29 replies to this topic

#21 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

WOW, this is a lot of encouragement. Let's see if I can pick my way through this in a reasonabe amout of time.

FortFlyer - Are you referring to additional knots at the handles from what is already there on the B-Series or to make knots for adjustments if none already existed? I have been considering line length issues and have not ruled out that being a problem, but at the same time it sits nicely at the top of the window with the handles together so I'm not convinced it is an issue yet.

Watty - Baby steps. I don't think I have even learned to crawl yet. The concept of small adjustments is so relative. I do not think I am making large movements, but clearly I am.

awindofchange - I cannot say exactly because I no longer remember, but I can tell you that I asked JohnB what I should buy about a year ago and bought that. They are not cheap lines that is for certain. I'm thinking perhaps it was Laser something. I no longer have those emails to verify what they are I just know that they are good lines since I wasn't going to invest in an excellent kite then cheap out on the lines. As for the flying fields. Well, this is a challenge. The closest to me is a block away in a school yard. Lovely, but surrounded by tall trees and a lot of buildings. Works out best in stronger winds that can push through the mess, but far from clean wind. The other place works okay if I get anything from the north blowing, but usually north winds are so ugly that it takes more dedication than I have to go stand out in them. This field is about 10 minutes away. The only other place is where the kite festival was held this year and it is usable for only about a month before it is so grown in again that you can't see the kite standing in it. A couple of us are trying to get the city to grade the area and plant it to grass which would give a very nice spot for kite flying, electric R/C and model rockets, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. So, in the meantime I have to make do with the gusts and extremes hoping everything aligns the evenings or weekends I can be out.

Jeepster - You sort of lost me on the sticks out part for a bit. Are you saying a foot apart directly in front of you or a foot out from each side of you so really wide? Yes, one other guy for sure is near me with the EXP, but he probably has even less time than me to fly. We've flown once together in the last year. I figure he has a better handle on his technique than I do and he feels the opposite! There are supposed to be two other people in this city with a Rev of some configuration, but they have not come forward yet. I even posted an online ad on a local news site looking for them. It is a city of armchair kite flyers! I believe you when you say that Rev flyers want to help each other. I have witnessed this first hand both times iQuad has been here.

REVflyer - You are basically describing what I have been trying to do with a reverse launch. Problem is, it will lauch just fine then either spin around to face forward or I will drive it back into the ground once again not grasping the inverted and pulling back on the controls. Technically, even getting the inverted launch was milestone since I couldn't do that last year at all.

Jonesey - I tried that too for the same reasons. I figured I'd give myself some space by trying it higher up. The dive and stop is more like, dive/stop/flip or rotate for me. I cannot get a dead stop/hover (which makes sense since this whole problem is related to inverted and hover so if I could do a dive/stop/hover I'd probably wet myself with excitement) at all. I can do the dive part...

AldenMiler - Although said in jest there are days that I do think I should not bother. If the learning curve is even measured in short hours, not long days I am short on hours. While I have vacation time this week there has been only one evening with any wind. An hour here or there will never be enough. Interesting about the inverted slide though. I did that once. The kite was down, the handles staked and I tripped on myself and in the process moved a handle at the same time a gust of wind rolled through. I had the perfect inverted slide six inches off the ground with no touch by me. It told me the kite wasn't the problem and that I should probably took better note of the handle positions! I see a lot of iQuad video with the kite inverted a lot of the time and a lot of responses on this thread about flying inverted more than upright. Right now if it wasn't for upright it wouldn't be going anywhere! With my original Rev 1 on a good day on good grass I used to be able to skate it along on the leading edge then flip it around upright and go. Looking back I probably was within hours of making that an inverted slide before I even knew what one was. I can't even get that ground slide with the new kite yet (but then again there is the limited good grass areas to even try).

The other key element mentioned here is "practice". Yeah, I do get that concept. Generally I pick up things quickly and when something doesn't happen at the speed I think it should happen then I start to beat myself up on it. My goal was to hover inverted last fall and I didn't come close. I became fixed on not making that goal then just stopped flying probably two months before the weather dicated I should have stopped. I keep coming back for more self abuse I guess, but this time decided not to tackle this alone, but to ask for help so I can stay on course and not over-think it. I'm also going to try something totally different for me and that is plug music into my head while I do this. I've never owned an iPod and didn't care to, but I do now. I'm hoping that the music may calm the controls so no rock&roll to start, but something light. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks.

Bart

#22 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

Jeepster - You sort of lost me on the sticks out part for a bit. Are you saying a foot apart directly in front of you or a foot out from each side of you so really wide?

Bart,

I had the handles at waist height, the top tips about three feet apart and the bottoms angled even further outward ... so really wide. It probably looked dumb, but so did the stupid grin on my face when the kite hung in the air upside down. BTW, I'm pretty sure Jonesy and Alden are just being plain mean when they say the kite flyes upside down better than upright. If it was so &^%%&* easy, you and I would be flying that way already ... yes?

