• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 RescueRev

RescueRev
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

Rev fliers,

I just watched a video of John B flying said kite in a field on very short lines and what looked like very little wind. The trees in the background appear steady which indicates to me little to no wind. The web address is http://video.google....688913625085784 if you would like to watch the video. It is well worth watching. My question is why would you fly a vented kite in those conditions? What am I missing?
RescueRev

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:18 PM

The vents give the kite more of a smooth feeling. They smooth out gusts, and also slightly change the characteristics of the kite. Personally, I find it easier to do things like flic-flacs and axels with a vented kite.

Also, There is a topic here and on kitelife where John posted that video not too long ago. There may be some usefull information for you in those topics.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:26 PM

Here's that thread...

http://www.revkites....?showtopic=1328

I was out testing the new mid-vent, wind was 3-6 mph (per the opening credits in the video). ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 RescueRev

RescueRev
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

Here's that thread...

http://www.revkites....?showtopic=1328

I was out testing the new mid-vent, wind was 3-6 mph (per the opening credits in the video). ;)

Hi John,
I noticed the 3-6mph when I watched it again. I don't know how I missed it the first time. Must have been to busy stearing at the kite:) I have got to learn to fly my 1.5 like that. Would you recommend getting a vented Rev? I wish I could make the Rev clinic in July but I will be out of area. If other Rev clinics come up in the Pacific Nothwest I would gladly travel many miles to attend.

RescueRev

#5 RescueRev

RescueRev
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

The vents give the kite more of a smooth feeling. They smooth out gusts, and also slightly change the characteristics of the kite. Personally, I find it easier to do things like flic-flacs and axels with a vented kite.

Also, There is a topic here and on kitelife where John posted that video not too long ago. There may be some usefull information for you in those topics.

Hi Watty,

Thanks for the quick input. I believe If I vent my 1.5 with a 45 it still won't smooth it out:) I have only flown my 1.5 about 8 times but have managed to fly it in reverse across the wind window about one out of every 5 tries. I love this kite because you cane chalange yourself every time you fly the kite.
RescueRev

#6 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

What do you mean "with a 45"? I'm not sure what you mean there, but vents just allow better and smoother air travel through the kite. Have you flown a vented side by side with a std? Aside from the pull (because if you are flying both the wind is probably either a bit heavy for the std, or a bit light for the vtd.) there is a noticeable difference.

On a related topic, even on the std kites there is venting on the LE witch gives smoother reverse flight. The only models that I know of that do not have this are the rev Indoors.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#7 RescueRev

RescueRev
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:32 PM

What do you mean "with a 45"? I'm not sure what you mean there, but vents just allow better and smoother air travel through the kite. Have you flown a vented side by side with a std? Aside from the pull (because if you are flying both the wind is probably either a bit heavy for the std, or a bit light for the vtd.) there is a noticeable difference.

On a related topic, even on the std kites there is venting on the LE witch gives smoother reverse flight. The only models that I know of that do not have this are the rev Indoors.

I was kidding around with the 45 remark. I was referring to a 45 pistol:) Because no matter what I do. My kites will never fly like John B's if I shoot them or not:) But it is a truck load of fun trying to fly like that.
So far I have never flown a vented Rev. I was thinking of buying one for when I travel to the beach (NewPort, OR) and the winds are high. My std Rev 1.5 can pull pretty good in high winds. So I was thinking a vented Rev would be easier to fly in high winds.

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:42 PM

This past weekend's clinic in Seaside, we spent the better part of Saturday on 4-wrap vented B's, with 150# line to make them very controllable.

Wind was probably 15-20 mph?

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#9 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:48 PM

Since everyone has Steve on a mission in another thread I have 1 for John.

OK here goes, I plan on getting that midvent anyhow but here are 2 things I'd like to see from John.

1 maybe some street flying ultra low wind and let us know what you think.

2 heres the good one I'm curious if this kite would work at all indoors.

