90 replies to this topic

#41 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:19 AM

Dennis & I will have those "girly sticks" installed on 1.5 kites up in Wildwood on the 22nd of March, 2008
so if anyone arrives and wants to give 'em a spankin' they're certainly welcome.

#42 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:21 AM

I think I have eight wrap REV tubes in a custom Beautiful Evil

#43 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:48 AM

My sentiments exactly... Mostly, I just don't care for the added inertia of those spars on the back.

I flew on them for 8 years.. I got my first B series kite in Wildwood wood 2007..
And Decided not to Fly it with the Sticks… There is no Need..

My Opinion is.
They are Great for Certain things
Learning to fly is one.. because It keeps the kite off the Ground...
Catch and throws Cause it Throws great with that Little Lift the Sticks Give..
And 360 Degree Roll Over's...

At this Point in my flying I Like Revs Without them...

It is Much More Precise and Steady because it allows the kite to load in the Center
And Not on the Wings..
The Set up time is Half.. And I like the Way you can Wrap the kite in the Bridle for Storage..
I have also ripped my Sails where the APA rubs on the kites.. Especially on the Vented ones..
So if you Install them.. I suggest you add a piece of Repair Tape behind them from day 1..

They Served me well for years, but the only Kite I would Apply them to is an SLE.
With that Fat leading Edge, The Sticks work Great..
I have Tried them with the new 3 and 4 Wrap and It Changes the Way the Kite is Designed..
Especially with the B Series Kites.. There is Definatly no need to Change that one.. :kid_smartass:

Kiting Tampa Bay Web Site

Kitemania

February 7-8 2014 Treasure Island Beach..
The NON_Festival weekend of flying...

#44 Scott A.

Scott A.

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:44 AM

With all due respect,
The full original design has been MUCKED up of late, The "MAGIC Quadsticks" are different not better, stay tuned for more on this topic! Rollup takeoffs one thing that can't be done without them! just for starters! this is kites after all so different not better, would seem to be an American SPORTKITE mission statement! I have flown on the sticks for 14 years and flown without them as well, parking on the ground is the only thing I have had a chance to learn humbly without the sticks. (NOTHING IN THE SKY) With the correct balance and parts IE: APA fittings and such, they will offer new configurations that just are not POSSIBLE WITHOUT THEM :confused!: something to ponder and open up to. REMEMBER different not better. Definitely different, maybe a little defiantly innovative ;) IMHO, Sissy Bars :huh: FLY LIKE A MAN! This forum is a tool to learn from each other and for people like me to learn from the pro's, just a little innovation would seem to me, to be very appropriate. DELTA WING dual line kites have new innovations almost weekly, And the REV has seen it share of changes lately (THANKS REV via JOHNNY) So until I have it all figured out, I will remain open to new innovations and old ones that have been MUCKED up some. I'm gonna keep coming, because I know it works if you work it. Don't fix it if it is not broken, If you insist, change it some to be a little different!
Scott Weider
Team REV RIDERS

#45 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:11 PM

I think I have eight wrap REV tubes in a custom Beautiful Evil

If they say "STIFF", then they are most likely 6 wrap.
With a "REV I" 1/4" OD rod I found that they increase in weight by about 7 grams per wrap.
- PUO - 2 wrap @ 14 gr.
- UL - 3 wrap @ 21 gr.
- RE - 4 wrap @ 28 gr.
- STIFF - 6 wrap @ 42 gr.
Other rod wrap versions do exist, which were by special order. Seems to me Sam Ritter said he has 8 wrap on the first "REV I" of his huge train of "REV I"'s.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#46 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

With all due respect,
The full original design has been MUCKED up of late, The "MAGIC Quadsticks" are different not better, stay tuned for more on this topic! Rollup takeoffs one thing that can't be done without them! just for starters! this is kites after all so different not better, would seem to be an American SPORTKITE mission statement! I have flown on the sticks for 14 years and flown without them as well, parking on the ground is the only thing I have had a chance to learn humbly without the sticks. (NOTHING IN THE SKY) With the correct balance and parts IE: APA fittings and such, they will offer new configurations that just are not POSSIBLE WITHOUT THEM :confused!: something to ponder and open up to. REMEMBER different not better. Definitely different, maybe a little defiantly innovative ;) IMHO, Sissy Bars :huh: FLY LIKE A MAN! This forum is a tool to learn from each other and for people like me to learn from the pro's, just a little innovation would seem to me, to be very appropriate. DELTA WING dual line kites have new innovations almost weekly, And the REV has seen it share of changes lately (THANKS REV via JOHNNY) So until I have it all figured out, I will remain open to new innovations and old ones that have been MUCKED up some. I'm gonna keep coming, because I know it works if you work it. Don't fix it if it is not broken, If you insist, change it some to be a little different!

Even the 5 time European Quad line Champion Guido Maiocchi uses them exclusively in competition. They are really dramatically different allowing you to do things that are very difficult or even impossible to do with out them. e.g. multiple back to back flick-flacks with out the REV even tilting.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#47 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:51 PM

In competition - you do what you need to to win !!!

If these rods make that easier - then why not!

Me I dont fly with them, as I'm still learning how to fly the shop bought stuff!

unlike Dual lin ewhere we used to play with every setting !!!!!!

I take a rev, put it together and fly. I've alway like the challenge. I'm still learning, only been flying them since they came to the UK...

As for the rods, broke a Professional spar in competition, carried on flying and got a good score, but it was a gus tthat did it. Before that I was down wind of the kite when putting it together (last time I did that) even my kids know not to do that!!

