81 replies to this topic

#21 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:51 AM

We do not want to have people needing to be in two places at once, that is watching the 'formal team-mega fly' and needing to prepare for the 'mass rev ascension'. For Bristol it has been suggested that the 'formal team-mega fly' would be the final programmed event. Maybe the 'mass rev ascension' should occur just before the 'formal team-mega fly' and be followed by the 'Team 36' proposal.

I would strongly recommend that the 'mass rev ascension' be the last event of the day.

1. The clean up afterwards has a tendency to cut into other scheduled events.
2. Mass Rev ascension pilots will likely learn a lot from observing the "pros".
3. The mass ascension is liable to end up taking quite a bit of field.

Besides, in the spirit of things... Everyone puts the final touch on the anniversary event.

The "pros" do their show, then the floor opens up for everyone, just like the end of a good TV show.

All the players come out, interact with audience members, etc.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#22 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:00 AM

I also need to be free to take photos of the professional megafly.

So there would need to be an interlude to allow you time to put your kites away safely... or at least to 'park' them in the designated Rev arena.

I think it really is going to depend on the field layout!

Felix

#23 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:24 AM

So there would need to be an interlude to allow you time to put your kites away safely... or at least to 'park' them in the designated Rev arena.

I think it really is going to depend on the field layout!

If the pros go on first then there will not be so much of a problem with parking our revs out of the way.
But would need time to go and collect set up rev (if not done so already) to join in the informal ascension ;)

It's good to think things through and plan for this special event.
Thank you for your time in this matter.
1 of the 47.

#24 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:40 PM

A Mexican Wave sounds like fun, I’ll have a piece of that.

Up until now, I have resisted the temptation to step forward, as the problem with mega-flies is, the bigger the team the greater the skill level required to cope with the increased traffic, and to be honest I don’t think I have either the skill or the experience to cope with a big mega-fly.

However, a Mexican wave, I think I can handle that without making a total tit of myself. So yes please, count me in.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#25 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

I think with the hovering and tuning aspects of our iQuad clinic in Portsmouth, a number of pilots will find they have more capacity than they thought. ;)

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#26 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

Skunky sends his apoligies for not being on here for a while.
My fault (indirectly) sent him a pm and it knocked his account out, so as soon as he gets it sorted he'll be back.
Tight Lines
Jade

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/

#27 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

I'm just an email away, if he needs help with getting his account squared away. ;)

John Barresi

#28 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

<snip>

Besides, in the spirit of things... Everyone puts the final touch on the anniversary event.

<snip>

John, I am very 'happy' with this suggestion as it fits in with what had been suggested at Bristol.
I will check the agenda at Portsmouth and see if we can do the same.

We will have to negociate the few minutes needed for the film crews/photographers to switch roles.

Best wishes

Felix

#29 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:53 PM

Me and the rest of the iQuad boys can help wrangle kites and pilots during the changeover as well.

For those reading, if you remember nothing else for a typical Rev mega fly... Focus on these three things:

1. Keep your kite on the ground while everyone is getting situated, nothing can create havoc like one kite messing around and taking out a whole flock.
2. KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR KITE while it is grounded, and if you do take your eyes off, be sure you're 100% keen on the right handle position to stay down.
3. Own thy hover, when in doubt, it's usually a safe bet to stop and hold position while you sort it out... Even tangled, two or more kites can often hover and fidget free.

The key is to keep everyone stable and grounded during set up... It may seem like nothing to take off and do a spin or two, but remember, just like driving, sometimes it's not you... Sometimes it's the other drivers! Then, it's another 5-20 minutes of set up time added. ;)

John Barresi

#30 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:21 AM

What JB said, all those points are so true.

I know it's hard not to get over excited by the moment but it really is best to stay safe and still.

time is precious.
1 of the 47.

#31 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:52 AM

I'm just an email away, if he needs help with getting his account squared away.

Thanks John, I have passed the message on :)
Tight Lines
Jade

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/

#32 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:56 AM

I could not support it if it compromises our friends from America who are spending their hard earned cash and time to come and see us.

