11 replies to this topic

#1 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:53 PM

I have tightened the sail to the point of any more tightening is going to tear the sail. I have pig tails on the handles that allow for all forward (light wind) or so much brake that you can't take off without the bottom tips of the handles being above the top tow points on the handles, which means it WON'T take off. I have sucked the bridel in and out trying to find a medium and still the kite doesn't fly in reverse or sideways. Backwards in high wind (over the limit) is possible but not controllable. Doesn't matter what the wind is like, side slides are no where near controllable if they even happen. Basically my Rev 1 is a two line kite that has brakes. WOO HOO!!! But thats not the point since it don't do all the tricks my duallies do.
The 1.5 may be a different story as I have maybe 10 minutes on RescueRev's 1.5's. He has one with 2 wrap Pro Rods and one SLE. Both in my opinion are better than my Rev 1. But the Rev 1 is SUPPOSED to be more precise and controllable. I know it's also slower. But after 6 years, thats about too dog gone slow(cause I'm from the west and probably considered a hill billy compared to all the eropeeons on here :P come on, that was funny), if ya know what I mean. Considering that the 1.5 with the 2 wrap rods in 4 to 7mph out performs my Rev 1 in 15 mph winds, I'm needless (I hope) to say not happy and getting urinated. (for John B.'s benifit :rolleyes: , see I'm choosing words now ;) )

Getting frustrated and still broke as a thrown shoe race horse?

Still the village idiot,

Dean :ani_punk:

P.S. Maybe I just need to be shot???

#2 ian4c

ian4c

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:07 AM

I have tightened the sail to the point of any more tightening is going to tear the sail. I have pig tails on the handles that allow for all forward (light wind) or so much brake that you can't take off without the bottom tips of the handles being above the top tow points on the handles, which means it WON'T take off. I have sucked the bridel in and out trying to find a medium and still the kite doesn't fly in reverse or sideways. Backwards in high wind (over the limit) is possible but not controllable. Doesn't matter what the wind is like, side slides are no where near controllable if they even happen. Basically my Rev 1 is a two line kite that has brakes. WOO HOO!!! But thats not the point since it don't do all the tricks my duallies do.
The 1.5 may be a different story as I have maybe 10 minutes on RescueRev's 1.5's. He has one with 2 wrap Pro Rods and one SLE. Both in my opinion are better than my Rev 1. But the Rev 1 is SUPPOSED to be more precise and controllable. I know it's also slower. But after 6 years, thats about too dog gone slow(cause I'm from the west and probably considered a hill billy compared to all the eropeeons on here :P come on, that was funny), if ya know what I mean. Considering that the 1.5 with the 2 wrap rods in 4 to 7mph out performs my Rev 1 in 15 mph winds, I'm needless (I hope) to say not happy and getting urinated. (for John B.'s benifit :rolleyes: , see I'm choosing words now ;) )

Getting frustrated and still broke as a thrown shoe race horse?

Still the village idiot,

P.S. Maybe I just need to be shot???

Well you are right Dean. I flew my Rev 1 and Rev1 Vented. No fun at all after flying the 1.5's.

I am considering moving both of them into retirement!

You need the 1.5 B and B vented. Will 100% cover your needs.

Ian

'P.S. Maybe I just need to be shot???' No not you. Try put a 12 bore shotgun to them. May fly better.

#3 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:06 AM

That's really odd. I've flown old Rev Is and haven't had the same problems.
Please forgive me for asking such a simple question, but do you have the vertical spars on the back of the sail and not in front?
They do fly funny when the spars are on the front of the sail.

#4 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:28 AM

Saw this post this am and wanted to get in it, I spent this weekend out there with my old Rev1 and it was just as I had
remembered, slow and full of grace.......I have spent many hours with both of these kites and they both have there
place in my bag, but as always I find that the Rev 1 is for when I really wanted to relax and just enjoy the day.... :kid_smartass: My kite of choice is the B series but it's all about how I feel on any given day....Ben :blue-cool:

#5 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

That's really odd. I've flown old Rev Is and haven't had the same problems.
Please forgive me for asking such a simple question, but do you have the vertical spars on the back of the sail and not in front?
They do fly funny when the spars are on the front of the sail.

Yes the vertical spars are on the back where they're supposed to be. :kid_brooding:
Tech support always ask the dumbest questions that make sense. :w00t:

#6 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:25 AM

I love to fly my Rev 1s. I keep my Sedgwick set up with 2 wrap frame and the UL bridle so I fly it on days when there is almost no wind. I amazes me every time I take it out. I like it best on longer lines so I can do lazy moves across the sky.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#7 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:27 AM

Sorry for asking the question, but just wanted to eliminate that possibility.
I've been doing computer "support" for my Mom and I've learned not to make assumptions.
She thought the monitor was the computer and the beige box under the desk was the power supply. :rolleyes:

#8 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:53 PM

OK i'll take a stab at this first I need to know 1 thing.

Does (or did) your Rev 1 have big barrel swivels on the top connect point of the bridle ??

This will make more sense later if it did or does.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#9 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

OK i'll take a stab at this first I need to know 1 thing.

Does (or did) your Rev 1 have big barrel swivels on the top connect point of the bridle ??

This will make more sense later if it did or does.

Nope, no barrel connectors. I want to rerod it so I can use it for zero to little wind situations. Lighten the bridel. Maybe that'll make a difference. I have seen other Rev 1's flown and just can't figure out why mine doesn't act the same. For a long time I thought it was just me, till in attempting bridelless flight I noticed that every knot on the bridel was between a half to one inch different from the other side. Since evening everything out it's alot more controllable. I've been thinking about making new leaders for the handles. That might help, but don't know till I try it. I do know I need longer handles. All I have now are the 10"ers. Who knows, maybe I'm just over controlling it.

Dean

#10 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

Sorry for asking the question, but just wanted to eliminate that possibility.
I've been doing computer "support" for my Mom and I've learned not to make assumptions.
She thought the monitor was the computer and the beige box under the desk was the power supply. :rolleyes:

Kind of figured you were a Tech Supporter with the question above. I've heard one of the first questions you ask is if the computer is plugged in and turned on. :rolleyes:
It's set up right, just need to keep trial and erroring the darned thing. Just trying to avoid giving the altimatum of "fly or get broke"

Dean

#11 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:09 PM

Seems to me you have bridle issues with that kite.

Not sure what area your from if you can meet up with someone that has one or just order a replacement they are pretty cheap you should be OK.

10" handles are a bit short for a Rev 1 that could also be giving you problems those are primarily for the Rev II and the speed series are their top to bottom lengths are shorter then a standard 1.5 or even more so a rev 1.

Good Luck man I hope you sort it out Rev 1's are fun even though they do steer like a truck.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#12 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

I hope I get it figured out too.
I think the plan is to get some lighter rod sets, lighter bridel, lighter lines and longer handles. Until today I had never thought about all the old flights my bridel took not only in high wind, (20+) but also the stacking of my fathers and mine. Oops. :blushing: Stacked in high wind only. Don't know why I never thought of that. 2 Rev 1's in 20+ is a bit of a tug.
Remembering those days I remember the stack flew backwards just fine. :P
Since my father doesn't fly anymore I'll have to stack'em for a pic or two to post on here. Being the same colors only reversed was real pretty.
While I'm at it I'll fly his to see if it fly's like it's supposed too. That will tell me alot I think. His only saw big wind once or twice and has only been flown maybe 5 times other than being the second kite in a stack. So the bridel shouldn't be stretched to the point of mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users