to cut the line inside the sleeving.
For the broke line do the same to the sleeving being careful not to pull the line out of the sleeving. Just get it to where the sleeving will move. Then try tying a small knot on the end of the two broke pieces and I'm sure it'll take some patients but you should be able to get that piece of sleeving down onto the good part of the line.

Once you get the sleeving down the line then all you do is stretch out the lines. Make sure the sleeving is about a foot from the end of the shortest line on all four. With the lines side by side keep them even and put a wrap around a finger bringing the lines tight. Pull with your free hand, one of the pieces of sleeving up to your finger. With a sharpee or something lightly mark all four lines. Make sure all four lines are tensioned evenly around your finger. Slide the piece of sleeving back down the line and stop for a minute or 5.

Now when your ready to start folding and tying you pull the sleeving up the line till you can just see that mark you made on the lines side of the sleeving. If you look at your pictures you'll see theres a knot just above where your new mark will be. Tie that knot first. Make sure you keep the end of the sleeving on that mark. That knot will make sure your sleeving doesn't move up or down when you start pulling the sleeving up and smooth and you start tying the final knot or knots.
After you get those four knots made then your ready to fold and tie the last knots.

If your four starter knots are pretty even on all four lines then fold the sleeving down to where the end of the sleeving on the end is just slightly past your first knot. Lightly tie a tight but workable if need be knot just above your first knot.

Hold your lines through all four loops to make sure they are all fairly even (adjust as needed) then pull those knots tight. Put the loops on a screw driver or something and lightly stretch the lines to tighten the knots and even the lines. Then tie a second knot about an inch toward the end of the loop side, again tight but workable. Follow the same stretch/sintching as the last knot giving a little more of a stretch and you should be done.

Dean

#14 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:53 PM

Guess that took longer to type out than I thought it would LOL

Dean

#15 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hi Marko...
Welcome to the family. The replies have got you covered on the repair. I would call the place where you purchased the lines and let them know what happened. I don't think it was that windy today... I could be wrong. Give the store the opportunity to examine the problem.
Also, I know this belongs in "Upcoming Events"...but, a bunch of us are getting together this weekend in Wildwood (in case you didn't catch the post). A few of us will be there Saturday only; most for both days. If you're interested, come on down and join in...they're a great bunch; eager to teach and help whenever possible. Lots of laughs...
Good luck with the lines.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#16 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

Just to let you know sometimes it doesn't take much to break a line just a little tear in the fibers from a branch something on the ground or even getting caught up in another kite is all it takes sometimes.

I've broken brand new 90# and 200# not knowing why but always seemed to trace back to oh yeah getting snagged up in that flick flack and trying to flip it loose may have done it or something to that nature.

usually when they are that close to the end something happened to cause the weak point abrasion of some sort, team flying will do this as well if you lock up kites allot.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#17 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:37 PM

You will need a tool to thread the line down the sleeve. On the pictures you will see it is a special threading needle. But you can also use a thin steel guitar string folded in half to form a loop. Thread the guitar string down the leader, loop first. When it pokes out the end of the sleeve put your kite line through the loop and pull it back through.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#18 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:42 PM

Just to let you know sometimes it doesn't take much to break a line just a little tear in the fibers from a branch something on the ground or even getting caught up in another kite is all it takes sometimes.

I've broken brand new 90# and 200# not knowing why but always seemed to trace back to oh yeah getting snagged up in that flick flack and trying to flip it loose may have done it or something to that nature.

usually when they are that close to the end something happened to cause the weak point abrasion of some sort, team flying will do this as well if you lock up kites allot.

Thanks for the info... good to know.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#19 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:47 AM

Exactly what happened to me Sunday team flying at LSP. Bottom left cut near the sleeve approx 6" back.
Sucked than.
Got new 120s immediately and will now use the others as cut downs.

Marko,,,,,,,come to Wildwood! Laura is correct. You'll have a blast with a great group of people.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#20 Marko_M

Marko_M
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:47 AM

Exactly what happened to me Sunday team flying at LSP. Bottom left cut near the sleeve approx 6" back.
Sucked than.
Got new 120s immediately and will now use the others as cut downs.

Marko,,,,,,,come to Wildwood! Laura is correct. You'll have a blast with a great group of people.

Thanks Everyone for all the great advice and instruction... I went out to the park, stretched out the lines, measured, cut, re-sleeved, knotted, checked lengths again, set up and flew
for about 10 mins till the wind died... The Rev responded well (for my noob control that is), so I think I got it!!! I am thinking about trying to get to Wildwood this weekend, but I am sure I will be at Asbury Park on sunday the 3rd... Does anyone have any experience with A Wind of Change or Wind Power Sports in Vegas? I am headed out there next week and
thought I'd stop in to see the locals... Thanks again everyone for all the help and invites , QuadQrazy and Dean you guys rocked the details...

Marko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users