I'm coming all the way from America to fly with all the rev fliers! I'd be disappointed if I wasn't able to fly in a big ol' public mega-fly in addition to the "pro" mega-fly. I can't wait to come and play with everyone!
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#33 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:57 AM

Count me in, informal freestyle Rev flying with both old and new friend's sound's brilliant, after all is'nt that what kite flying is all about and if it all goes wrong so what we can have a laugh at ourselves and a beer afterwards and I imagine the public will see the funny side of it as well, might make potential Rev flyers not feel so intimidated and more likely to give it a go themselves.

#34 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:21 AM

With so many people setting up for the mega fly it is important that everyone can set up and pack away quickly and efficiently.

Based on some observations of less experienced flyers I have recently seen, may I suggest that they take the following tips into account.. for their every day flying too.

1. Wind all 4 lines onto a figure-8 winder. Don't waste time winding out one pair at a time. Leave handles attached. You don't need to separate left and right, but it may help to mark one handle and lineset at both ends of the sleeving with marker pen, as long as you remember to always attach that set on the same side of the kite! Get some coloured sleeving, green for "Go" (ie top lines) red for "Stop" (ie bottom lines) and always remember your colour sequence when attaching your lines (can cause severe confusion if you get it wrong!) :kid_smartass: Always carry your line winder and a ground stake with you. Always!

2. Start at the handle end. Place your handles around a ground stake, it's easier if you put them in a 'W' shape so separating left and right sides. This will help in the untangling stage later! Wind out the lines and when you get to the end, separate the two pairs apart at arms length. You can start to untangle now, pulling gently to undo most of the twists and tangles. If a friend can help move the twists towards you it will help too, but you can also do this by yourself as it's easier if the kite isn't attached.

3. When assembling the kite, face the wind and lay the kite face down leading edge towards your handles. It's a lot easier when your kite is not flipping all over the place, especially in high winds, but I saw someone struggling with this in 5mph wind at Brighton yesterday. Why make life hard for yourself and risk damage!

4. When attaching lines, place kite face down, leading edge towards your handles, on top of the lines and about 2 feet closer than the ends of the lines. Flip up each wing up in turn, prop it up with your head, and this leaves you in a nice wind (and rain!) sheltered spot in which to attach your lines with both hands, checking the bridle is free before you attach them.

5. Pick the kite up by its leading edge, and gently turn it over and place leading edge down on the ground. It will not take off or fall over in this way! Check your bridle is not tangled or caught up in any way NOW! Trace the lines back to the handles and finish your untangling at the handle end. Again if you get really stuck get a friend to assist. Don't take off unless absolutely necessary - make your adjustments with the kite still leading edge down. If 50 people are spinning around in the sky an accident WILL happen.

6. When packing away, do the opposite. Land kite leading edge down, turn over onto its face with leading edge towards the handles. Detach the kite from the lines, making sure you pair up each set by larks heading the sleeving together, take up the tension on the lines gently, then wind up onto your figure-8 winder. Stick your deassembled and rolled up kite under your arm as you wind in.

Efficiency will be everything, with an event this size!

I guess we will have a small ground crew who will be able to assist, but if you're going to faff about while an audience of thousands watches, the rest might not wait for you! :blue-confused:

Hezz

#35 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:03 AM

1. Wind all 4 lines onto a figure-8 winder. Don't waste time winding out one pair at a time. Leave handles attached. You don't need to separate left and right, but it may help to mark one handle and lineset at both ends of the sleeving with marker pen, as long as you remember to always attach that set on the same side of the kite! Get some coloured sleeving, green for "Go" (ie top lines) red for "Stop" (ie bottom lines) and always remember your colour sequence when attaching your lines (can cause severe confusion if you get it wrong!)

I understand the need for efficiency, but worth remembering the old saying "more haste, less speed". Simultaneous winding of 4 lines can lead to much more confusion with line twists (maybe it's just the way I wind 'em).

I've also got the saying "Black at the baa-dum" drilled into my consciousness, so Red and Green (port and starboard?) doesn't do it for me, Sorry :kid_frustrated:

The other observation if giving directions to novice flyers *on the day* (I'm sure this forum is preaching to the converted anyway) is to have the top end of the handles closest to the stake and kite set with leading edge down to avoid accidental launch - by far the most significant risk for the exercise! May be worth having a valiant friend available to turn kites over for those that are more nervous and need to launch leading edge up.

