60 replies to this topic

#41 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:56 AM

baby REVs are so much fun, they can be created to fly in zero wind or taken out when the coast guard refuses to even leave the port!

Harold Ames (KiteSquid) created a few stacks back in 2000. They were made as a no-sew sails around a 42 inch Skyshark 2P spine. To reinforce 'em for higher winds you simply inserted a point 125 tube inside the Skyshark frame leading edge.

They also featured a system of train lines that floated independently, attached directly to the bridle as opposed to the frame's end-caps on each kite.

You can slowly walk a 360 with 'em inverted on 100 foot lines.

The control motion of your handles is only the width of your thumbs. As sensitive as they are they are not difficult to fly, but you can see your heartbeat in the lines and you have to remember to breath <LOL>

He spread them around amongst a few friends on a long term, non-refundable deposit to cover his material costs. We try to fly a few stacks together as a team several times a year. Nobody has more fun than the pilots!

In a big wind they become bumblebees on amphetamine, imagine a couple of dozen wraps in less than a second. You can also fly them when it's calm as a slow graceful example of your pilot skills.

John Barresi pronounced them as the finest flying babies he's ever handled when he flew 'em last year at the Wildwood Rev seminar sponsored by Brad Weiner.

KiteSquid made the template out of 1/2 inch thick aluminum stock when he was in the Navy's Service. WOW spent the whole summer testing and perfecting 'em. I guess I should pull them out again and see exactly what they need to be pristine all over again. I'm sure the oh-rings have all failed and should be replaced with bungie (more damn knots?!)

Attached Thumbnails

• 12_pack_stack.jpg

#42 chuck3

chuck3
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

hydra i dont think your the only one that would like to see a 3 foot rev. If i remember correctly Choccy doesn't like alot of pull so she might like it as well. it would do well over in England where summer winds are fast as anything. It would definitely be a high wind kite though.

On a side note: Chuck (chuck3)'s brother made a 40 inch rev that he planned on indoor/light wind flying with if i recall the conversation with him at the cabin right. S.U.L R/C plane carbon.

i would love seeing a 3 foot rev for high wind. could even make a vented model :lol:

My brother revolution is 48 inches.....its been test flowned and were still experimenting......
next is a 60" Revolution That my brother wants to make vented...
chuck

#43 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:37 PM

baby REVs are so much fun, they can be created to fly in zero wind or taken out when the coast guard refuses to even leave the port!

Harold Ames (KiteSquid) created a few stacks back in 2000. They were made as a no-sew sails around a 42 inch Skyshark 2P spine. To reinforce 'em for higher winds you simply inserted a point 125 tube inside the Skyshark frame leading edge.

They also featured a system of train lines that floated independently, attached directly to the bridle as opposed to the frame's end-caps on each kite.

You can slowly walk a 360 with 'em inverted on 100 foot lines.

The control motion of your handles is only the width of your thumbs. As sensitive as they are they are not difficult to fly, but you can see your heartbeat in the lines and you have to remember to breath <LOL>

He spread them around amongst a few friends on a long term, non-refundable deposit to cover his material costs. We try to fly a few stacks together as a team several times a year. Nobody has more fun than the pilots!

In a big wind they become bumblebees on amphetamine, imagine a couple of dozen wraps in less than a second. You can also fly them when it's calm as a slow graceful example of your pilot skills.

John Barresi pronounced them as the finest flying babies he's ever handled when he flew 'em last year at the Wildwood Rev seminar sponsored by Brad Weiner.

KiteSquid made the template out of 1/2 inch thick aluminum stock when he was in the Navy's Service. WOW spent the whole summer testing and perfecting 'em. I guess I should pull them out again and see exactly what they need to be pristine all over again. I'm sure the oh-rings have all failed and should be replaced with bungie (more damn knots?!)

*squeals*.. wow.. that's a sweet stack.

#44 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:28 PM

Oh don't let her fool you 1 bit.

Here's proof she can handle a kite and a 5.5 to boot :kid_devlish:

It was a fluke, honest, lasted all of 1 minute ;)

S.> 16 stone *ahem*
I think you'll find the 24th May was the day we were *all* dragged up the hill by the gusts!
Major jumping over the revbags trick!
That was the only time we gave up and retreated to the pub to work on the theory (who says we take things way too seriously?) *hic* :o

(always let go of the kite) :lol:

nice stack guys.... has anyone done a monochrome solid sail gradation stack I wonder ?

still looking out for some really deep purple (not magenta) ripstock to make a rev II to stack with Little Red :kid_content:
1 of the 47.

#45 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:40 PM

It was a fluke, honest, lasted all of 1 minute ;)

S.> 16 stone *ahem*
I think you'll find the 24th May was the day we were *all* dragged up the hill by the gusts!
Major jumping over the revbags trick!
That was the only time we gave up and retreated to the pub to work on the theory (who says we take things way too seriously?) *hic* :o

(always let go of the kite) :lol:

nice stack guys.... has anyone done a monochrome solid sail gradation stack I wonder ?

still looking out for some really deep purple (not magenta) ripstock to make a rev II to stack with Little Red :kid_content:

Give Martin Lester a call. He might be able to lead you in the right direction.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#46 Robert

Robert
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:42 AM

We are having nasty weather for the last while, and as I was getting desperate to fly, then I read hear about mini revs.

