62 replies to this topic

#21 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:03 AM

A couple of stills from Dunstable. The grid team (you know who you are!) and the mega-fly Mexican Wave.

rf_grid.JPG
rf_mf_mwave.JPG

Next challenge - how to get mega fly photos with all the kites, but *not* looking like small dots in the sky! :confused!:
Andy

#22 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

A couple of stills from Dunstable. The mega-fly Mexican Wave.

Great pics Andy :)
Good to meet you and yours yesterday too.

It was magnificient to at least try the mexican wave ;)
1 of the 47.

#23 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:41 AM

different formation this time part one above
part two below

enjoy
now to start work on the force 9 and flying squad one's
Tight Lines
Jade

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/

#24 Ant-

Ant-

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:57 AM

Some lovely pictures going up here!

Here's my contribution

http://www.antsnest....ex.php?album=67

Ant

#25 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:19 PM

Here's my contribution
Ant

Fabulous work Ant, such a shame you missed the whole event.
:clap;
1 of the 47.

#26 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:39 PM

Force Nine vid
Well done you three

Tight Lines
Jade

#27 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

It was fun .......but holding at the top don't half make ya neck ache......well done everybody involved in the mega team ..... that big ball (potato) lol :lol: :lol: :P

Heh.

When did you last fly a 'high aspect kite'? The whole point was releasing tension in the neck muscles by 'looking up'...

Well done anyway...

Best wishes

Felix

#28 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

Pictures 20, 21 and 22 are of Jay (Jade), Choccy and Groz,
I don't know where Sailor99 was, maybe getting some much deserved lunch (Clanger) :)
You can see our hands clearly in #20.

Megateam, from the left (viewed from behind):
Sailor99, Choccy, Groz..... Ian, ? , woody, David E. ....not sure of the order after that... over to someone else to fill in the blanks.
On the far right was Felix.

PS the wind was very gusty and bumpy all day. by the end of the day I was totally exhausted, arms and neck aching.
worth it though :D

OK Mega team on Roy Reeds pictures left to Right.

Sailor, Choccy, Groz, Ian (TFS), Geoff (TFS), Woody (TFS), Dave Ellison, "G", Susan (TFS), Gary T (TFS),, Jay, Stephen (TFS), Simon (TFS), Bob, Hezz (TFS), Gary M (TFS), Steve (TFS), Felix (Decs).

And we did it all for Bomber Harris !!

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#29 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

Nice pics ant! And thanks for the vid jade.

PM received and understood Felix. Thank you
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#30 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:59 PM

Thanks for all the pics and and particularly the videos jay.

The start of the part two video showing the fliers in the "grid" highlights the different styles we all (unconsciously?) have of holding the handles - some high and close to the chest, some much lower, away from the body and some to the side. Seeing that has made me want to experiment with the habit I've adopted in order to take more tension out of my neck and shoulders.

They also show just how bumpy that wind was!

#31 stevepigeon

stevepigeon

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:26 AM

Thanks for the pictures!! Good job in those huge winds...
Steve & Sherri

#32 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:48 AM

I forgot to mention during the mega team fly...
we couldn't hear the commands all the way down our end at all!!!

Stephen you need to get a megaphone in time for Portsmouth mate! :lol:
not a chance if 18 can't hear you... let alone 40+
1 of the 47.

#33 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:54 AM

commands

I was hoping to explain away my fluffs with "I was only acting under Stephen's orders" but, as we couldn't hear said orders, I will just have to take responsibility for my own errors - wow, that'll be a change.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#34 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:43 AM

I was hoping to explain away my fluffs with "I was only acting under Stephen's orders" but, as we couldn't hear said orders, I will just have to take responsibility for my own errors - wow, that'll be a change.

I was on Stephens right and relayed the orders down to the flyers to my right, this is a habit we have picked up in The Flying Squad, due to our size. Its true we are HUGE !!!

Hopefully the winds will be less at Portsmouth & just as bumpy at Bristol :)

So we should be able to hear better, anyone in the "BIG SHOW" will need to consider Stephens habit of BiLingual calls.

Or we get a radio mike like Close Encounters???

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#35 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

One solution* might be to have the caller on a radio mic linked to the PA system.

On a mega team this size it is difficult enough to hear the caller even without background music on the PA, especially when certain PA commentators feel the need to 'talk over the top of' the teams performances part way through.
:devil: STOP DISTRACTING US! :devil:

Plus also then the audience get a heads up of what we're actually doing / trying to do.

Hezz

*this is only a suggestion and in no way intended to offend, dictate, or cast aspersions in any way to any person, living or dead, referred to or not, in this thread, ad infinitum, limited warranties only, blah blah blah, amen. :innocent:

#36 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:43 AM

One solution* might be to have the caller on a radio mic linked to the PA system.

On a mega team this size it is difficult enough to hear the caller even without background music on the PA, especially when certain PA commentators feel the need to 'talk over the top of' the teams performances part way through.
:devil: STOP DISTRACTING US! :devil:

Plus also then the audience get a heads up of what we're actually doing / trying to do.

Hezz

*this is only a suggestion and in no way intended to offend, dictate, or cast aspersions in any way to any person, living or dead, referred to or not, in this thread, ad infinitum, limited warranties only, blah blah blah, amen. :innocent:

I wish someone had made that suggestion about a radio mike... Oh I did !! Hi Hezz xxx

Statement of Warranty

Definitions

"We" and "our" refers to the The Flying Squad that currently maintain a virtual stranglehold on the airwaves. "You" and "your" refers to the hapless viewer or flyer who has no control over a revolution and who relies at his or her peril on the information (or lack of information) provided by The Flying Squad.

