• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RescueRev

RescueRev
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

Revers,

As you know I am new to the Rev seen and loving the chalange the Rev offers. So I recently got a progressive stack from Ben. I love seeing the three revs flying together. My problem is if I keep flying the stack the way I am, the next time I buy a long sleeve shirt I am going to need to get one with longer sleeves then I have been wearing :D The winds have been around 12mph when I have flown them.So my question is what handles do stack fliers use? I have been using the handles that came with my 1.5's and tried attaching a lead with seven knots on them but still can't seem to get desent breaks on the stack. So would longer handles help?
Also the 1.5 and the Rev 1 move around when flying. If you were flying a progressive stack and the top two kites moved around how would you tune the stack?
Thanks,
RescueRev

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:40 PM

Revers,

As you know I am new to the Rev seen and loving the chalange the Rev offers. So I recently got a progressive stack from Ben. I love seeing the three revs flying together. My problem is if I keep flying the stack the way I am, the next time I buy a long sleeve shirt I am going to need to get one with longer sleeves then I have been wearing :D The winds have been around 12mph when I have flown them.So my question is what handles do stack fliers use? I have been using the handles that came with my 1.5's and tried attaching a lead with seven knots on them but still can't seem to get desent breaks on the stack. So would longer handles help?
Also the 1.5 and the Rev 1 move around when flying. If you were flying a progressive stack and the top two kites moved around how would you tune the stack?
Thanks,
RescueRev

Longer handles do help a lot with stacks. At one time REV made long handles which were carbon wrapped and were designed for large trains. I do not know whether they are made anymore. They were quite expensive.

REVs shaking in the train. Check all of your train lines. Are they still all the same length? Check how they are connected and none are wrapped around something.

A progressive train is always much more stabler then a train of the same size. With trains of the same size you also need to watch out for sail flying time age. Sails of about the same flying time age, fly best together.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Jim Dingsdale

Jim Dingsdale

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

Revers,

Thanks,
RescueRev

Just got back from flying a Rev 2 and a B-series vented Rev.
Had no problem with them.
One thing I did notice is the middle link line should be a touch longer.
Whether longer handles would help, I have no idea.
Need to do some more experimenting.
The cat photo is how I felt after flying.
Hey, Steve.
You beat me to the punch.
Excellent pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture.jpg
  • Picture_035.jpg
  • Picture_034.jpg
  • Picture_033.jpg
  • Picture_032.jpg

#4 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:48 PM

A few more pics of Jim's 2 kite stack taken this afternoon:
jims_stack5.jpg jims_stack1.jpg jims_stack4.jpg

#5 RescueRev

RescueRev
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:19 PM

Longer handles do help a lot with stacks. At one time REV made long handles which were carbon wrapped and were designed for large trains. I do not know whether they are made anymore. They were quite expensive.

REVs shaking in the train. Check all of your train lines. Are they still all the same length? Check how they are connected and none are wrapped around something.

A progressive train is always much more stabler then a train of the same size. With trains of the same size you also need to watch out for sail flying time age. Sails of about the same flying time age, fly best together.

Hi John,

I will go shopping for longer handles and try what you suggested. Thank you for the information. The next time I fly my stack I hope to have longer handles and I will let you know how it worked.
RescueRev

#6 RescueRev

RescueRev
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

Just got back from flying a Rev 2 and a B-series vented Rev.
Had no problem with them.
One thing I did notice is the middle link line should be a touch longer.
Whether longer handles would help, I have no idea.
Need to do some more experimenting.
The cat photo is how I felt after flying.
Hey, Steve.
You beat me to the punch.
Excellent pictures.

Hi Jim,
I am going to try longer handles. I will let you know how they worked for me. I to felt the way you did after I flew my stack. Thanks for the input.
RescueRev

#7 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

Hi Jim,
I am going to try longer handles. I will let you know how they worked for me. I to felt the way you did after I flew my stack. Thanks for the input.
RescueRev

I normally fly my progressive with my 2~4 handles which as John says are carbon wrapped.... there is a good stack thread on here about tuning your stack which helps a lot the highlights being ...

1. shorten the bottom two stack lines (break) on your last kite slightly (I did mine by about 1" but advice varies ... experiment!).. this seems to help stabilise the stack.

2. Fly the back kite in the stack (makes sense once you try ... means timing of turns etc is right)

3. Fly with less brake then you do on a single kite

4. don't try an axel in front of an unsympathetic crowd of Board sailors

(ok that last one was mine based on personal experience!!)

#8 RescueRev

RescueRev
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

I normally fly my progressive with my 2~4 handles which as John says are carbon wrapped.... there is a good stack thread on here about tuning your stack which helps a lot the highlights being ...

1. shorten the bottom two stack lines (break) on your last kite slightly (I did mine by about 1" but advice varies ... experiment!).. this seems to help stabilise the stack.

2. Fly the back kite in the stack (makes sense once you try ... means timing of turns etc is right)

3. Fly with less brake then you do on a single kite

4. don't try an axel in front of an unsympathetic crowd of Board sailors

(ok that last one was mine based on personal experience!!)

Hi Jonesey,
Thanks again for the information. It might take a week or two to try everything in the posts. But I will let everyone know how things workrd out.
RescueRev

#9 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:17 AM

Hope my suggestion helps as you seem to be haveing a similar problem that i did.

Lines and stretch.The quality of line i was useing wasnt the best [low grade spectra]and stretched like biilyO.I swapped the tops and bottoms,adjusted a few times but still couldnt get a consistent feel.JM and others gave me some sound advice on lines and stacks.
.I bought some LPG 150lb and some 300lb.Pre stretched it before i made the set up.Since,apart from some tuneing of the stacklines themselves.It now flys well,consistent and ive only done a slight adjustment once
The line drag/weight isnt an issue on the heavier lines as the pull is like a truck from the kite.When the wind is lower i use my normal lines[LPG120ft x 90lbx150lb].BTW,my set are 120ft x 150lb x 300lb.They did cost a few $$,but worth it i think.

Hope it helps ya bud,i know how frustrating it can be .Worth it when its sorted out though.

BRIAN...

#10 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:33 AM

HO BTW,the handles i use are the same as discribed by Jonesey,but i have used B Series also.I do prefare the longer,thicker carbon ones though.

BRIAN...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users