I took old single spars, packing tape, odds and ends, and scrap plastic sheeting. Half an hour later I have a mini "rev".

Please take no notice of the looks (if that is what it is :confused!: ) I just wanted to see if it could work.

I flew it this afternoon (on 15 meter lines) in a wind gusting from zero to 35 kph. This was major fun. If I make small handles (I was using standard rev handles) I think it will fly pretty well, even so it is a looooong time since I laughed so much just from the fun I was having. These are a must have :)

No I want to get some more made up so that I can at last get some one to fly with. Anyone who flies one of these is going to end up with a rev.

Thank

Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• Plastic_bag_rev.jpg

If you are not having fun - you are doing it worng.

I'm not going to get old - it takes too long.

#47 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

How about a revamped Rev I, with "B" tweaks built in?

I imagine it'd turn out to be one of the best SUL kites ever made.

Just an idea, getting a reading from y'all. ;)

In Sydney now, on my way back from Red Bull... Home in roughly 24 hours.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#48 deebs1596

deebs1596

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

correct me if im wrong but isnt that basically what a sedgewick rev I is?
----Dan-----

lost in thought or lost in a field... either way send a search party

i fly what i can and stare at what i cant.

#49 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

Mmmm, a Mid-Vented B-Series Rev I with Race Rods... :blue-love:

#50 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

The Sedgwick Series has no "tweaks" per se...

It's a Rev I with better panel layout (visually and aerodynamically), but the specs are effectively identical.

I'm not at liberty to discuss the tweaks I have in mind just now, but suffice it to say, performance would improve. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#51 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:15 PM

I've actually considered asking Lolly about that, Maybe in a midvent :kid_smartass:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#52 deebs1596

deebs1596

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:24 PM

The Sedgwick Series has no "tweaks" per se...

It's a Rev I with better panel layout (visually and aerodynamically), but the specs are effectively identical.

I'm not at liberty to discuss the tweaks I have in mind just now, but suffice it to say, performance would improve. ;)

ahh now i see, i never really understood the difference between a b series and a sedgwick.

The rev I would look pretty good in a B layout.
then after a rev I b-series rev could make a signature rev II...just a thought though

i would definitely order a rev I b series- might have to think of a different name for it or people might get confused when u say "i flew the b-series today"
----Dan-----

#53 chuck3

chuck3
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:56 AM

I would deffiently order a Rev 1 B-series too....Now that kite would be a great team kite.....Imagine a mid-vented Rev 1 B-series with Race-Rods? I would enjoy that very much.....
chuck

#54 Robert

Robert
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

Hi all,

After the first day of decent wind in ages, I'm weary after 5 hours of flying revs today - I just love the feeling.

I started with an hour on the mini rev, an then with great reluctance went over to the 1.5. The mini rev is just so much fun, pretty much indestructible. I was flying on standard handles and 50 ft 90 kg lines, far from perfect, but the baby handled it fine, Wind varied from 7kph to about 25 kph - again no problem.

The cost if I had to but the goods would be less than R100.00 (aprox $10 US) without lines, or handles.

The price of a Rev 1.5 SLE before the financial problems was over $3 000.00. Now unless you can get second hand, they are totaly unobtainable.

There is no way that I'm going to get a new flier to start with a 1.5 - but if there was a baby rev, that should be quite different.

Rev is really needing a fun, stater kite for the new flier.After the amount of fun that I had today, this is it.

Now that I have played with the plastic bag, I'm doing a 4 ft rip-stop version. I think 4 ft should be just right - as it can go in most cars with a one piece leading edge. If it works I want at least three more, as trainers and as a train (stack).

Oooh I think fun is on the way :D

Thanks

Rob

#55 deebs1596

deebs1596

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:00 AM

Rob, Chuck3's brother flies a 4 foot rev indoors and no wind days. it flies pretty well for what it is. I think the size si great once you get it tweaked right, then its nothing but fun
----Dan-----

#56 Robert

Robert
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:28 AM

Rob, Chuck3's brother flies a 4 foot rev indoors and no wind days. it flies pretty well for what it is. I think the size si great once you get it tweaked right, then its nothing but fun

I was flying it the other day in winds going up 35 kph, and I would be happy with it is much stronger winds - so they seem to do it all :)

#57 Robert

Robert
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:43 AM

Can some one help with an email address for Revolution (the company) as I do not see one on the web page and I have a question I would rather not bring up in the forum.

Thanks

Rob

#58 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:50 AM

Can some one help with an email address for Revolution (the company) as I do not see one on the web page and I have a question I would rather not bring up in the forum.

Thanks

Rob

Just pm Ben user name beach on here, he is the man to sort out your probs
GARY

Posted Image

#59 Robert

Robert
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:05 AM

Just pm Ben user name beach on here, he is the man to sort out your probs

Thanks

Just did that :)

Just strange that there is no email address on the site.

Rob

#60 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:34 AM

Ben has it posted several places on this forum so I'm sure he will not mind. beachbeach13 at yahoo.com

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users