9 replies to this topic

#1 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:01 PM

hi . wufer here from yorkshire uk. ive looked in on this forum a few times but never had a post.Ive been thinking of buying a rev for some time but could not make up my mind which one to buy.eather EXP or SLE. From what ive read in this forum the SLE is the way to go.One question thou; should i get the standerd SLE or is it possible to get the VENTED SLE and fit home made vent covers to convert  to light wind flight if needed. OK it might be a bit far fetched but will it work The reason i ask is that i dont know and i would like your input .   regards    wufer

#2 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

This was discussed here quite a bit on another site: http://kitelife.com/...?showtopic=1029

(I hope such cross linking isn't frowned upon here.)

--Lee

#3 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:00 PM

hi lee thanks for the thread.It seems by what i read my idea is not a good one.Better to have a vented sail with a 2 wrap LE.(what ever that is)(ime just a beginer with revs so youl have to excuse my ignorance) Anyway thanks lee.Any one else think its a bad idea?    regards     wufer

#4 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

1.5 sle is the best kite all around
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#5 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:42 AM

If I could only have two Revs, I would have the SUL and the Vented 1.5. Swapping the SUL spars in to the vented when the wind picks up a little and then swapping your choice of heavier spar into the vented when the wind gets even stronger.

But it depends on your preferences. I like flying the Vented because it is easier to be more precise and smooths out gusty,inland (not beach), winds. But if you like speed, you will be unhappy. The vented wont be as quick or quite as snappy as an unvented sail.

#6 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:37 AM

I agree completely about SUL + vented being the two to cover any conditions.  I am not a speed freak and prefer slow and steady.  I don't like to get pulled around either.

I have a vented and a "standard" 1.5 SLE and pretty much only use my standard as a "SUL" with 2-wrap and 3-wrap frames.  Any windier than that and I am flying the vented, often with 3- and 4-wrap non-SLE frames.

If I had to choose one kite and winds were generally above 5mph, it would be the vented along with a lighter frame (e.g., 3-wrap or maybe 2-wrap).  If winds were generally below 8mph, it would be the SUL along with a 3-wrap non-SLE frame.  If winds were generally 3-15mph, a 1.5 SLE plus a 3-wrap (EXP) leading edge is probably a good bet.  That will get you below 3mph with some skill and work.

I am contemplating a custom SUL to match my custom vented.  If I did that, I doubt I would ever fly my standard 1.5 SLE since its range is covered by the SUL and vented.

Good luck on your decision.  Either way, you're going to have a lot of fun with a Rev or two.

--Lee

#7 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:25 AM

wow thanks for the inputs. Theres a lot more to revs than i thought. JUst one last thing please.From what i see i have two choices.1, a standerd 1.5 sle     Choice 2.A 1.5 sle vented  with a exp two wrap le for lighter wind Please bear in mind this will be my first rev and here in yorkshire uk ist a bit windy which suits me. Your comments please.   OH by the way ;any rev flyers in yorkshire would like to meet so i can see a rev first hand?     REGARDS WUFER

#8 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:08 AM

I am not in Yorkshire but a bit further south in Bedfordshire, however, there are a lot of good pilots at your end of the country.  I would suggest that you join STACK UK (lots of reasons plus TP liability insurance) and maybe have a look at the MKF (Midland Kite Fliers) as they have a very strong club presence.

As for your first kite you are more likely to fly a vented in the winter but I would personally start with an SUL with an extra frame set (medium weight) if you are not an experienced quad pilot.  I say this only because learning to fly in strong winds is not as easy and you are more at risk from breakages.  

My best advice is to find someone local and try one.  
In the meantime, have a look at http://www.netspaces...tack/index.html
http://www.mkf.org.uk/

Let me know if I can help further

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#9 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

Stephen thanks.I looked in the STACK site and from there i got a link to NORTHERN KITE GROUP.Thay are all from my neck of the woods so ill be at home there and hopefully find a few rev flyers .Thanks     wufer

#10 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:05 PM

The Northern Kite group are a great bunch, we see them at several festivals throughout the year.  Make a note in your diary to visit the kite festival in Sunderland next July (1st weekend)  this is one of the best festivals in the UK.

Enjoy

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users