3 replies to this topic

#1 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:13 PM

When tightening the sail on a B vtd or any sail for that matter, how close should the tip of the sail be to the bottom end caps? Same question for the leading edge.

Assume the bottoms should be done first or does it matter?

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:58 PM

When tightening the sail on a B vtd or any sail for that matter, how close should the tip of the sail be to the bottom end caps? Same question for the leading edge.

Assume the bottoms should be done first or does it matter?

That will definitely vary with the age of the sail as it stretches.
My advise is to have the sail tight enough in that it barely touches your finger when you have your finger between the down rod and the sail. If you have two finger widths of space you should consider tightening up a bit with the bungees.
Of course this all relative to each pilots preferences.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:58 PM

As for myself I enjoy a loose sail because I find my self in a lot of floats on the edge of the window and that is
what works for me. John is correct as far as space but its mostly on the flier and how they like to tune there
kite, John B. is always on me for the way that I have my handles set up but this is on how I like things and how
I need to fly on this given day and to tell the truth my handles are standard B series when I fly team or have
to teach....... Yeah John B. you won...... :blue-cool: :blue-cool: :blue-cool: Ben

#4 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:40 PM

i like a really tight sail on all my kites and once my bungees are stretched to their limits i put new ones on and the sail tightens up like brand new.. just be careful not to do it to tight or you can tear therugh the holes on the sail .. a tight sail is great for peformance and light winds .. to me a loose kite doesnt handle like a tight ones does.. loose sails do hover good but thats all their good for .. my blast for example is so tight it feels like its made of hard plastic.. and when i float it it can hold it flat enough so it looks like a black line in the sky ..it is in the end what the flier likes ..some will like tight sails others will like them looser..
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users