10 replies to this topic

#1 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

So I've been trying out a bunch of different things between hand position, top and bottom leader settings etc. Also reading the posts from others about different tuning and tweaks that can be made.
However one comment by John that stuck out from another topic was his saying that with respect to hand position, the index finger is right at the top of the foam rubber and that that is the mainstay of all the iquad flyers to maintain speed and continuity amongst all of them in team flying.

My question than is this, what is the favored thumb and pinky postions? IE: Top of the end cap or over it, pinky stretched out or wrapped on foam? etc.
I've been experimenting with various different positions and was curious what others found favorable. Obviously everybody flys with whats most comfortable for themselves but if there is a favored position that can be learned, I'd like to know.

Also saw else where that David Hathaway had mentioned he sets his bottom line out only one inch and all line adjustments for balance are made from the top knotted leader only. Is that an across the board assesment that most find favorable?

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#2 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

[attachment=2403:Rev_001.jpg] My normal grip on the handles....

[attachment=2404:Rev_002.jpg] My leader adjustments.... Most of the time I am at the end knot on top and the 3rd knot from the end on bottom. Light and higher winds I'm at the end on bottom and either the 2nd or 3rd from the end on top. I'm goofy :w00t:

#3 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:08 PM

The reasoning for my grip is this...
With the fore finger on the metal above the foam I get one, more feeling from the top lines as apposed to through the foam. Two, when I start noticing a loss of forward movement from the kite I release the middle and ring finger and the handle pivots around my fore finger and I get the lift back.
The thumb position makes sure that my hand stays in the same position the whole time. It's not creeping up and down. And I am sure to have maximum leverage on the brakes.
My pinky position is not only a comfort thing, cause for me, the middle and ring finger is enough to consistantly give control to the handles but the pinky being behind the handle is a constant reminder to keep my thumbs back.
If I didn't have the top and bottom adjustments on my handles my grip would probably make flying a Rev difficult. In my opinion, you find what hand position works for you, stick with it. Your top and bottom leader adjustments may not be what is considered the norm. But everyone is different, and in teams it's the pilot that is the team member, not the hand position or the handle adjustments. Also, with the top and bottom adjustments on the leaders, it seems like the two leaders can be equal in length and by far more tunable to your wind and flying style.

Dean :matrix:

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

When I fly, I have my index finter on the top of the foam, my thumb on the top cap, and the rest of the fingers just there to keep the handles in my hands.

My lines are set up on the ends of the pigtails on standerd b-series handles, and one knot back on the bottoms of stock 1.5 handles.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

Dean, your hand position is fairly similar to mine, but my pinky is in front of the handle, quite relaxed... It's there for leverage when I need it... On the back (as shown in your photos), it's non-functional and out of play.

To add my 2 cents to Watty's comments on tuning, my bottom settings are simlilar, but my top leaders are about 2-3" longer than what's on the B-Series handles and I'm on the last or second to last knot.

I'm really uncomfortable on B handles (even maxed out on brakes), but if we sold B handles set up like mine, newer pilots wouldn't even be able to launch, without some hands-on training.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#6 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:33 PM

I tend to use a lot of brake.... well more than most rev fliers. as for tuning... you just need to find what is best for you and your style.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

i have 9 inch leaders on top with knots 1 inch apart and 1 inch leaders with 1 knot on the bottoms.. my handles are also homemade from light weight titianum..i find the b series handles ok but like mine better as the lighter weight lets me feel the kite more and the longer leaders give me the brake i really want
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

Dean, your hand position is fairly similar to mine, but my pinky is in front of the handle, quite relaxed... It's there for leverage when I need it... On the back (as shown in your photos), it's non-functional and out of play.

To add my 2 cents to Watty's comments on tuning, my bottom settings are simlilar, but my top leaders are about 2-3" longer than what's on the B-Series handles and I'm on the last or second to last knot.

I'm really uncomfortable on B handles (even maxed out on brakes), but if we sold B handles set up like mine, newer pilots wouldn't even be able to launch, without some hands-on training.

I added another knotted leader (5" or so) to my tops just to check it out and while launching is a bit tougher, once up and flying the sensitivity is entirely different. Takes a bit of getting used to........

JB,
I seem to remember you saying somewhere else that your index finger or any fingers for that matter except your thumb, don't touch any part of the handle other than the foam rubber. Am I incorrect?

"Cya in the Sand!....."

av-1950.jpg

#9 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

Rich, for the style I use, yes.

On rare occasion, if I'm in light wind and trying to reach the very top of the window, I might let the very top of the handles "hang" off my index finger, but I don't keep it there for long, just to gain altitude, or to maintain an upright hover in light wind. ;)

==

FYI for those reading, to add reference to the discussion, B-Series top leaders are 7" long.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#10 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:01 PM

For my pinky being behind the handle, it's there as a comfort and reminder thing. With the Rev 1, if the wind comes up, I might start with the pinky behind the handle (being dead) but it's a REAL short move to the foam if I need any more leverage on the handle. In which that normally means I'm pushing the wind range of my Rev. Guess I've got a strong grip and Popeye forearms :w00t:

Really I didn't think our hand position would be alike John. Maybe I use ALOT of break too and just don't have anyone else to compare it too. Basically I set up to were the first attempt at take off results in the kite trying to set back down. Then I move the bottom setting out one knot till I get forward flight. I try to set myself up to were the handles are at about a 45 degree angle. Any more than that I'm either in light wind or trying to dump wind.

MAN, now I gotta try a newer better Rev. I might be the next Barresi :w00t:

Dean :matrix:

I really hope I don't come off as an arrogant jerk. I'm just trying to have some fun and am somewhat confident when flying in this crappy world. Guess thats the definition of a Rev or kite Freak is when flying is what you look forward to when you wake up in the morning. Well other than my wife and my two boys anyway.
:sign_kitelife:

#11 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:11 AM

Rich, for the style I use, yes.

On rare occasion, if I'm in light wind and trying to reach the very top of the window, I might let the very top of the handles "hang" off my index finger, but I don't keep it there for long, just to gain altitude, or to maintain an upright hover in light wind. ;)

==

FYI for those reading, to add reference to the discussion, B-Series top leaders are 7" long.

Got it. Thx. That pretty much sums it up on how I'm driving lately.....longer top leaders, abt a foot or so in length, 3 to 5 inches on the bottom, tho kept in rather tight. And most imp, hands rather low on the handles except in lighter winds or trying to gather height.

The experimentation and various characteristic styles make this such an awesome kite to put through its paces. LOVING my new LIME Vent. Its a real smooth operator.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

av-1950.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users