36 replies to this topic

#1 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:21 PM

How do you tune a bridel? Rev of course. I was almost thinking about trying a knotted pig tail on the fittings. That way I could let the bridel out in upper winds and pull it in tight for lighter winds. I'm sure I'll try it anyway, but does this sound like something that could work? Maybe even a knotted tail in the middle of the vertical bridel. Between the upper and lower tow points.
Reason for all of this thought is in light wind some fly bridelless. That moves your tow points to the extreme ends of the virtical rods. Tail in the middle of the vertical bridel line when expanded would move the tow points toward the ends of the rods without removing the bridel or installing pig tails for specific wind. Which also means knotted tails at the end caps both LE and the verticals. Pull the bridel in tight to the sail while moving the tow points out for light wind.
Another thought is that when pulled in tight you could let the bottom ends out for more lift.
In higher winds you could let the whole bridel out, reduce stress to the frame, slow the input to the kite somewhat for greater control. With the upper and lower tails you could let the top out and pull the bottom in for increased brake as well. Then instead of tuning the kite by just the handles your handles become more of like extreme fine tuning to wind, attitude and personal prefrences.

There I go thinking again.

Dean :ani_idea:

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:31 AM

The bridal is used to spread out the stress along the kite's frame. When flying bridalless, the stress is concentrated on four points. Tuning a bridal is like tuning handles. If it feels like there is too much forward and not enough brake, make adjustments to give the kite more brake. I think that on the bridal, the connection points for the lines should all be the same length from the sail, to give it an even amount of forward and brake.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:39 AM

The bridal is used to spread out the stress along the kite's frame. When flying bridalless, the stress is concentrated on four points. Tuning a bridal is like tuning handles. If it feels like there is too much forward and not enough brake, make adjustments to give the kite more brake. I think that on the bridal, the connection points for the lines should all be the same length from the sail, to give it an even amount of forward and brake.

Maybe this thread should be called how to spell Bridle/Bridel/bridal :lol:

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

They all look fine to me ;)

But Bridel is the only one that comes up as misspelled on FireFox.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:57 AM

you can tune a bridle (slightly) by moving the individual legs (slightly!),
but the only decent way of testing is by direct comparison.

That means you need two IDENTICAL kites set-up side-by-side and only one variable can be examined at a time.

Otherwise what caused the excessive over-steer?? (just as an example)

#6 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:15 AM

I apologize for my misspelling. Guess the e button is a little quicker than the l button when typoing in a hurry.

I guess what got me thinking about the adjustable BRIDLE is the tunability depending on my mood. I like that ability on my M#%&. Between the BRIDLE and the frame there are about 256 different possible ways to set up the kite. And thats not counting the different line lengths and weights.

I'm bored alot, so thinking gives me something to do when I'm not flying.

Dean :ani_punk:

#7 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

Personally I have come to the conclusion that tuning the bridil is not the key issue. Pug tail tuning is the key. The rest is down to the pilut and his or her skills. I call this long vowel flying technique.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#8 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

I'll just practice. I just had a thought, misery loves company? Made ya think :kid_smartass:

I don't mind getting all dirty when flying sometimes. Makes it a manly thing. Or something. Wife asks what happened when I come in with dirty pants, sweat soaked with black hands. Usually on a high wind day this happens. My reply is that the kite had a mind of it's own and I had to kick it's hiney to make it obediant.

Does that make me a MASTER Rev pilot? :kid_devlish:

#9 Jim Dingsdale

Jim Dingsdale

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:33 AM

I'll just practice. I just had a thought, misery loves company? Made ya think :kid_smartass:

I don't mind getting all dirty when flying sometimes. Makes it a manly thing. Or something. Wife asks what happened when I come in with dirty pants, sweat soaked with black hands. Usually on a high wind day this happens. My reply is that the kite had a mind of it's own and I had to kick it's hiney to make it obediant.

Does that make me a MASTER Rev pilot? :kid_devlish:

You betcha!

#10 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:52 AM

The reason most light wind fliers (or is that flyers or flyer's or flier's....dang spell checker anyways).... ah heck, the reason most light wind PILOTS fly bridleless is not necessarily to adjust the kite but to reduce line drag caused by the bridles which aren't really doing anything in those wind conditions anyways....allowing better flight in the lightest of winds. Because you are flying in the lightest of winds, stress on the frames is not an issue and you can sacrifice frame support and strength for less drag without breaking anything.

