81 replies to this topic

#41 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:24 PM

See you all soon and I would love to hear if anyone else has some other ways of setting up that either works really well or that should be avoided like the plague.

Yes I do ... never, ever set up in the same field as Sailor99 .... it will end in tears ...usually mine ;)

#42 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

Having read some of the post recently it looks as though we are all getting geared up ready for the event and we should all have a great time.

<Snip>

See you all soon and I would love to hear if anyone else has some other ways of setting up that either works really well or that should be avoided like the plague.

Practice... When you have unwound the lines and re-wound them 10,000 times, Zen and the art of 'increasing positive probabilities' comes to the rescue.

Please do not mis-understand me in this. In winding the lines make sure that the tension is equal on all of them in order to avoid arguements later....

Flying for fun...

Felix

#43 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

increasing positive probabilities

Outstanding outlook, a way of life, really... With or without lines attached. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#44 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:28 PM

I've really been looking forward to putting faces to the screen names I see on this forum and I'm disappointed to see that some of you may not come. I hope you change your mind. If there are personality clashes, we'll just spread y'all around a bit.
The short fliers can stand next to me to make me look bigger. :blue-grin:

I actually don't think of myself as that small (I'm 5'6"), but I did seem to have a bit more trouble staying upright than the other guys on this windy day:

Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#45 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:51 PM

Ha, too fun... Same event, the day before:

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=uqtM0OpfVnY

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#46 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:43 AM

Now here is an idea that might be fun, tallest on the left, shortest on the right. Form Ranks!

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#47 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:58 AM

Now here is an idea that might be fun, tallest on the left, shortest on the right. Form Ranks!

But I always stand next to Woody makes me look taller lol
GARY

Posted Image

#48 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:21 AM

I've really been looking forward to putting faces to the screen names I see on this forum and I'm disappointed to see that some of you may not come. I hope you change your mind. If there are personality clashes, we'll just spread y'all around a bit.

I wouldn't worry too much Mike. Clashes or not, I think most of us will be there whether taking part in all, some or none of the organised activities. For my part, I will be easy to find. Just look in the bar. If you find me, I will pass you down a pint of beer! ;) ;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#49 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:23 AM

For my part, I will be easy to find. Just look in the bar. If you find me, I will pass you down a pint of beer! ;) ;)

And I'll be the short fat bald bloke stood next to him eating pork scratchings ;)

#50 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:38 AM

And I'll be the short fat bald bloke stood next to him eating pork scratchings ......

.....and playing with a girly phone.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#51 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

Sailor, get the light saber application, and we can duel while we're waiting. <grin>

John Barresi

#52 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:18 PM

This is gona be fun.
I near changed my mind and went all inclusive,
Hand and foot waited on ,to Sunkissed beechs,,ice cold beer,warm nights,sexy ladies and bronzed hunks[treat the mrs],sweet winds that last the whollle,,,,,, day long.100% attention on, the three most wonderfull people breathing,flip flops,my bandanner[i collect bandaners to :rolleyes: ],shorts,kites,1st coffee at 5am,flying at 3mins past,on powdered sands,the sea quietly strokeing the shore,as a the sun wakes the island with a warm gentle kissssss ,as it whispers,,, goodmorning,
KICK BACK, just be ,HOOOO YEEEEEH.

ON THE OTHER HAND

Portsmouth and Bristol

CANT WAIT.....

BTW,S.Hoaths post,its shear Class[no51] ,,

BRIAN...

#53 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:53 PM

So I was thinking about this again today (really should have been auditing those files!) and an idea came to mind.

Trying to go straight in to a mass fly is going to have one or two opportunities for us to overcome, so let's not do it. At both festivals the organisers have kindly provided some dedicated space for Rev flying. Now some of that time the formal teams will need a little practice, and some of the time the group of the formal teams will need to run through the program we are writing for us all but for the rest of the time the space could be used for other things.

So the idea... each formal team adopts 1 or 2 fliers from the people there for the mass fly but who don't have much/any team flying time. They spend about an hour or so going over some (very) basic team figures and getting people used to other fliers and lines all over the place. Lets say that there is space for 2 or 3 teams to do this at the same time. Then those 2 or 3 teams get together for another short session getting the fliers accustomed to having more kites around you.

Then when we all get together for the mass fly (by the way I am working on some really cliche 1980's music for this) there are no surprises and we all have even more fun than we would do and we avoid Sailors 4KM long ball of string!

I do tend to get over excited about my own ideas from time to time so what are the draw backs? Would the formal teams be prepared to do this (The Flying Squad will certainly take part in this)? And for those of you with none or just a little team flying experience, what moves should we consider? Diagonal lines? Moving one space around a box? Threads? Ball and Burst?

