85 replies to this topic

#81 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

You are right on the money for that learning curve!

Thanks for the photo props.

I can tell you that flying in a group is about 64 times better than solo flying. That was the last big group I was in....Posted Image

Bart

#82 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:25 AM

One common thread to all this: everyone seems to describe moving handles in order to make the right wing go up or the left wing go up (or down in either case).

Try this instead: think of opposite/differential motions of the handles (left brake out - right brake in) as causing rotation. Clockwise is clockwise whether inverted or not. The kite is not turning right or left, but clockwise or counterclockwise.
Once you get the idea that the in-out tilt (differential; in relation to each other) of the handles controls rotation; and the in-out tilt (common; together) controls motion towards and away from the leading edge, it becomes much more easy to overlay different amounts of differential and common tilt to control the kite. I would practice hovering in all positions before doing ANY forward flying, much less backward flying.

Once you have practiced that, straight down wind, until it becomes automatic, then begin moving your hands forward and back in relation to each other to make the kite slide sideways (or maintain height when on end).

(Different control motions, but this view -- CW/CCW -- of kite motion can help on dual line kits as well. How many times have you seen a novice 2-liner dive a kite into the ground instead of pulling back into the sky and then hear, "Well, I tried to turn it to my right." When teaching beginners I try to never say the words left or right. When talking about the kite I use CW and CCW; when referring to the hands I point to or tap the appropriate hand or shoulder.)

As a creed to believe in, I say, "Right and left are the mortal enemies of sport kite flyers!"

Fantastic Explanation, regarding  thinking of the rotation of the kite rather than which handle controls which side of the kite.  Makes sense, and is very easy to remember.   

AKA member

#83 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:00 AM

Spent about 4 hours today flying my Rev B m/v in some good winds , for a change. I am focusing on one thing at a time, in learning how to fly the Rev properly, and right now it is  the inverted hover. I started by going to to the top of the window, inverting, and slowly descending to the ground. Problems I ran into:

1. Decent too fast ( solution, more brake as soon as inverted)
2. Sliding to one side ( correcting the inadvertent  slide by keeping hands together)

In working at this , I came to a couple of conclusions that I think are important.  The first was, keeping the kite level LE down ( I shall say wings level from my piloting background) , utilizes the exact same control inputs, as when the LE edge is up. I realized this almost immediately. Left side of the kite goes down when inverted, right thumb forward on the right handle. which is the exact same input if the kite is LE up, and the left side goes lower than the right. So looking at the kite, forget for a moment, LE up or LE down, the control inputs to bring the low side level with the right are the same whether you are LE up or LE down. Hey, this makes it really easy, since this is the correction that you have to immediately make when you go off wings level, or whatever left right attitude you are trying to maintain.

The second conclusion, which is much more obvious, is for forward-reverse, or slide left and right, control inputs there are reversed or opposite LE up, when LE is past level and pointed down. This makes in really simple in my opinion. Within about 30 minutes, I was able to go to the top of the window, descend at a slow rate controlled rate , LE level while descending, not sliding either left or right, and land softly, flat,   on the leading edge.

Now I have to work on maintaining a level inverted hover for long periods. The wind was very gusty today, averaging around 14 mph gusting to over 20, so I will wait for a more consistent wind speed to work on a solid inverted hover. 

I really think much of flying the REV is thinking about what you are doing as you fly it, figuring out what you are doing wrong, and correcting it, and trying again. It's a fun learning experience. I do much talking to myself while learning the Rev, but hey, I can remember doing the same thing when I was practicing for my Pilots License.  

AKA member

#84 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

A quad doesn't go left or right, i spins on it's center (clockwise or anti-CW).

The correct practice session right now for you is the leading resting on the ground and you back it up.   With enough hours you can do this to the top of the wind window, like it was riding on railroad tracks.  This will take many hundreds or thousands of hours to perfect.  Every kite can go slow downwind to crash (or land softly, it's still just going forward though isn't it?)

Please ignore forward drive entirely, work on reverse flight instead, otherwise you are not using the kite to it's full potential.  It is easier to control & predict plus more stable in fight INVERTED.  You don't chase children in a stroller or land on someone's head with the leading edge facing anyway but down!

I want to see slow descending control (and then rising it back up again) at the same speed and kite orientation.

With reverse control you can fly in any direction, hovering is just your neutral (your naturally resting position), the handles can be balanced on one finger in each hand and the kite is completely rock-solid stationary.  (the location of this balance point is why leaders are used on the flying line-handle point connection)

#85 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

A quad doesn't go left or right, i spins on it's center (clockwise or anti-CW).

The correct practice session right now for you is the leading resting on the ground and you back it up.   With enough hours you can do this to the top of the wind window, like it was riding on railroad tracks.  This will take many hundreds or thousands of hours to perfect.  Every kite can go slow downwind to crash (or land softly, it's still just going forward though isn't it?)

Please ignore forward drive entirely, work on reverse flight instead, otherwise you are not using the kite to it's full potential.  It is easier to control & predict plus more stable in fight INVERTED.  You don't chase children in a stroller or land on someone's head with the leading edge facing anyway but down!

I want to see slow descending control (and then rising it back up again) at the same speed and kite orientation.

With reverse control you can fly in any direction, hovering is just your neutral (your naturally resting position), the handles can be balanced on one finger in each hand and the kite is completely rock-solid stationary.  (the location of this balance point is why leaders are used on the flying line-handle point connection)

Had some good steady wind today, for a change  Eventually,made about 10 climbs to the top of the window, inverted. Started out climbing to about 10 feet, and then gradually increased it. Prior to doing this I adjusted the trim on my Rev B, with alot more down, top leaders all the way out on the last knot.  ani_victory.gif

AKA member

#86 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

Excellent progress Bob, keep it up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users