33 replies to this topic

#21 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:12 AM

And we so have to have a go at a toss and catch of a stack, well toss maybe...... Over to you Jonesey.

Back in '92-'93, I used to catch and throw a progressive stack of Rev I and II (this was before the 1.5 was introduced). The throw was pretty easy -- just stack up the kites with the II pushed to the edge of the I and do a normal toss. The catch was a lot trickier, but definitely possible with two kites. I'm not sure I would have tried catching 3, though.

#22 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:46 AM

Back in '92-'93, I used to catch and throw a progressive stack of Rev I and II (this was before the 1.5 was introduced). The throw was pretty easy -- just stack up the kites with the II pushed to the edge of the I and do a normal toss. The catch was a lot trickier, but definitely possible with two kites. I'm not sure I would have tried catching 3, though.

That would be worth seeing..... what length lines?

#23 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

That would be worth seeing..... what length lines?

I learned to catch/throw a Rev I in mid-91 on 100' lines, 'cuz that's pretty much what you flew on in that era.

But by sometime in '92 I was generally flying 30' to 60' lines. I referenced catching/throwing a progressive stack in a rec.kites post I made in September of '92 about how to fly 3-D.

#24 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

Looks pretty, but how does it pull and what winds? Low and high wind.
Maybe I'll try and talk Ben into a progressive stack like yours when I can afford it.

Dean

#25 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

Looks pretty, but how does it pull and what winds? Low and high wind.
Maybe I'll try and talk Ben into a progressive stack like yours when I can afford it.

Dean

have only had one flight on short lines and in low winds so far but fingers crossed I will get a chance tomorrow PM (bit windy tonight)... pretty sure it will pull like a truck if all 3 kites 'locks in' .. got a little feel for it on my first flight and was surprised how well it responded ... power was definitely 'available' but controllable just like the individual kites..... all kites now have pigtails and have made new stacking lines so can rig up 'relatively' quick going to use my 200lb lines and PB handles and hope for about 8-10 knots .... stay tuned!

#26 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:50 PM

OK ... had a chance to fly the full set up tonight ... video and Pics up on my site ...

Wind was a lot lighter then it looks in the video and for the first half I was pretty much walking backwards then floating between 'takes'... breeze clocked 180 later and maxed out at about 8 knots (perfect) .... Sorry Video is too long and too big really but its late and I didn't have time to re-encode so be patient or download it!

The blast is a little 'noisy' when the stack loads up but I think this is more to do with the sail being a little 'tired', but might try longer stacking lines or a bit more brake on it ..... Very happy with how it fly's so far ... might have to get some custom sails made!!

(Cant believe I used a Genesis backing track...flame away :blushing: )

#27 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

Your a madman I love it, when you say you're putting a supersonic on the front are you adding or replacing the shockwave?

I think you would be better off with the sonic rather then the shockwave up front just for controllability.

I did a speed stack some time ago with the Sonic, Shockwave and Blast that in itself was great I'm not sure I would chance the PB 2-4 as my normal winds here are 12-15mph course that would make tying my shoes easier I may have to rethink that.

Great Job looking fwd to seeing your next test.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#28 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:15 PM

I have a standard and vented sonic...... Just wondered whether the vented would help a little (also its Gold/black whilst standard is purple!)... the Shockwave seems fine much to my surprise ... so was going to add the sonic for a quick laugh and then drop the 2.4 in more breeze.

#29 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:21 AM

Like it Jonesey, you crazy fool.

Also like the advice from your helper, it think it went "Go on then" not sure what you were supposed to do then, you obviously must have :D

Didnt notice the Axel though :devil:

And I recon the music suited well.

Glad to see you had some ballast available in case things got out of hand.

#30 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:49 AM

Didnt notice the Axel though :devil:

Thats what the Go on then was.... woosed out on that one! :lol:

#31 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:12 AM

thanks for posting and sharing Jonesey.
1 of the 47.

#32 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

After installing Quick Time and waiting for the download I'd say the wait was worth it. Good job. I never realized how many stacklines that stack has. That must have been a heated dog to get'em all right. I did notice in a couple of turns that a few of the lines had a little slack on them. Maybe I was just cross eyed when I thought I saw what I was thinking I saw. :kid_devlish:
Great job, hope you get some more video. Wonder what 15 or more mph wind would be like? :devil: The kids were such good helpers you could figure out how to rig'em to ya for counter weight. LOL

Dean

#33 Smeagol

Smeagol
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

Sorry to dredge up an older thread, but this got me thinking. I'm curious to try this with my SuperSonic, Blast and Super Blast.. or maybe even the SS, 2x Blast, and SB, although that might be a little crazy.

Was anything upgraded on the first kite (bridle, LE, etc.) to handle the additional stress? I'd be afraid the SS would break apart using the stock parts under that much load.

Anyone else tried this?

Edited by Smeagol, 05 June 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#34 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

Sorry to dredge up an older thread, but this got me thinking. I'm curious to try this with my SuperSonic, Blast and Super Blast.. or maybe even the SS, 2x Blast, and SB, although that might be a little crazy.

Was anything upgraded on the first kite (bridle, LE, etc.) to handle the additional stress? I'd be afraid the SS would break apart using the stock parts under that much load.

Anyone else tried this?

Dont think anyone else is dumb enough :) ....... No I didnt upgrade any of the bridles etc .. plus of course I only ever flew it in under 10 knots of breeze. Because of the different flying characteristics of the kites you have to 'bias' the stacking lines towards the 2~4 to 'lock' it in and as a result the front kite(s) tend to be relatively lightly loaded. It was great fun as an experiment but I never progressed it any further. Have a look at Antmans posts about stacking blasts, he's our local expert on the subject and post some pics if you give it a go..

Cheers Jonesey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users