Let me know.

Stephen Hoath

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#54 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

Sometimes ya know,i think some of us forget how lucky we are to be flying with top notch people and flyrs everytime we fly almost.and im certainly NOT haveing a go at anyone before ya go on one,whoever ya are.Its not what im after,Please dont get stressed ,who am i to preach.Were kewl,be kewl.

.Sunderland fest had guys ther that couldnt set up AT ALL.Happens all the time at flyins and festivals.Thats not ther fault,they want to learn and do ther best.Wanted to be involved.Some listened,some didnt,hey ho.

Things alot of us take as second nature now,folk at Sunderland didnt know what or how to doit.
Basic line lengths and how to equal them,set up was a big issue and one that does need to be spoken about if ther are people turning up wanting help in that area.Then we need to Help them.
People have to be at a certain level though to fly in a four team,never mind a forty four team.Thats if its to work and not fail.All can be acheived with a smile on your chops.It just so happens that some of the BEST REV pilots in THE WORLD will be on hand to help,a bloody load of um.
Seriously,
I think, just to exspect to be able to turn up and doit ,is in itself a recipe for BIRDS NESTS/
We need some Captains,,captains are asigned some Troops,,Troops drill with captains the pre agreed moves,,.Captains check skill levels of Troops,,Captains report back to General Hoath
Genaral Hoath/ does a half time coffee with captains,away we go again.

This way we all learn,help and benefit.

Exicute the ones that still cant get up to speed[ground crew will be needed]and appreciated im sure.or go fly with people at your level for the short term.

The rest practice,while the dying[executed]watch,learn and grow confidence.Ntxt time it gets easier for them,me,us.When we meet.

Stab vests on now,or off.

BRIAN...No Negative waves man.

#55 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:10 PM

Good move Stephen, for some time now I have been a little concerned that there were several people, and I certainly don’t want to upset anybody by mentioning any names, but there are more than one or two, that appear to have way more confidence than ability.

Nobody need be offended by Stephen’s suggestion or even if they don’t make the cut. Believe me, I know better than most how embarrassing it can be if you over estimate your abilities. A couple of years ago, against my better judgement, I let somebody talk me into stepping forward as the 14th member of an impromptu mega fly at Dunstable festival, apparently Stephen didn’t like 13. I won’t go into details but trust me it was not pretty you really do not want to go there.

I desperately wanted to be part of this celebration but I have to accept that chances are ,I am destined to be Ground Crew.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#56 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:31 AM

All I ask of you all is to remember, it's my sky yes I do own it!!!!!!!!
Tight Lines
Jade

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/

#57 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:37 AM

Also remember it's supposed to be Fun,
Most of us will be there all day so no pressure on setting up the Kites
most will be set up hours before the mega fly and if you have to go do something I'm sure someone will look after a set up kite for whoever
only problem I can see is the ground stakes with all the rubber ducks about!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tight Lines
Jade

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/

#58 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:31 AM

(The Flying Squad will certainly take part in this)?

Oh will we :P ..............Oh I guess so :lol: :lol: Should be a :lol: :lol: :D
GARY

Posted Image

#59 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:00 AM

Also remember it's supposed to be Fun,
Most of us will be there all day so no pressure on setting up the Kites
most will be set up hours before the mega fly and if you have to go do something I'm sure someone will look after a set up kite for whoever
only problem I can see is the ground stakes with all the rubber ducks about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the input Jay. It is a long time since I was a new flier and it easy to forget what that was like. It is very important that all fliers of all experience have a voice.

My suggestion for the adopt a flier scheme was to give people a chance to build in success. If you have flown with four kites, then eight, the fact that there are another 20 kites either side of them is neither here nor there. But you will have more confidence and will be able to enjoy the day even more (I hope). Some people will want to spend time doing this, others wont or indeed won't need to but i hope people will come and at least say hi.

So Jay as a relatively new flier, what moves (mass fly time) excite you and you are comfortable with and what moves would send you running to the bar? (form a queue behind Sailor!)

Please come to the Dunstable festival and we can have a chat and maybe even try a few things. Even if all we do is eliminate movese that won't work that would be helpful.

See you on Sunday?

Stephen Hoath

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#60 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:21 AM

I desperately wanted to be part of this celebration but I have to accept that chances are ,I am destined to be Ground Crew.

Same here. How many more ground crew volunteers needed? (Portsmouth only)

CAVEAT: can turn kites over, walk 'em back, etc. but dealing with 36 x 4 line birds nests is a bit beyond me..... :sign_kitelife:
Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users