Can't wait to see the informal at Portsmouth.......
Andy

#36 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

Line management will be a crucial part of our clinic on Monday.

iQuad winds all four at the same time (LaserPro), we can set up in 3-4 minutes (to clear lines), and tear down in 5-6 minutes.

99.9% reliable, unless someone else mucks with our lines.

John Barresi

#37 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:36 AM

oooo, steady guys, I didn't mention any names in my posting, and I wasn't having a go at anyone's "personal methods" for whatever reason they have. But now you mention it, I wouldn't come over and offer my 'advice' because we tried that at Basingstoke, remember?

We were all beginners once and made mistakes (like the first time I put a Rev together on my own, I put the spars on the front and flew it for 5 minutes before realising! :kid_frustrated: ) but part of learning is being shown 'alternate' ways of doing things by more experienced people. We've all been there (and you never stop learning even after 10+ years).

In a constricted area like we'll be in at Bristol and Portsmouth, anything that can save time in setting up / packing away will help. I'm not suggesting we all have to be timed like in the pit lane at a Formula 1 race! but at least have some awareness of the difficulties of flying in such an area - you can't afford for your kite to take off and wipe out a whole line of other people or stand around in 20mph winds with your kite flapping around trying to assemble it when there is an easier way.

Please feel free to ignore anything I have written if it in any way offends you, for a moment there I thought we were in GWTW... :blue_wink:

Hezz

P.S. It's true about the trousers, they have to be regulation grey or Stephen gets upset...

#38 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

Some of us take 5-6 minutes. We fly for fun, and are not concerned about how we look to others. If I can pick up some pointers at the clinic, all well and good, but I for sure 'aint gonna be bullied into doing things I am not comfortable with or simply don't want to do.

I undersatnd that some pros get paid for flying. In which case, I am sure you want to fly the best you can. I am an ameteur. I fly team with friends for fun. I do it my way. Take it or leave it.

Are you going to ban chatting, smoking and drinking at the Clinic John? This will take up more than the extra minute or so for winding lines the 'Wrong way'???

Surely the 'crucial' part of the clinic is for us ALL to have fun, or am I missing the point here?

Wow Groz, I'm not sure where that came from... ? Ouch, eh? :huh:

I was just telling folks how easily it comes for us, not laying down law... There's no rush or time limit for setting up or tearing down.

After reading a comment about line management being problematic for some, I was simply letting people know it's possible to get through it out reliably without problems... Our clinics are about sharing information and making it available, not about enforcing any kind of a standard. :P

John Barresi

#39 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

Perhaps Groz* didn't recognise me in Flying Squad clothes, flying the new Revs? :blue-confused:

You were setting up right next to us, leading edge up. No wind, kite falls on its face. You walk back to it, lean kite back again, no wind, kite falls on its face again. I offer advice, "put it on its leading edge it won't fall over and you can launch from there". You do the same again, I offer advice again and yet you just choose to ignore it. OK.

I shrugged to the person next to me and let you get on with it. Perhaps Simon had more luck.

Hezz
* edit, to clarify.

#40 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

Having read some of the post recently it looks as though we are all getting geared up ready for the event and we should all have a great time.

There have been some helpful, some well intentioned and always interesting posts on set up and flying and I am sure there will be some more soon. I know that above all we are all in it for the fun and I can't wait to see how it all pans out.

Having flown at both festivals I know that spare space is limited and so we will all need to be aware of people around us. The key points from the posts so far seem to be:

Watch your kite (Mine's the blue, white and black one so I'm ok :kid_smartass: )
Watch out for the general public (they do like to help launch kites :blue_wink: )
Wind in and out safely (however, you like to do it)
Be aware of the people around you.

This is all things that happens when you fly team anyway and with so many people in so small a space it will be even more important. We cannot avoid problems entirely but we can reduce them a great deal. And if anyone needs a hand with their kites or lines and I am next to you, just shout. I respond to "Oi you" or my old school nickname "Bugger-Off Hoath" ah fond memories

As Daniel (my 5yr old son) tells me (assume very serious face) Team work gets it done Daddy!

See you all soon and I would love to hear if anyone else has some other ways of setting up that either works really well or that should be avoided like the plague.

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users