Cheers,
Tom

#23 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:31 PM

I was taught to fly inverted first before all other. It's something to work on. I'm sure you can do all the forward stuff. So work on inverted. The inverted reversed bicycle across the window at about 6" off the ground is so cool you can't help but smile.
Another reason to launch inverted and hold the hover at 1' or less from the ground is that when or if the kite dives, ( to far forward on the thumbs. Very common in ALL aspects) your not going to slam hard.

You'll get it quick, took me longer to fly forward than it did to hold an inverted hover. I'm odd like that.

Dean :ani_punk:

#24 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:51 PM

Jonesey - I tried that too for the same reasons. I figured I'd give myself some space by trying it higher up. The dive and stop is more like, dive/stop/flip or rotate for me. I cannot get a dead stop/hover (which makes sense since this whole problem is related to inverted and hover so if I could do a dive/stop/hover I'd probably wet myself with excitement) at all. I can do the dive part...

Bart,

Jonesy is probably sleeping right now, but when he wakes up, I'm sure he'll tell you to check your line lengths. If the dive/stop doesn't end in a brief hover, then that's the first thing to check.

The lines (even good ones) will stretch some during the first few hours of flight. It's not too bad if the two top lines stay even with each other and the bottom two lines stay even with each other ... you can sort out any top/bottom difference with the knots on your handles. But, if you've been pulling harder on one side or the other or you've rotated the lines then it's hard to sort out the difference.

To check your lines, place the loops from one end of all four lines on a horizontal rod/nail/dowel, stretch out the lines, and hold the other ends even on a dowel/rod/screw driver. If there is a difference in the sag of the lines then you'll have to even out the lines by shortening the saggy ones. Shorten them either by untying and retying the knots in the sleeving ... after pulling a little extra line through the sleeving ... or by just adding an extra knot in the sleeving as it is.

How much sag is okay? I'll let others tell you their experience. I compare the top two lines to each other and the bottom two lines to each other. I pull the loop on the saggiest top line until it's even with the other top line. Then I look at how much I've pulled on the long/saggy line. If it's over a quarter inch, I shorten the longest line. Then I do the same with the bottom lines. I keep the tops and the bottoms very even with each other. As to the difference between bottoms and tops ... I put the short ones on top to help stretch them out. Right now my top lines are a half inch shorter than my bottom lines ...

Cheers,
Tom

#25 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

Music is a great flying partner. It doesn't really matter what kind of music your listening too if your not trying to put together a ballet.
I am a perfectionist myself and either put myself down so much I just quit flying for a while or I break something. That really isn't what kiting is all about. I have learned since being on these forums and watching vids that Rev flying is about nothing more than control. Practice is the key. But so is self control. When emotions get involved in a negitive way flying gets harder and harder.
When flying inverted your handle inputs are VERY small. I think of these movements as more of a small bounce of the handle instead of putting the handle in one place and holding it there. Just enough bounce to pull the slack out of the bottom lines. BE GENTEL. LOL, it's hard as you know, but you'll get it.

Dean
Off to fly, toodles

#26 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:04 AM

Whenever I give a lesson we begin with the kite inverted (that's how it always looks every time after impacting mother-earth, right?)
When the student has gained this skill they don't need a down-wind crew anymore and the excitement is so contagious! I also recommend a light delicate grip, like you are holding a baby chick, not an angry Cobra! Let your fingers transfer the sensations to your brain. If you're squeezing the life out of the foam you can't communicate thru the lines!

We first learn how to roll it over slowly, (cartwheel) balancing on the wing-tip, .... not sliding it across the ground.

Then we work on the reverse launch, I may stand behind the kite with my arms outstretched and prevent the kite from gaining altitude

then holding an inverted hover

then an inverted side-slide. This is easy to learn, stick one the handles into your rib-cage and only move the other. (Try it!) It allows your brain to easily grasp the "feel". After a few sessions they don't think about it and don't need the crutch anymore either.

Now just go enjoy the kite, you don't need a coach anymore!

Oh, I almost forgot, everybody wants to learn how to walk the kite too!

#27 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:16 AM

Then we work on the reverse launch, I may stand behind the kite with my arms outstretched and prevent the kite from gaining altitude

Do you mumble any incantations or does your presence alone keep the kite from rising? :kid_devlish:

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#28 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:56 AM

it's just easier on the kite, than making the flyer use a soccer goal post as a stop! It can be scary though in twitchy winds <LOL>

#29 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

Oh... You taught John a few moves too, hey? Me too! But, I've been rev'n since June so that's no big deal! I'm an expert now!
LOL
:clap;
Jynx

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#30 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

For a bunch of really bizzare and weird guys, you're extremely informative!
THANKS!
Jynx
:cat:

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users