Photo

Rev Newbishness

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:21 PM

Hello and welcome to the family.
Here's a few suggestions to help you along. Practice... Practice... Practice... Just as important is to "Own Your Hover" to quote "The Man" (JB). Control is key to anything you do. If you start getting out of control, go back to a hover and regroup. The slower you can control any move you do, the more in contol you actually are.
Sounds like you're on the right path, good luck.
Finally, I have found that reading this forum over and over has helped tie things together; imho. :kid_content:
Have fun!! :kid_devlish:
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#22 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

By Own Your Hoverô I assume you must mean something like "learn to keep the kite in a static hover position facing up, down, left, right, etc.," because that, frankly, seems like a rather hard thing to do! When I initially (after a dozen crashes or more) gained the beginnings of control over the kite, I realized that hovering (especially reverse hovering) took more fine control than anything else I was able to do. I could only hold a hover whilst upside-down for a few seconds; the kite seemed to want to flip back over. It seemed to want a much finer degree of control that I'm currently capable of to keep it in line. So I imagine if I could get the inverted hover down pat, I could do just about anything there is to do with this kite before long.

I just think that's going to take me a LONG time. But it will be fun! :rev_clockwork:
kairusan

#23 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:04 AM

By Own Your Hoverô I assume you must mean something like "learn to keep the kite in a static hover position facing up, down, left, right, etc.," because that, frankly, seems like a rather hard thing to do! When I initially (after a dozen crashes or more) gained the beginnings of control over the kite, I realized that hovering (especially reverse hovering) took more fine control than anything else I was able to do. I could only hold a hover whilst upside-down for a few seconds; the kite seemed to want to flip back over. It seemed to want a much finer degree of control that I'm currently capable of to keep it in line. So I imagine if I could get the inverted hover down pat, I could do just about anything there is to do with this kite before long.

I just think that's going to take me a LONG time. But it will be fun! :rev_clockwork:

Humblingly speaking here..........owning thy hover to me, is more all about finding the proper balance of the handles in your hands. When you find the point of center between forward and reverse in your hands/handles you will have found how to "own thy hover" And oh what a beautiful thing that is!!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#24 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:11 AM

Not just beautiful, although that is true, it is also the basis of performing almost every other move with skill and control. For example nyone can spin the kite fast, but a true master will spin it exactly around the 'V' in the centre of the sail very, very slowly. Without a mastery of the hover, this would not be possible to learn.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#25 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:43 AM

that "control" begins with a light, delicate grip that remains comfortable all day long. Tuning the leaders is how to arrive at this place. It is a wonderful experience for old and new fliers. I have friends that immediately adjust my set-up to their preferences. (one of the joys of flying with a group of people regularly, is having knots in place just for them!) Then we get to jump around and fly OPKs. Each of us sets up a single kite and every few minutes we jump to a new experience. Somebody is flying mini's, somebody else has a progressive stack, somebody has made a new sail or changed something and everyone wants a turn to compare it's effect.

I'm very lucky to live in an area where we can get together without a huge hassle for anyone. We try to move the flying locations around the DC area so more folks can join in. Each location has unique advantages, maybe it's a fantastic spot for spectators, but parking is an outrageous hassle. Maybe we can take over the whole field, but nobody's there to witness our activities. Which would you prefer?

I'd fly over a concrete and broken glass filled parking lot to get spectators, go ahead stick me in between the trees and power lines. It's a lot more fun to have people watching. Heck, that's how I got involved in the first place! REVs rule!

#26 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

that "control" begins with a light, delicate grip that remains comfortable all day long. Tuning the leaders is how to arrive at this place. It is a wonderful experience for old and new fliers. I have friends that immediately adjust my set-up to their preferences. (one of the joys of flying with a group of people regularly, is having knots in place just for them!) Then we get to jump around and fly OPKs. Each of us sets up a single kite and every few minutes we jump to a new experience. Somebody is flying mini's, somebody else has a progressive stack, somebody has made a new sail or changed something and everyone wants a turn to compare it's effect.

I'm very lucky to live in an area where we can get together without a huge hassle for anyone. We try to move the flying locations around the DC area so more folks can join in. Each location has unique advantages, maybe it's a fantastic spot for spectators, but parking is an outrageous hassle. Maybe we can take over the whole field, but nobody's there to witness our activities. Which would you prefer?

I'd fly over a concrete and broken glass filled parking lot to get spectators, go ahead stick me in between the trees and power lines. It's a lot more fun to have people watching. Heck, that's how I got involved in the first place! REVs rule!

Paul,
You are soooo right! :rockon:
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users