Your mission is set if you choose to accept, very curious as to the outcome of at least the low wind street flying.

Good Luck, hope all goes well :sign_kitelife:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#10 RescueRev

RescueRev
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:52 PM

This past weekend's clinic in Seaside, we spent the better part of Saturday on 4-wrap vented B's, with 150# line to make them very controllable.

Wind was probably 15-20 mph?

I am hoping I can attend the next clinic. Do you know when that might be? As you know I live in Albany, OR and I am willing to travel to attend.

#11 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:46 PM

Jim, I can tell you now, I'm confident about my ability to fly the mid-vent (or any factory Rev for that matter, except the Supersonic) in pretty much any wind condition, but it would be a heck of a lot of work for a vented Rev, and require near constant motion... There's a point where it's just not worth it.

The mid-vent would be underpowered, and imho, totally pointless indoors or on the street.

Even if I actually tried it, I'm pretty sure my response would be the same.

Sounds like a shoot down when I reread that, but it's not intended that way. :innocent:

==

RescueRev, not sure when the next clinic will be... As soon as possible, for sure.

The hard part is, I don't really have a weekend opening in my schedule until November. :blushing:

iQuad or myself (alone) are attending events on nearly every single weekend until then.

John Barresi

#12 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

Jim, I can tell you now, I'm confident about my ability to fly the mid-vent (or any factory Rev for that matter, except the Supersonic) in pretty much any wind condition, but it would be a heck of a lot of work for a vented Rev, and require near constant motion... There's a point where it's just not worth it.

The mid-vent would be underpowered, and imho, totally pointless indoors or on the street.

Even if I actually tried it, I'm pretty sure my response would be the same.

Sounds like a shoot down when I reread that, but it's not intended that way. :innocent:

Thats a fair enough answer, I figured if anyone could fly it under those conditions it would be you and I agree sounds like work but as nicely as that handled in 3-6 and I usually fly a reg vented in that speed man I gotta at least try (stubborn).

And it's my confidence in your abilities for the reason i'm asking you :kid_content:

Thanks for the reply you pretty much came to the conclusion I was expecting was just "hoping" for another :kid_devlish:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#13 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:17 PM

I was kidding around with the 45 remark. I was referring to a 45 pistol:) Because no matter what I do. My kites will never fly like John B's if I shoot them or not:) But it is a truck load of fun trying to fly like that.
So far I have never flown a vented Rev. I was thinking of buying one for when I travel to the beach (NewPort, OR) and the winds are high. My std Rev 1.5 can pull pretty good in high winds. So I was thinking a vented Rev would be easier to fly in high winds.

Ohhhhh!!! Gotcha'! I'm no longer confused.. thank you. :blue_wink:

Spence "Watty" Watson

#14 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

You know Mr. Rescue, if we start trying to fly pairs with your 1.5's you could end up with a vented kite :ani_whistling:

Dean :ani_punk:

#15 RescueRev

RescueRev
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:06 PM

You know Mr. Rescue, if we start trying to fly pairs with your 1.5's you could end up with a vented kite :ani_whistling:

I can't think of a cheaper way to get a vented 1.5 so your on :kid_devlish:

RescueRev

#16 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:10 PM

:w00t: so if it's my fault it's a gift?

#17 RescueRev

RescueRev
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:47 PM

:w00t: so if it's my fault it's a gift?

Ok it will be a gift but knowing my luck it will come wrapped in string but no paper :big_bangin:

#18 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

Only if you close your eyes as it happens and hold that pose till I get away. :kid_devlish:

#19 RescueRev

RescueRev
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

Only if you close your eyes as it happens and hold that pose till I get away. :kid_devlish:

If it is the kite that I am flying I will be glad to hold that pose. You run will only last for 85 feet :mf_party:

#20 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:11 PM

:w00t: I won't remind you that, that is what stakes are for. Blunt force trauma, stabbing, holding your lines....

Dean B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users