Adjusting the bridle on a rev is usually not necessary at all and your gains are probably going to be ever so minimal that it makes it not worth it. As said above, put some adjuster knots and start enjoying your fly time.

#11 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

I try not to adjust my bridal without her consent. She gets cranky and thinks I am being bossy otherwise.

Also, Pugs have curly funny tails!

:kid_smartass:

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#12 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

Whatever makes you happy is all that matters.

:kid_content:
couldn't have put it better myself Steve :D
1 of the 47.

#13 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:53 PM

Basially what I was saying is that there are some of us out here (way out here in some cases, :w/stupid: ) that like to tune or mess with things. My Rev 1 has a BRIDLE, that has stretched because... Well it WILL fly in 3 to 30mph winds, because I said so and I am the MASTER in this relationship. :kid_brooding: And my Rev 1 was the lead kite in a stack of 2 in 20+mph winds on more than one occasion.

So, the thought with the BRIDLE is that I could pull the BRIDLE in tight to the sail meaning less BRIDLE movement to offset the handle inputs making the kite more controlable (twitchy) without removing the BRIDLE and using pig tails in lighter winds. (I'm not a physics teacher, but I think like one) Tried the BRIDLESS way and didn't catch Watties comment of flying that setup in LIGHT wind. Middle of the window and the LE tips touch each other twice at warp 9. Follow me so far? I suck at descriptions.
But on the other hand, (dual line I know) the farther away from the kite the tow points are means less stress on the frame, more control thus making the top wind range of the kite higher. Still following me?

I need to change the BRIDLE out for a lighter kind and will with a newer Revolution BRIDLE. 100# is it? I'm not sure. Like the 1.5 BRIDLE. It's about 3 or 4 times as small. Almost looks to be the same size as my 150# line sleeved.

So basically I'm saying that those who want to take the time to FINE tune the're kite to their flying style, ability or mood could probably benifit from my thought. And like your more or less brake leaders you'd learn how to fly it and are able to set the kite up at the beginning to conditions and FINE tune it with the handles. Meaning your handles have even more control over what your flying.

Practice is the way to go. But what if there was the possibility to make learning easier? Maybe you'd have to make sure you have Race rods, or at least 3 wrap rods for the lighter wind. But I'm tell'en ya all that more or less of this or that changes what you can or can't do with the Rev.

What if you could give max brake with max lift? Could happen.

BTW, when teaching or giving advice it's better recieved if you can prove what your saying. My flying style on duallies indoors, I KNOW I could fly the Rev indoors the first try if I had say a two wrap rod set. Or someone had a indoor Rev. Thats why I keep reverting to my other half for advice on the Rev.

#14 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:50 PM

Lines are even, thats why I moved on to another thought. LOL, thats all it is is a thought. Just wanted to see how many ppl I could get in on this. This thread has kept me from getting bored. :ani_victory:

No overly complicated thoughts all day. I feel better.

Did anyone notice I'm spelling BRIDLE right now?

#15 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:01 AM

Dean just read this thread and you have confused the hell out of me :D
Tight Lines
Jade

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/

#16 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:43 PM

Dean just read this thread and you have confused the hell out of me :D

That was kinda the point of the thread. 1. to see if anyone else out there has had kinda the same thought, 2. has anyone tried it, 3. see how many ppl if any like to tweak they're Rev's for they're flying style, 4. to find out who are the sharper tools in the shed. :cat_goofy:

I'm just kidding about the whole sharpest tool in the shed thing.
The main point was to explain a thought I was having due to not flying for a couple of days. By starting this thread I created a way to stop myself from thinking too much. :kid_devlish: It worked too. Still thinking about the bridle thing though. For a 0 to 20 mph Rev. That would be cool wouldn't it?

#17 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

Thats an easy one its called a blast but hang on tight
Tight Lines
Jade

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/

#18 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:06 PM

I'm poorer than poor, own a Rev 1 with 4 wrap rods (I think). So yea, I had a thought.

Dean

#19 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

I'm sorry, but everytime I see this thread I keep mentally reading it as:

"you can tune a bridle, but you can't tune a fish".

I'll go hide now! :blue-confused:

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#20 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:21 PM

I'm sorry, but everytime I see this thread I keep mentally reading it as:

"you can tune a bridle, but you can't tune a fish".

I'll go hide now! :blue-confused:

Now I'm lost and it's my thread. :big_bangin: could try canning it though. :lol: Oh come on, that was funny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users