Not to rain on anyone's parade re: this stake but it is my opinion, (others may consider it worthless:sq-tongue:) but any stake with hooks seems problematic to me as just another snag point.
I think more importantly though......the kite should never be left parked, attended or unattended, with the leading edge facing up!!!!!
That is a NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would normally go into a rant here, because GENERALLY I agree with not parking rightside-up. There are a few reasons that I prefer to park the kite that way...
- I have been using lights on my leading edge lately, (It's Winter in Alaska...daytime lasts all of a few hours here) and parking the kite leading edge down in the snow causes problems I shouldn't need to go into if you know anything about electricity. We're in Alaska, so not having snow isn't a possibility for 7 months of the year.
- Again, the snow... It's not much trouble getting the snow off of the bottom tips, whereas it is quite a hassle to get it out of the leading edge.
- In the 2-3mph winds we have here, it's much easier for me to launch leading edge up. I have 2 separate physical disabilities that make it very hard for me to launch leading edge down. While I CAN do it, it often causes large amounts of pain, so I try not to if I can help it. Especially with the shockwave that I just got...lol
- When using the handles in the stake, I have never had a self-launch issue. Also, in the snow, it isn't likely that the kite's bottom tips will slide out from under it like they do on sand or lowcut grass.
- Did I mention that the snow on the leading edge lights is REALLY a problem?
- The stake is all of 18" tall BEFORE pounding it in, if you snag a line onnit, yer flying while laying on the ground, and while that is often the way I wish I COULD fly my kite, there is no more risk of snagging a line on the stake "hooks" than there is with anything else sticking out of the ground.
- I generally only use the stake to setup my kite, (see the post I made about that elsewhere) and then use the cone's base to park when I am parking leading edge down.
Okay...rant done. Though I'd welcome ANYONE who wanted to come up here in January to show me an easier way to launch leading-edge down...