3 replies to this topic

#1 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:15 AM

I remember back in the old days that some had suggested to me that not all four lines needed to be the same weight. Meaning that you could fly with say 150# line on the top and 90# on the bottom. The key was the stronger line was always on top. Is this still a working theory? Reason back then was that the bottom lines being lighter would allow better or easier flight in reverse. Also dropped overall line weight. Just curious.

Dean :bag:

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

I remember back in the old days that some had suggested to me that not all four lines needed to be the same weight. Meaning that you could fly with say 150# line on the top and 90# on the bottom. The key was the stronger line was always on top. Is this still a working theory? Reason back then was that the bottom lines being lighter would allow better or easier flight in reverse. Also dropped overall line weight. Just curious.

Dean :bag:

There are a number of those things that are rarely practiced anymore, such as team members flying on different length lines so they don't collide with each other thus can stand next to each other.
All have their goods and bads.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

This is more true for power kites, not for Rev's. Rev's do have close to the same forces on all four lines so it is recommended that you use the same weight for all four. Foil style power kites have 70-80% of their stress on the main flying lines (top lines) and only use the bottom lines for steering input and landing, therefore you can use a much lighter line on the brake lines which will give you less drag.

Hope this helps.

#4 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:38 AM

kent is right .. i only use #200 over 150# for harder pulling rev stacks that i have .. my blast stack in light winds or my progressive stack.. as for the single revs all 4 lines can be the same
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users