Last weekend & just beofre that, TFS were flying tea bags, with SLE (standards) & 4 wrap verts, or double frames and it was very windy with 45mph plus gusts. I get pulled over before it would break.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#48 Vincent

Vincent
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:16 AM

With a "REV I" 1/4" OD rod I found that they increase in weight by about 7 grams per wrap.

Is there someone who can tell me why rods are noticed 1/4 " (in cm : 0.635) but in fact I see 0.8 cm ( 1/3") ?

#49 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:41 AM

IIRC the 1/4" refers to the ID (inside diameter) of the rod.
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#50 Vincent

Vincent
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:17 PM

Thank you nckiter.

#51 chrsfincher

chrsfincher
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:14 AM

I have had my rev for i dont know how long and it has more than paid for itself. i would like to get some of the original spars again (if you look in the mods section put a post about cheap spars up). i have been using fiberglass ones for longer than i can remember and im not even sure i know what the originals were. i have a rev 1.5 least thats what the kite says. if anyone could help it would be greatly appriciated. i dont know if it is an sle or whatever it is fairly old so maybe that will help. ty guys for all the help

#52 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

I have had my rev for i dont know how long and it has more than paid for itself. i would like to get some of the original spars again (if you look in the mods section put a post about cheap spars up). i have been using fiberglass ones for longer than i can remember and im not even sure i know what the originals were. i have a rev 1.5 least thats what the kite says. if anyone could help it would be greatly appriciated. i dont know if it is an sle or whatever it is fairly old so maybe that will help. ty guys for all the help

chrsfincher,

If I remember correctly, you don't have a local kite shop in your area ... thus, you'll have to go the online route. If you look through the forum, you'll find a number of online kite shops that come highly recommended. They will all serve you well if you give them a call.

Although they'll all go out of their way to help, Kent provides the best website for those who want to read and think. The attached address provides an excellent explanation of which rods fit your 1.5 kite. Kind of like one of those yellow books at the store ... "Rev Rods for Dummies". It certainly helped me.

http://www.awindofch..._Code=rev-parts

Glad to see you're going to put good rods back on your Rev ... you'll really notice a difference. Oh yes, skip over the SLE rods and only look at the 2-, 3- and 4-wrap rods. The SLE is too stiff for general use.

Cheers,
Tom

#53 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:32 PM

The SLE is too stiff for general use.

Cheers,
Tom

If you want a good rod recommendation, get the race rod set, and a 4 wrap set. That will take care of all wind ranges. Race rods for up to 15 mph, 4 wraps for anything over that.
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#54 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

There are no variants of the Race Rods, are there?

A respected friend of mine seems to think the Barresi Series kites have race rods in them.
There is only one version of race rod, and the Barresi vented kite ships with the same regular Rev rods (3 and 4 wrap) that can be purchased as replacement rods.

It's all about the sail design, and not the rods in the Baressi series that makes it special.

Am i right or wrong?

#55 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

Regular B-Series STDs come with 2 & 3 wrap frames.
Regular B-Series VTDs come with 3 & 4 wrap frames.
Regular B-Series Mid-Vent generally has 3 wrap, far as I know.

The B-Series Pro (any model) comes with your CHOICE of frame.

The sail design and tuning accounts for 90% of the difference in flight compared to EXP, SLE, etc.

The Race Frame is simply a specialized frame, lighter than 2 wrap and nearly as stiff (not the same strength however).

==

iQuad probably uses the frames in these percentages...

50% Race Frame
30% 3 wrap
20% 4 wrap

We don't use 2 wraps, as we don't care for the flexibility as compared to the Race Frame.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#56 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

Right.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#57 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

A respected friend of mine seems to think the Barresi Series kites have race rods in them.
There is only one version of race rod, and the Barresi vented kite ships with the same regular Rev rods (3 and 4 wrap) that can be purchased as replacement rods.

It's all about the sail design, and not the rods in the Baressi series that makes it special.

Am i right or wrong?

The JB standard comes "normally" with 2 and 3 wrap rods sets. The JB vented comes "normally" with 3 and 4 wrap rods sets. You can order anything you want on special order. Shops often will change rods out on the sale of a REV. I would presume you might have to pay a little extra though for the Race rods. The JB Pro is offered with your choice of one rod set.

As for Race rods for the 1.5, they are all the same at this time.

The JB has an ever so slight change in the sail internal shape that does allow it to fly a bit better then the standard 1.5. It is primarily related to the panel layout.

#58 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

Am i right or wrong?

I think your friend is a little confused as some have been with the introduction of the New Silver labels which were primarily just on the Race Frame in the start.

Now the Silver labels are on the Race, 2 wrap and 3 wrap I have not seen them on 4 wrap rods yet but that may have changed.

If he (you) look closely at the new labels you will see 2 feathers (professional use only) which are the 2 wraps, 3 feathers (ultralight) which are the 3 wraps.

The race rode will say "race" on them surrounded by black tribal like flames.

Hope that helps ;)
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#59 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

There is also the Silver Bullet leading edge, which is another type of rod altogether for the 1.5 kites.

Also, there IS a variant of the Race Rod, but it's only available for Blast leading edge.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#60 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

There is also the Silver Bullet leading edge, which is another type of rod altogether for the 1.5 kites.

Also, there IS a variant of the Race Rod, but it's only available for Blast leading edge.

Mmmmmmmmmmm Silver Bullets now are those choices when getting a pro ?? oops :offtopic:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users