No Warranty Express or Implied

No warranty express or implied is made for any opinions provided to you concerning Rev flying, Team flying, Mega Team flying, Pairs flying or any other Rev flying topic. No refunds, replacements, or compensation will be offered to those killed or injured or who experience loss of property (including household pets) or livelihood (including farming and ranching) as a result of any of the following:
Rising skill levels.
Violent storms.
Food, fuel, mineral or fertilizer shortages.
Water shortages.
Drought.
Deforestation.
Disease resulting from toxic pollution or from the movement of tropical diseases to formerly temperate areas.
Costs associated with loss of eco-services to human or animal populations whether known or unknown at the time of the utterance.
Any other outcomes that can be linked to the diminished habitability of the biosphere.

Warnings
We bear no responsibility for the harm that may come to you or your heirs or assigns or to the biosphere at large even if our hosts or guests denied the existence of any such dangers or stated or implied that such dangers would be inconsequential.
You are advised that our hosts or guests may receive compensation or sponsorship in the form of cash, gifts, free meals at expensive sushi bars and other restaurants, rides on corporate jets, luxury vacations disguised as seminars and fact-finding trips, and speaking fees as well as myriad other items from the fossil fuel, nuclear, automotive, electric utility, kite, chemical and other industries. Some of our guests may also have received lucrative appointments requiring little work from nonprofit organizations supported by the industries above and/or that have a stake in pretending that human activities are neither a threat to the stability of the biosphere nor to the human societies that rely on that stability.
You are further advised that our hosts or guests may have no recognized expertise or if they do have expertise, it is most likely in an area irrelevant to the matters being discussed.
Disjointed, inconsistent, and intentionally deceptive arguments may be used by our hosts or guests and will result in no liability whatsoever for said hosts or guests or for our programs, our producers or staff, our network, or our affiliated stations. Such arguments are designed to make it appear that we are "practicing journalism."

Contraindications

Advice flowing from opinions that downplay present and future ecological dangers for humanity may be contraindicated when:
You have children.
You are planning to have children.
You know any children.
You are a child.
You care about whether some (possibly more modest) form of modern, technical human culture can continue into the future.

Additional warnings

Conversely, if you follow any advice from hosts or guests that in any way helps create a more sustainable world, you are warned that you must take full responsibility for such results as:
An increase in biodiversity.
An increase in soil fertility.
A decrease in toxic pollution.
A decrease greenhouse gases.
A more equitable distribution of wealth.
Stronger local communities.
Any development that leads to greater sustainability that results from your actions.

We cannot take any responsibility for such results though we'd like to if you turn out to be right about the need to move toward sustainability.

Further additional warnings

Neither we, nor our producers or staff, nor our affiliates, nor our parent company, nor the shareholders of our parent company, nor the regulators of our network or our parent company have ever or will ever take responsibility for anything said about the above mentioned environmental topics or any other environmental topic.

Consent to This Statement of Warranty

By viewing or listening to our programs you agree to all the terms of this Statement of Warranty. In the event that you do not agree with this Statement of Warranty, you are advised to turn off your television, radio, Internet connection to our server, or other method of viewing or listening to our programs and seek other outlets for information.

Questions or comments

If you have any questions or comments about this Statement of Warranty, Warnings, Contraindications, Additional Warnings or Further Additional Warnings, fuhgeddaboutit.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#37 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

"Amen" not normally included in limits of liability as it has no legal meaning except in a petition. That's a pro bono suggestion without prejudice and notwithstanding the aforesaid dictum or assertion ;) that said Felix appears to have the prepenultimate suggestion in hand.

Which roughly can be translated as yes I agree about the PA and there is seldom any point in prolonging an arguement.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#38 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for clearing that up Simon
I was a little confused for a while.
Tight Lines
Jade

#39 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

"Amen" not normally included in limits of liability as it has no legal meaning except in a petition. That's a pro bono suggestion without prejudice and notwithstanding the aforesaid dictum or assertion ;) that said Felix appears to have the prepenultimate suggestion in hand.

Which roughly can be translated as yes.

Possibly... I have not got a clear indication as to precisely which way to proceed.

Discussions are on-going and there are some very delicate issues involved. (Please do not push me on this; thanks)

That being said, we need to hear the calls and it would be silly not to get something sorted. My immediate concern is for the designated Rev arena and the rehearsal process. We will need a provision there and a loud hailer may fit the bill. We do not want to impinge on the main arena presentations at that stage. I am going to ask for suggestions for the agenda in the designated Rev arena usage once we know the main arena agendas for both events.

We need to be co-ordinated in many respects!

As soon as I have further information from both events I will be on the case but in the meantime if anyone can provide access to the equipment please let us know.

Thanks

Felix

#40 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

Possibly... I have not got a clear indication as to precisely which way to proceed.

As soon as I have further information from both events I will be on the case but in the meantime if anyone can provide access to the equipment please let us know.

Thanks

Felix

Felix, just a thought, many of the European teams use headsets which seems to work quite well, even if we cannot get enough for everyone we may only need to get enough for the team leaders to pass on the calls to the rest of their team.

So, if you have a headset, bring it with you.

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users