#1 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:45 PM

If I wanted to...

I've been thinking the last couple of minutes of dead forum time about changing my bridle. Anyone think a bridle made from 90# Laser Pro Gold would be a problem? If so, why? Prove your case, either way. Opinions count on this one.

Dean :matrix:

Sorry if the deep thought request hurts. Missery loves company and I'm hurtin after Mooin' this one over. :w00t:

#2 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:51 PM

i made a bridle from 40# spectra and it works great .. 2 things youll want to do one put a drop of crazy glue on the knots and 2 keep the wind rang at a low.. 0 to 5 no more then that
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#3 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Well, thats why I was thinking 90#, was that as long as I stayed within the wind range (not a problem most of the time) it would work.

[attachment=2406:Picture_007.jpg]

Rev 1

#4 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:36 PM

Since I forgot on my last post.... :wacko:

I will if I do it, used just enough sleeving (150# Dacron?) to make the connections where either the attachments are made and where the bridle lines hook together. When tied for the final time I will burn the end of the sleeving/line forming a plastic like nub on the end meaning neither the line or sleeving can move cause they're both glued together.

#5 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

I avoid spectra bridles, as they tend to slip and distort over time... I prefer cored Dacron, maybe 100# for a lighter bridle.

There's so little difference in weight (overall), a little light wind technique would do much more for you.

Nice kite, a little history to go with it... Those were the same colors used by Team High Performance from Hawaii, before they got their custom sails. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#6 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

well you can use that if you want to but if your looking for a bridle to use in winds 5 mph or more then spectra is not needed.. spectras are great for light winds but if not made properly then like john said they can get fouled up in time.. make a couple of spectra bridles with no sleeves as they are not needed either and do it with both 90# and 40# and see what you like better.. you will find these bridles better for the light winds better trust me
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#7 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:29 PM

Maybe thats where the 7 wrap thing came from. :w00t: Strong Hawaiian rods.
My fathers I bought for his birthday that same year is the exact oppisite. Teal center with the white tips. Beautiful flying together.

I'll try your idea Ant Man. I will eventually try the cored Dacron. I was thinking about the light wind properties when considering the new bridel. Anything to shave weight, ya know. Already tried bridelless. Granted, I attempted that in heavy wind. Tips touching in the middle of the window wasn't what I had in mind.

Since then I put the bridel back on. In doing so I noticed every knot and connection was at a minimum of one half inch off compared to the other side. Sooooo, I put one of the rods through the loop of the shortest knot or connection and retied the loops. Since I've done that the bridle is alot closer to the sail and the lowest tow point is alot closer to the tip than what it was before and compared to any other Rev I've seen a pic of online. I was worried I'd screwed something up till I noticed in the first reflight (with bridel) that reverse flight was suddenly possible. Still doesn't really side slide. But it can fly backwards now. kinda

#8 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:37 PM

As for light wind technique, I pretty much always fly like I'm indoors. The only time my hands are together is in vertical flight. Horizontal flight means the top hand is always pulled in about at least a foot compared to the bottom hand. And yes, in spins or turns my hands do swap up and down depending on kite direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users