Adjusting for reverse flight

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:22 PM

I'm more concerned that my best man was called Julian and comes from Staines but I lost touch with him... Hmmm!!!

Bad news is Jeepster is right ..... we have all been where you are now!! ... the only thing to add is read the threads about handle leaders and using more break... Not sure what kite/handles you have but going to maximum break on my standard B-series handles has transformed the way I fly and in particular makes reverse flight natural an inverted hovers easier then upright!

oh and Welcome onboard!

Sorry that I've been absent for so long! I've been a best man so it can't be me. I went to Abbotsford county secondary at the end of the seventies. Makes me feel old!!
I've really got hold of inverted flight now. I've also got a vented and love it! I really feel the two versions are very different. In a strong wind the vented is like caressing a woman whilst the non-vented is like riding a horse! I know which I prefer: and I'm not into equitation or beastiality! The knot positions are really helpful and make flying much more pleasurable with top line 2nd knot in.

Thanks to all that commented on my initial question.

Jules

#42 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

BTW, Row 3, Column 3 ... is that the kite I was supposed to have?

hi Tom,
Row 3, column 3 is Purkle, not Leela which is the kite you desire sooooooo :unsure:

Jonesey> I also find with so much brake on for reverse is fine... and hence your experience with forward upright hovering is harder,
kinda makes sense really.

I have to put on more forward drive on the upper lines to compensate for the extra brake.

Jules> Glad you've finally locked into the inverted stuff :)
1 of the 47.

#43 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:36 PM

hi Tom,
Row 3, column 3 is Purkle, not Leela which is the kite you desire sooooooo :unsure:

Hmmm. That means that I've been coveting something that I already have! My first kite was a non-vented Purple B-series. Darn!

So, how about Purkle's sister ... is Leela available for dating?

Cheers,
Tom

#44 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:55 AM

Hmmm. That means that I've been coveting something that I already have!
My first kite was a non-vented Purple B-series. Darn!

So, how about Purkle's sister ... is Leela available for dating?

You're already onto a winner without even realising it :lol:

I'd have to ask Leela... but wasn't it Purkle you were really interested in ? ;)

More brake,
more drive..... but how :confused!:
1 of the 47.

#45 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

More brake,
more drive..... but how

With more brake, the kite is 'grabbing' more of the wind.
You need to be more aggressive with powering the sail up. as you don't get much forward drive until the leading edge bends.

Less brake lets more wind bleed off, the sail has less pressure and the leading edge doesn't bend as much = less drive.

There is a point where the brake is too aggressive in light winds where you cannot pump/back up fast enough to sustain drive, so reducing brake can help.

It's Physics too: a tall and lanky person with longer arms has a mechanical advantage over someone of a smaller stature. B)

#46 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:56 AM

It's Physics too: a tall and lanky person with longer arms has a mechanical advantage over someone of a smaller stature. B)

Tell me about it Steve ;)

It's more of a problem (for moi) in the stronger winds.

Hoping to get around to making a mega vented kite, but that doesn't really help with the forward momentum does it ? :confused!:

still when it gets too much for team flying on such days, I can always get out your olde rev 2 for a spin :sq-thumbs:
1 of the 47.

#47 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for the encouragement Choccy! I have the same Rev as you too! I've just ammended my profile with a photo of it & me.

I really find flying in lighter winds much more pleasant. I don't mean so light you're struggling to keep it in the air but when the wind is strong, even with storng wrists and arms the kite just takes off very quickly with the slightest extra gust. I also wonder if there's a diifernet quality to a seabreeze and inland continental depression type winds. Acheiving the kind of stuff that we all hanker after on the You tube videos of iQuad and Les Flics seems like pie flying in the sky to me!

Speaking of those incredibles videos have you checked these two guys out?

I love this guys style. It's vivacious, upbeat, original and dynamic.

http://fr.youtube.co...h?v=1SW_l5gLRwo

This second guy moves from graceful to quick, with precision and style. I love the horizontal pirouette slide at around 1' 14".

http://fr.youtube.co...h?v=vLyZkcJG8Sk

What do you think?

CU and take care,

Jules

#48 WarpSpeed

WarpSpeed
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:33 AM

Well I'm amazed at how much conversation that generated!

Thanks to everyone for their personal replies. It seems my Bridle position is normal and I'm pleased that 10 and a 1/2 inches is standard for a Rev pilot down below!!

I have seen the error of my ways and promise to practice and stop making excuses.

Here's Watty's comprehensive reply, although I would like to thank everyone who wrote to me:

There are three things that you could do to help with your problem.

1. Check your handles. What handles are you using? Did they come with a 1.5, B-Series, rev 1, etc? You can make adjustments by tying knots on the thick line attached to the handles, then pulling back the top or bottom lines. These thick lines are called pigtails. If you pull the bottom lines back farther, you will have more break, and if you pull the top lines farther back, you will have more thrust. Mess around with different adjustments to find what suits you.

2. Reverse is all about technique. Less is more. If you try and man-handle the kite in reverse, it will over-control (the wings will flip out and the kite will do some weird thing where you cant control it until it hits the ground). When reversing to to top of the wind window (The area of sky that you are able to fly in) it does become much difficult, especially in lighter winds. What I do to reverse to the top of the window is spin my hands so my thumbs are down, and pinkies are up, then lead the kite up.

3. The most important thing is practice. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Everything comes in time.

All of that was very helpful and I'm very grateful.

I'm using a 1.5 B series with all the 'pigtrails' and after trying 'Last knot on top and bottom', I moved the top line to the second knot which felt comfortable for me.
The wind was very light today so I flew with the two wrap spars. Although there was sometimes not really enough wind, I felt that a light breeze was better for learning: it gives you more time and sensitivity. What I also noticed was that when the kite's panoeuvres were executed cleanly the sail kept taught and this greatly helped in keeping it stable upside down. I still had problems keeping it inverted all the time, also form staying high but did manage to reverse it up on several occasions. I estimate the wind speed was around 5 mph today. The last time I flew it was around 20 mph which was a little too strong!! So, I'm looking forward to having a nice moderate wind to practise in.

Just in case this interests any of you I like this site to get a wind forecast.

http://www.windfinder.de/

Clicking on the map in the right places takes right ot where you need!! Very nice.

Cheers,

Jules

God does not deduct the hours from a person's life that they spend flying a Kite....

#49 WarpSpeed

WarpSpeed
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:42 AM

Sorry there a little Trigger happy or is that Tigger Happy ;)

Great link Jules to the wind info. I also use on the Solent(Southern England) for my sailing and kite flying checks

http://www.cowesharb...er.com/weather/

Nice near real time dashboard

Also for MPH, KNOTS and Beaufort scale conversions i use the following
http://www.british-w...d_converter.htm

Happy thanksggiving to all our Stateside friends
God does not deduct the hours from a person's life that they spend flying a Kite....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users